3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 136687 times)

Offline BigJ1632

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12020 on: December 10, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I draw 31" and I'm 6'7" tall.  Currently shooting a Martin Mountaineer ML14 that draws 50@28, so I figure I'm pulling 57ish at full draw.  Asked the same question on another board and they told me that the Martin is not thought of highly, but I shoot well with it and it hasn't given me any problems.

I guess I'd be looking for something in the 65-75 lb range. Id like to find something gently used so it doesn't break the bank. Thanks for all the replies!
HH Wesley Special 58@31
Martin ML14 50@28
Bear Hunter T/D 50@28

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12021 on: December 10, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
BigJ,

Man you are a tall drink of water!  I would talk to Craig at Howard Hill Longbows to be sure but I would guess a 70 inch longbow would be fine, a 68 inch may be pushing it.  It is doable to find a used one that looks nice and is not a ton of money.

What type of grip do you like?  Most here like straigth or slight dish, but others really like a locator.

How long is your Martin?  Gererally the longer the bow the smoother the draw.  I have shot Martin bows.  I never thought they were a bad bow.  Everyone I shot really zipped an arrow to boot.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit.

Good luck!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12022 on: December 11, 2012, 05:49:00 AM »
I'm 6'1" and draw just over 30" with my weird form/freakish arms and I shoot a sweet 69" bow. 70" is probably the ticket. It may be hard to find one used though at that length. 66" and 68" seem to be the norm. You might have to save up a little longer and get one made. You are one big guy!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12023 on: December 11, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Got my copy of Charlie Lambs book Yesterday.

Great read.
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12024 on: December 11, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Khard,  we've seen your video and know what you look like     :scared:    

BigJ, go long on the bow. 70".  Start with a straight grip, you can make changes that way.  It's probably the most common too.  Make sure you don't over bow yourself, stepping up 10+ # is a jump.  Most of us shoot on the lighter end (women's bows as we found out) and have no problem killing game.  With that draw length,  I would never be worried about the weight you pull.  

Have fun with the search, and good luck!

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12025 on: December 11, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
So, while I'm very happy with the bow(s) I have, like many here I can't help looking occasionally to see what someone is getting rid of.

It makes me pause to see the almost untouched HHA bows that keep popping up.  Many I've seen on this thread before, back when the finish was fresh and the owners so proud.  Today on the auction site, I saw three.  Two were heavy, 85# and 100#.  I remember the one specifically, because it had the inscription about using as a club when the day came that the owner could no longer draw the bow.

I got hooked on all y'all's Hill Hype 2 years ago and bought a blank from Craig.  Never shot it that well, figured it was something I had done incorrectly.  Spent time on the phone with Nate and tried to adjust the tiller and my shooting style some.  Still not happy with how I sprayed arrows all over.  Bought a used Tembo at a few pounds lighter about a year ago that I had seen pictures of on tradgang previously.  Less than a year old and I was the third owner.  Still didn't shoot it that well.  Sent it back to Craig to retiller for 3under and get rid of the stupid inscription.  Got it back, still didn't shoot it that well.  Ya'll are full of it!  What happened to all that extremely accurate and forgiving stuff everyone kept talking about?  Listening to you guys was like crack cocaine.  I wanted more, but it just wasn't working out so well.

I almost gave up.  But I'm proud to say that I stuck with it.  I've been here since the beginning of this thread and have seen a lot of guys (some rather notable ones too) fade away, apparently finding a cure for the bug.

I had a bad day at work yesterday, so to keep my mind occupied I visualized myself shooting.  It made the day go much faster.  When I got home, I put up the floodlight and shot in the mist for awhile.  Shot quite well.  Nothing out of this world to brag about, but well enough.  And it felt good.  Shots out to 35 paces. Shots from my knees.  Shots from behind trees.  Only a couple of flyers that wouldn't have landed on a paper plate.

Anyhow, when the hog hunt comes around it will have been a full year since I've shot anything except the Tembo.  It's paying off and I couldn't be happier.  Thanks.

-Dave
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12026 on: December 11, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
Whoops, double post...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12027 on: December 11, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
That was pretty good right there

My rant/whine. My new JD berry vixen is sitting in the post office while I am here "supposed" to be building a 20 story elevator and I'm not getting anything done. My helper is off prepping and here I sit staring at prints, but seeing my Vixen, cold and alone, crying out for a rescue.   I don't know if I'll stay at work all day!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12028 on: December 11, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Ouch!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12029 on: December 11, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Hi Y'all,

I am a right handed shooter.  I was practicing from odd positions the other night and noticed when I reverse cant my arrows impact to the left consistently about 4 or 5 inches from my normal point of aim (only at about 10 yards).  I have read in Byron's book that increasing the amount of cant (to the right) can bring your arrows to the right.  Is this why I was seeing consistent impacts to the left more than usual? Or was it because I was pulling myself out of alignment somehow by reversing the cant (form issue)?

I can easily learn to aim to the right in these situations but was wondering if there was a better way by correcting a form flaw?

Greg

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12030 on: December 11, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Greg, most shooting left in canting the bow to the right or left and having the arrow impact to the left is simply the change in your form, such as short drawing and the lack of back tension. It is amazing how a simple close shot will show you that you are drawing short and without the proper back tension before the release. Another contributing factor which most archers never consider is the depth of the handle, if tooo
deep will mke the arrows impact to the right consistantly making one beleive the arrow is underspined, the individual archer must find the correct size handle for his size hands, then the bow will become so forgiving as to spine and mass weight of the arrow, the shot grouping will close down. The shot grouping with the correct arrow will be so outstanding the archer will be pleased with himself and archery becomes such a pleasure when you take struggle out. Get out and enjoy. later Jacques

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12031 on: December 11, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
I need to share.  And you guys are the few that might appreciate it.

My wife is trying to get me to say yes to three girl scout archery events this spring.  (I did one for 90 girls over 14 hours in October, three more is intimidating.)     :bigsmyl:        :bigsmyl:        :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12032 on: December 11, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Every time I talk with CanopyBoy, I am always wondering what he is finagling for now.

I think the Girl Scouts won this one.
Killdeer   :goldtooth:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12033 on: December 11, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
Very jealous canopy! I want to take that class, but the cost is extremely prohibitive right now. Maybe someday!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12034 on: December 11, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I think the Girl Scouts won this one.
Now there I'll disagree.

First, I'd have done it anyway, so they didn't win nuttin'...

Second, further discussion of the details yielded the arrangement that she'd pay for the class if I paid for my own transportation, food, and lodging.  Hot damn!!! I was just looking for permission.  I win by an even bigger margin that first thought!

I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12035 on: December 11, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
Does this count as bragging?  'Cause I'm usually a rather humble gentleman...

:jumper:       :jumper:       :jumper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12036 on: December 11, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
canopyboy-

I bet when the girls go to college your wife won't ask you to teach archery anymore. LOL

Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12037 on: December 11, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
canopyboy-

Have you thought about Bob Wesley. Bob has the credentials and was taught by Howard. Bob won the World Championship in 1982 against guys like Ron LeClair and others. I had a friend that took his course years ago, and really enjoyed it!

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12038 on: December 11, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
What class?  Bow building?
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12039 on: December 11, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Dave...glad you stuck it out.  For some it clicks right away and for others the process is a little harder but the rewards of shooting these longbows are great!

Have fun at Miller's class!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©