3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 136924 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #11840 on: December 06, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Here is my new Jerry Hill Wildcat 68" 54@28, two lams of boo, only glass running up the belly of the riser.  Dark brown glass.  The finish is kinda rough on the riser section, sorta like someone tried to do it themselves sometime. Riser is unknown, just  a dark wood.

2" of REFLEX, WOW, it is something else to see in person.

Locator grip, I am planning on building it out to a straight, but it shoots good.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11841 on: December 06, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
The shelve is cut like a drainage ditch, its amazing,  My 2018 sits right in it.  It is un real.  Looking at the shelve from the belly it looks like "U" This thing shoot amazing, very very well behaved. Not too quick, but very shootable. The draw is extremely smooth, it does not feel like 54lbs so I will scale it to verify.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11842 on: December 06, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Cool bow Brian.  I've been thinking about a Jerry Hill just to try.  Saw a few of them around lately.   Gotta find my weight though.  

So is there only glass on the belly or back?  I'm confused by the pictures.  And take a shot of that shelf?  See if you can get a shot looking straight down it.  Thanks.

You also mentioned building out the grip to make it a straight.  I would love to do this with a locator grip bow I have.  How would you do it?  Add leather or some wood behind the grip?
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11843 on: December 06, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Mike,
No lams run up the belly of the riser, only glass. And I am thinking of using epoxy putty to fill on the locator section, then rasp it smooth and to shape.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11844 on: December 06, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by rushlush:
I just received a new to me Pete George, man does it zip an arrow. Will try to get some pics up soon.
Hey rushlush let's see the specs on that Pete George.  Pete's bows are awesome.  I just sold my last one and hope to find another in my spec range someday.  I only sold them because they were too heavy for me.  Loved his work.  The size of his limb tips is crazy small.  Fine craftsmanship.  Enjoy it.    

Oh, and you already know this but:

"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11845 on: December 06, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
I am curious about info on turning a locator grip into a straight grip.  I have a locator grip on my HHA bow, which I like.  My next HHA bow I plan to order straight.  If I decide I like the straight better I may convert the locator bow.  I was thinking using Bondo and then just sanding it down to where it blends back to a straight grip.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11846 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Brazos
If you clean the area well, get the bondo with fiberglass in it. Then build it up, it will take multiple applications since bondo is thinner and will shrink. Then as you said shape it seamlessly.

Offline Mushin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11847 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I just did the grip on my Redman today. I used 2 part epoxy, built it up then used a sander to make it straight.epoxy seems way tougher than bondo.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11848 on: December 06, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Do you have any pics of the process or finished product Mushin?

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11849 on: December 06, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Just regular old two part epoxy?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11850 on: December 06, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Did you use epoxy putty? the two part moldable?

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11851 on: December 06, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
herre is a picture of the shelve as requested.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11852 on: December 06, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
don't mind that art work on the wall, the little girl is the next picasso

Offline Mushin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11853 on: December 06, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
What i use is locktite 2part,from the Home Depot.I mainly use it in furniture restoration.Once it dries it sands ok not as smooth as bondo but ok to cover with leather.Would love to post picture if somone can guide me through it.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11854 on: December 06, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
I like that shelf. I'm having a bit of a time keeping the arrow on the minimalist shelf on my NM Classic when holding the bow vertical during tuning. That shelf would work nicely!
Chuck

Offline Mushin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11855 on: December 06, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Brian, the moldable would work better.I just use what i have.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11856 on: December 07, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
So I got to shoot the JHill some more last night after the kids went to bed and I REALLY do like this bow. I will say I don't think it is made for a first time Hill shooter though.. It has more feedback at the grip than others that I have shot, and a newbi to Hill bows WILL feel the handshock, BUT with that said, if you have shot this style for a while and are use to some bump then they are pretty good bows.  My C&N is a faster,, and more gentle in the hand bow than this, as was the Wesesly. But this bow does have a lot of appeal. Enough that it took my C&Ns spot on the rack.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11857 on: December 07, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Holy smokes!  It's been busy to say the least. I don't think I had logged in to TG for a couple of months.  It's taken me forever to get caught up on this thread.  A few take aways:

1 - I'm gonna give Tenkara fishing a try.
2 - I'm really looking forward to the Hill Hog hunt this winter so I can try out some different grips.
3 - I think I'll videotape myself one of these days and see what it looks like.  I have no idea how close I come to a lot of things y'all keep talking about.
4 - I think I sprained something falling out of the chair reading Killie and Ron going on about pinups...

My shooting with the Hill has come a long way since I hung up the recurve in February and dedicated myself to one bow.  The squirrel population has taken a hit this fall.  As for the deer -- well that's a sad story.  I had one easy shot at first light on a nice 6pt.  Didn't clearly see where the arrow hit, and never got it back.  Blood trail completely stopped after about 1/4 mile, but was big and easy to follow until that point.  Several (more experienced) people came out and helped, but we never did recover what would have been my first buck and my first deer with a Hill.  That was a month ago.  Planning to get back out there for the first time since this afternoon and tomorrow.  After seeing everyone's pictures, I just can't wait for this afternoon to roll around.  Here's hoping I redeem myself....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11858 on: December 07, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11859 on: December 07, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic: