3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 136651 times)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12060 on: December 11, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I can't say enough good things about Northern Mist bows. I have a little collection of them now. His attention to design and detail are matched by few.

I did some comparing with my Classic,  it's got all the characteristics I keep hearing about here: small tips, narrow limbs, deep cores, smooth as butter and great arrow cast. I like the straight grip, he made it custom for me. It's my Number 1 Hill style bow, hunting and target. I own/owned several makes of Hill style bows.  It's a worthy addition to the rack.

With regards to Hill style, the reverse handle Whisper is awesome too.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12061 on: December 11, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Matt, I will agree with you on all accounts.  For my money, JD Berry and Northern Mist are the best things going right now.  They have took an amazing bow design and tweaked them to near perfection
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12062 on: December 11, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »

For those that don't venture out the the Hill thread much.

I smeared some grease from my hands on the glass already !!!

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12063 on: December 11, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Thank you guys! I just hope the 68" will be good at my 30" draw... That might actually go down a bit as I can read in here!! It will be in the mail on saturday... So maybe here for Xmas!!
I'm sure I'll have a few/many questions to ask you guys when I get it!
Cheers

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12064 on: December 11, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
On that Vixen, I noticed on the website he said the nocks were different and safer.  Can you comment on this?  Nice looking bow!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12065 on: December 11, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
Matt,
Those are the "JD berry" nocks. They are not offered on the vixen, but his duo-flex models. They almost look like horn nocks of days gone by

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12066 on: December 11, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Matt like brian said. Jd hook nocks only on his upper end r/d bows. I have them on my taipan. They are safer cause the way they are made. The wont let the string half way slip off one side while stringing. Its either 100% on and seated . Or not on att all.  No catching the string loop on one side of the limb nock and not the other

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12067 on: December 12, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
David,You will love your Northern mist,I have a superior 66" with the old time green glass,real classic looking,it is an absolute rocket.that and my Dwyer classic are at the top of my list.I have a JD Berry renessaince that should be here in a day or two,can,t wait to try it.Best of luck with her.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12068 on: December 12, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
Thank you Steve. I'll need to order some shaft and make some arrows.... I will probably go with Surewood shaft...  So if the bow is 60#@28 and I draw 30, what should I expect the # to be? And if I want to use my Abowyer  Brown Bear 175 gr head, what spine should I go?
Thank you

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12069 on: December 12, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
Mikebiz, that is one SWEET Schulz! My guess from the looks of it is those numbers are brace height and nocking point.

I'm definitely partial to American Longbows!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12070 on: December 12, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
David: My Northern Mist bows were usually less lbs. on my digital scale  than stated on the bow. Steve said he uses a bow scale that acts like the hand rather than a hook like most scales. I would wait and put the bow on a scale before ordering shafts.
NFetscher

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12071 on: December 12, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
David,so funny you mention shafts,I just finished building two doz.Surewooda for my bows.Most of my longbows pull 53-55# at my draw 27-1/2.I had been shooting 65-70# Surewoods and they were a touch heavy.For my 60# bows there exellent.I went with 60-65# for these new ones.they turned out real good.Shafts from Surewood,Feathers from Magnus,arrows don't get any better!LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12072 on: December 12, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Thank you Guys, Now I have to find a bow scale... What is s good one that would be accurate??

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12073 on: December 12, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
Mikebiz, that is one SWEET Schulz! My guess from the looks of it is those numbers are brace height and nocking point.

I'm definitely partial to American Longbows!
Thanks Kyle.  Yeah, I really like this bow.  I'm getting acquainted with it.  

And wow did I pull a dopey move by not realizing what those numbers meant.  I must be loosing my mind.  Thanks for setting me straight.   :thumbsup:    I needed major help with that one.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12074 on: December 12, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
If you don't want to buy a bow scale you could probably buy a couple different spine shafts from Dave at Archery Past.  I think he sells Surewood and sells individual shafts
NFetscher

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12075 on: December 12, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Good to know Norm. But I think a bow scale could be use full, I have 3 bows and the kid's bow...
Cheers

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12076 on: December 12, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
David, that bow will draw 30" easily, you'll be right about 66#. Good choice on the Classic!

Eric

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12077 on: December 12, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Normf is right. Hill archery often makes them too heavy, and Northern Mist come in a touch light.  Nobody likes a standard way of measurement for us, I guess.  

That said, my NM bow shoots the same arrow as my Hill.  So the NM is 3# lighter....same arrow as the Hill.  So they are close anyway.

I'm a fan of tuning a couple shafts before just cutting them all!

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12078 on: December 13, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
This is on it's way to me. Big 5 68" 63@28. Really looking forward to it. Traded my Liberty Contender Elite to Braveraven (Dr. B). Hoping I can get along with the heavier weight.

God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12079 on: December 13, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Pretty Cocobolo!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©