3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 137011 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11780 on: December 01, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Ah, I have muttered those same words before.......5 bows ago. LOL. I have my next "last" bow comming next Thursday
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11781 on: December 01, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Yeah nineworlds9 I agree with you.  David's attention to detail and perfection just might create the ultimate American Semi-longbow.  I don't think anyone is crafting one better.  I have two of them and hope to order a third next year.  Best of luck with it.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11782 on: December 01, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Hey Hill Fans - Just thought I'd show off the Hill Style longbow I just finished building.  It's 68", 54# @ 28". It has brown glass on the back, gray glass on the belly, amber actionboo cores, and myrtle riser.  I really like how it turned out and I just came in from giving it it's first workout.

If you're interested, I documented the building process over on the Bowyers Bench.
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=009131;p=1
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11783 on: December 01, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
great work there bud!!!!!  I am so jealous of you guys with talent.  Ill cook your breakfast lunch and dinner for a month for a bow like that!!!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11784 on: December 01, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Oh, and that is the prettiest myrtle I have every seen

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11785 on: December 01, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Love the glass color choices!!

Very nice bow Sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11786 on: December 01, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Very Nice!  :thumbsup:

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11787 on: December 01, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Excellent work jsweka!  Love the gray glass.  I'm thinking of going with a gray belly on a build I have in mind down the road.  Enjoy that beauty.  I gotta learn how to build one of these things.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11788 on: December 01, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by mikebiz:
Yeah nineworlds9 I agree with you.  David's attention to detail and perfection just might create the ultimate American Semi-longbow.  I don't think anyone is crafting one better.  I have two of them and hope to order a third next year.  Best of luck with it.
Thanks Mike, I briefly owned a Big5 a couple weeks ago before I sold it back to the owner (he had seller's remorse haha) and while the Big5 was plenty nice, I feel the Miller is even better, but like all things everyone has their preference and I love all bows (don't want to get flamed haha) Building my little collection thus far my goal has been to have one outstanding example of each bow type (except recurve, not my thing) R/D, American long, takedown etc.  The Miller more than fits the bill for the American long slot.  

And as for it being my "last" Hill bow, well we'll see  ;)   Might have to try a split bamboo someday haha, maybe something really long like 72"...
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11789 on: December 01, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Gorgeous bow build jsweka!

When life with the kids gets a little less hectic I'm gonna try my hand at one myself but that's a way off.

You're setting the standard high!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11790 on: December 01, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Of my Hill style bows my Granpa is easily the most accurate. It just has that natural 'point at what I want to hit quality' and I'm really trying to figure of what gives it such intrinsic shoot-ability so I can hopefully reproduce that in other bows builds in the future.

It is my only stringfollow bow, is all bamboo (no glass), dished grip (my others are straight) and heavier by 12 pounds than anything else I shoot.

My theory so far is:

- the string follow makes it more forgiving
- the deep, dished grip causes the arrow point on distance to be closer than my straight gripped bows thereby making it easier to get the right 'instinctive' sight picture
- the extra weight cleans up my release
- the all bamboo, string follow design causes it to feel much lighter than its draw weight and gentler in the hand on release (reducing flinch).

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this topic (particularly the stringfollow element).....
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline FXJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11791 on: December 01, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Is the Liberty Classic a hill style bow? I like the reverse handle--two N.M. Whispers--but I want to try the string follow bow.
   Frank X.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11792 on: December 02, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
The all wood bow has a nice linear thrust to it's shot, no whipping, no snapping, just a smooth progressive thrust.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11793 on: December 02, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I wonder if Ron LeClair is still shooting the same way he always has. I love that relaxed anchor on your lips style. My target draw is over 29" my relaxed anchor on the lips is just under 26." Wonder which one would wear my cartilage out sooner....

Offline louislucido

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11794 on: December 02, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
I just acquired my Hill style bow for life, no need for another:  2nd hand mint condition Miller Old Tom 66" 50@28.  Truly excellent craftsmanship, graceful/elegant shaped limb tips, gorgeous myrtle riser.  I think he's got one up on HH bows.  Awesome shooting bow.  Draw I can only describe as "liquid".
Chuck ,Glade you Like My bow !!! LOL

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11795 on: December 02, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Lets see some pics of this Old Tom then.... :-)
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11796 on: December 02, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Yes post em up!
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11797 on: December 02, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Random photo with my new Legacys. They fly well with 160gr Howard Hill broadheads and a long adapter for 207gr up front.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11798 on: December 02, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Sweet build sweka!

Brian, I saw the Shrew Hill on the auction, it was pulled.  I contacted the buyer and he's a tradgang member, and sold it to me straight.  Another really incredible design, great feel and it's actually center shot!!! Between the Miller Split Boo, the Shrew Hill, and Northern Mist Classic, I can't decide which to shoot anymore....all of them is what I've come up with    :archer:    :archer2:    

Not cut to center, but he built it so the string aligns with the limbs, but is lightly offset at the grip/riser so it can take a stiffer spine and more spines of arrows.

This copies Hill's design and few bowyers go to that extreme.  It's pretty awesome, but takes more work to make it that way.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11799 on: December 02, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Rosco,  the heavier draw weight can make a big difference as you are seeing.  Flatter trajectory, cleaner release.  That will usually make you a happy archer. Unfortunately i am stuck with lower draw weights due to injuries, but i have played with them enough to know.  I would love to shoot the 55+# bows.  It makes a big difference if you can handle it.

That said,  I have never shot a string follow ANY better than a backset or straight. I think partly it may be due to a little quicker arrow and thus, flatter trajectory when there's  backset. I have a couple SF that I really like, but I think it's the overall design, not so much the SF.  

Don't give up on a well designed backset bow like the one you have in the same weight.  You may end up with 2 favorites!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©