3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 136529 times)

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12180 on: December 18, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
I'm not sure it matters where, just that you DO and that it is in a reasonable place. Everyone has a different face. Find a solid, bone place...well a couple places and get a good double anchor that is repeatable.
I agree 100%. Everyone has a different style.  For instance, my cheeks don't allow me to anchor on my last tooth.

By the way you have turned me to a wood snob. Nothing shoots as good from my bow as wood!    :thumbsup:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12181 on: December 18, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Those surewoods are awesome. No doubt! I wish I could get them to shoot as well at my stupid long draw. If I short draw they fly fine but I can't hit anything.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12182 on: December 18, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I'm not sure it matters where, just that you DO and that it is in a reasonable place. Everyone has a different face. Find a solid, bone place...well a couple places and get a good double anchor that is repeatable.
Quote from Byron Ferguson about learning Howard's shooting method, "When I began to understand why I couldn't duplicate his method,I began making headway"
He realized his head shape was different than Howard's and that he had to anchor farther forward on his face to get the arrow right under his eye.
Unless you are built exactly like Howard odds are you're not going to have the exact same form.
And even then,I've heard that Howard's form was a result of trying to shorten his draw a little for arrow spine purposes.If that's the case why would you want to copy it if there's no need?Everyone is built different.I don't think a short muscular guy and a tall lanky guy are going to have the same form to get the shot angles correct.eye,anchor,arrow,hand,elbow.
You can use his fundementals but I doubt you'll be an exact copy.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12183 on: December 18, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Goshawkin...

exactly.  the Hill principles are just that...instruction and direction with allowances for differing physical make-ups.  I anchor with index finger on top bicuspid tooth and second finger on bottom tooth line because I can feel it more positively than just the 'corner of the mouth' and then also use my thumb along my jawbone as a second reference point.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12184 on: December 18, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
khard...you just need stiffer shafts, by probably 20# overspine with 125 heads and 30# overspine with 160 heads

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12185 on: December 18, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I tried a test kit up to 75-80 I think at full length the flew ok but not good nor consistent. Not heavy enough?
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12186 on: December 18, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
That pesky bow arm, stick it out straight and it will force you to do all kinds of funny stuff to get lined up, and good luck to you on game. Go pick up a heavy duffel bag, and see how you automatically put a good bend in your arm? that is called your bicep, it will work synergistically with your shoulder and arm so that it is not just a dead hang. That is the way you hang on to a Hill. A GOOD bend in the arm. Now just raise that up and draw. do not stick it out there, or try to extend that arm out to increase your draw. Finish with a straight back motion so that the arrow is in line with your pupil. Voila', natural, point and shoot, next time you see game try them both and see what gets you on target sooner! I think you will be a believer and abandon ye target archers form.
5'11" same wingspan, strong as B/O, 26" draw.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12187 on: December 18, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Goshawkin:

Quote from Byron Ferguson about learning Howard's shooting method, "When I began to understand why I couldn't duplicate his method,I began making headway"
He realized his head shape was different than Howard's and that he had to anchor farther forward on his face to get the arrow right under his eye.
Unless you are built exactly like Howard odds are you're not going to have the exact same form.
And even then,I've heard that Howard's form was a result of trying to shorten his draw a little for arrow spine purposes.If that's the case why would you want to copy it if there's no need?Everyone is built different.I don't think a short muscular guy and a tall lanky guy are going to have the same form to get the shot angles correct.eye,anchor,arrow,hand,elbow.
You can use his fundementals but I doubt you'll be an exact copy. [/b]
Just what I was going to quote. Thanks. I too love that book.  
And to the duffle bag stuff, I'm glad that works for ya, but I shoot more like Mr. Byron ferguson and the B.E.S.T. Bow arm posture and it works oh so well
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12188 on: December 19, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
Khard....
Long woodies are harder to tune because each shaft is a little different..but also they are easier to tune because each shaft id a little different.  I would try a very balanced arrow...not too tip heavy because you already have plenty of shaft weight with an arrow that spine.  Spining your arrows yourself is critical...or find a shaft that flies well with a head of 125 to  145 gr. And send that arrow to a top notch arrowsmith to spine for you and than match arrows to that.  You can add small amounts of lead to your heads to fine tune each arrow to match

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12189 on: December 19, 2012, 04:29:00 AM »
And don't forget the big feathers. 5.5" baby.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12190 on: December 19, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
I'll give it a shot Nate.

Swampthing, I'm pretty happy with how I'm shooting now. Thanks anyway.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12191 on: December 19, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
That pesky bow arm, stick it out straight and it will force you to do all kinds of funny stuff to get lined up, and good luck to you on game. Go pick up a heavy duffel bag, and see how you automatically put a good bend in your arm? that is called your bicep, it will work synergistically with your shoulder and arm so that it is not just a dead hang. That is the way you hang on to a Hill. A GOOD bend in the arm. Now just raise that up and draw. do not stick it out there, or try to extend that arm out to increase your draw. Finish with a straight back motion so that the arrow is in line with your pupil. Voila', natural, point and shoot, next time you see game try them both and see what gets you on target sooner! I think you will be a believer and abandon ye target archers form.
5'11" same wingspan, strong as B/O, 26" draw.
I'm a newbie to Hill style shooting but this is dead on for me. I'm very comfortable with my Shelton now and will slide back to my old style of shooting by habit from time to time. When I do, my groups open up and let me know it. I go back to a slight bend in my bow arm and the magic returns   :thumbsup:

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12192 on: December 19, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
I tried a test kit up to 75-80 I think at full length the flew ok but not good nor consistent. Not heavy enough?
The 75-80's are the ones that I have got to shoot great.  I put a 125 head on them and I swear they fly better then my 2219 or any carbons. My bow is marked 65@30.... just courious, what weight is your bow?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12193 on: December 19, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
I feel like more and more of us are adding stringfollow Hills to our stable of bows. Initially I thought this may be just coincidence but after shooting my stringfollow Schulz for the last 3 months I gotta say there is DEFINATELY something to it. I don't know exactly 'it' is but I do know that on a well executed shot there is no difference to my reflexed bows BUT on a poorly executed shot the stringfollow bow seems much better at cutting me some slack and still dropping my arrow into the right place.

Anybody else see the same thing? What makes the stringfollow your profile of choice?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12194 on: December 19, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
The bow isn't trying to jump past your hand upon release so you've reduced some inherent sensitivity.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12195 on: December 19, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
Kyle if it's any worth I thought your form looked real good, and if your shooting good then amen brother. I have tried the fluid shooting and can on moving targets but for 3d and hunting mine is more static. So kudos to you for having the ability to do it.
I look forward to some more of your videos
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12196 on: December 19, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
I tried them all Blaino, but I had to leave them at 32" to work for my draw of 30.75. Actually I may try to cut them to 31 next time and see if that helps.

My bow is 50@28 and 56@30
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12197 on: December 19, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Remember the spine decreases as the length of your arrow increases past 28" so those 75-80's full length are really 55-60#.

This is the main reason why Howard developed the style and draw he used in order to find stiff enough wood shafts.

khard, you've probably said in the past but what is your draw length with a Hill style? Also your height and shirt sleeve?
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12198 on: December 19, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
I feel like more and more of us are adding stringfollow Hills to our stable of bows. Initially I thought this may be just coincidence but after shooting my stringfollow Schulz for the last 3 months I gotta say there is DEFINATELY something to it. I don't know exactly 'it' is but I do know that on a well executed shot there is no difference to my reflexed bows BUT on a poorly executed shot the stringfollow bow seems much better at cutting me some slack and still dropping my arrow into the right place.

Anybody else see the same thing? What makes the stringfollow your profile of choice?
HHill himself was pretty clear that stringfollow bows were more forgiving.  Miller says so as well in his book.  I have tried both and I must say my current Hill bow, an Old Tom w/ about 1/2" to 3/4" of reflex def has a little more 'bite' than the straight or stringfollow bows I've tried.  Got a new sweetheart on the way as I type, a new to me Redman, straight profile, traded w/ Blueridge.  Can't wait to try her.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12199 on: December 19, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Oops, was reading page 812 when responding to this quote and had yet to read your last post. Would like to know the answers to the last question though?

If your draw is really 30.75 you sure don't need 1.25 extra hanging out front because that all effects the spine. Cut them back to the absolute bare mininum and then see how they shoot. Would say you are getting close.

Are you using 5.5" fletch? Cock feather in?

Thanks, Kelly
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©