3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 136565 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12160 on: December 17, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Paul,
The tiller is supposed to be even if my understanding is correct.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12161 on: December 18, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
You northern boys be careful about what yall think is warm.  A few years ago while I was working at a feed mill to pay for college we had some fellas from Montana come and do some work building a new rail car dump pit.  It turned into one of those nice days you know 31 degrees with this frozen mist hanging in the air that would melt on contact with you.  More than 5 minutes outside and even you socks would be wet.  Those poor montana boys had never had to fight the mist and just about froze to death.  I never had heard such whinning  :) .  Wet cold is hard to deal with.  
As a comparrison I stood on a mountain in colorado in the sun while wearing short sleves to keep from sweating in 20 degrees, no wind mind you.
Another humorus temp story(at least to me).  I got on a plane in August headed to Winona Minnesota.  The temp at home was a cool 113.  A local boat ramp made of asphalt was slidding about 2" a day into the lake.  When I arrived it was 86, felt great to me.  Not to them they were closing schools and gov buildings due to the "Heat wave".
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12162 on: December 18, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
I think even tiller for 3U is a nominal starting point.  I'm still learning, but it really comes down to the timing of the limbs and if the string pressure on your fingers feels even top top and bottom.  Moving your fingers drastically up and down the string and pulling back will give you the idea.  I think you can have bows with a positive tiller that are still perfect for 3U and even tiller for split.  They would probably be more positive for split and negative for 3U respectively.

I'm pretty sure if you quickly scroll through this thread Nate has said something about it before...    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12163 on: December 18, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
I would imagine 3 U is best with a longbow for noise to remain low.  I've seen curves be very noisy 3U as previously suggested by the low # bow test. The limbs don't stay in sync.

On that note, I wonder if Turay uses that "finger draw block" to tiller for 3U...seems like it would be the best way IMO...it would more closely align with what the string would truly look like when shooting 3U and the limbs could be aligned accordingly.  When a hook is used to draw the string, it wouldn't seem to approximate what is really happening when a real archer is drawing the bow.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12164 on: December 18, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Overspined...you are correct.  I use a leather sling to approximate fingers when tillering the bow and position the sling for split or three under.  But timing can only be felt while drawing and letting down...so you can only time a bow you can pull

« Reply #12165 on: December 18, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
When timing my bows my final test was always going for a perfect release while not choking the bow to see what the bows reaction would be with a low wrist and loose grip. For some reason the perfect 1/8" nocking point and the 1/8" perfect gull wing trace is there when the bow feels just right to me. It always surprised me how effective a few swipes with  sandpaper can be when working on final tillering.

« Reply #12166 on: December 18, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
To add to my post, I had a fellow stop by that wanted to try my 68" bow.  He claimed to have a 30" draw and I told him that my bow has never been drawn to even 28", so he could not shoot my bow. His own longbow is 50 pounds at his draw. He persisted and I gave in assuring him that my foot was going move his rectum up several inches if he pulled my bow past 27". I showed him how to shorten his draw. He shot his own bow with a locked straight arm, he looked like he was trying to fall over backwards, and he jammed his neck funny. Even though he was drawing more weight with my bow, his groups went from 20" at 18 yards down to 8". He insisted that it was the bow, it was him. His next comment was interesting, "What the hell am I going to do with this 70" wet noodle now?" I had a suggestion that involved a saw, a file and sandpaper that made him panic and run home before I could make bamboo dust.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12167 on: December 18, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
PAVAN,  That's hilarious.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12168 on: December 18, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
A Shultz Tembo just went for $362 on flea bay

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12169 on: December 18, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Ohhhh... Wish I'd seen that. :-(
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12170 on: December 18, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
A Shultz Tembo just went for $362 on flea bay
Already looking to replace the Vixen?     :p
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12171 on: December 18, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Just got in from slinging some arrows with my Wesley and I was wondering about Howard's anchor point. Looking at some pictures it looks like he anchors with his index finger in the corner of his mouth?

Another observation/question about the picture on p.414 is it looks like his scapula  is sticking out..... I have been trying this since seeing said photo and my body dosen't do that!

Thoughts.....
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12172 on: December 18, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Think your funny do you Pat!!!!! No actually while everyone else likes Miller, Shultz, George and the like I am a fan of Jerry hills. Which you will see pics of my new one in a few days. Ha a ha ha!!!!!!!! It is a sweet Stalker Delux

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12173 on: December 18, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blaino:
Just got in from slinging some arrows with my Wesley and I was wondering about Howard's anchor point. Looking at some pictures it looks like he anchors with his index finger in the corner of his mouth?

Another observation/question about the picture on p.414 is it looks like his scapula  is sticking out..... I have been trying this since seeing said photo and my body dosen't do that!

Thoughts.....
In his book he says he anchors the middle finger in the corner of his mouth, but it looks to be like the last tooth of the lower jaw

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12174 on: December 18, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
In his book he actually says he anchors at a tooth....not the corner of the mouth

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12175 on: December 18, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Nate he talks about it in different places. Page 65 , third paragraph down he states, "...draw my right hand is ABOUT the corner of the mouth..." then the 4th paragraph states "... Last lower jaw tooth is my anchor point."

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12176 on: December 18, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
I am just switching up to solely split finger and I have been anchoring index finger in the corner of my mouth ( top back tooth) but I am going to start practicing with the middle finger on the last top tooth and see how that goes

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12177 on: December 18, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
I have looked over those pics to and thought I had seen it in print, but did not check. So after grabbing the book I found it.  

I love this book

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12178 on: December 18, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Overspined,

I know my bows are NOT perfectly tillered but i get much more hand shock and noise when shooting 3 under.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12179 on: December 18, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
I'm not sure it matters where, just that you DO and that it is in a reasonable place. Everyone has a different face. Find a solid, bone place...well a couple places and get a good double anchor that is repeatable.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©