3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 136530 times)

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12200 on: December 19, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
5'11" same wingspan, strong as B/O, 26" draw.
After reading this I just measured my wingspan,finger tip to finger tip it's 6'1.5"
I'm 5'9" tall and have pretty big arms,shoulders and chest. My draw is 26".
I shoot with my bow arm shoulder low and a pretty good bend in my arm.I don't have to hang my head over quite as far as alot of shooters I see,to get my eye and arrow lined up.
I can shoot with a swing draw,but always come down onto my spot instead of settling into it on the upswing.Don't know why,but I shoot much better that way.Alot of times when I'm hunting(and I practice it on targets as well) I'll hold the bow up at 1/2-3/4 draw waiting for the shot.Then settle down onto my spot and let her go.Just got to figure out what works the best for you.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12201 on: December 19, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I think my high bow shoulder combined with my long arms makes for my long draw. It is likely a product of a birth defect and 2 torn labrums in my right shoulder.

As for arrow length, I think I could cut them down a little. I have to be careful about BH length though. I don't like it hitting my hand.

Next time I try woodies I will get another test set and see. The 60-65 lb arrows cut to 28.5 BOP flew awesome when I shot low shoulder. But again, that was uncomfortable and wild.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12202 on: December 19, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Funny how that works.
   No problem KhardRunner, as this is a Howard based thread I still hear in the back of my head.....  "I've never seen a  "highly tuned" bow with a string full of game." "Most archers will do better by tuning their "form" than by......"

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12203 on: December 19, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
Had to find what works for me. I'll post more videos soon
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12204 on: December 19, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
I think my high bow shoulder combined with my long arms makes for my long draw. It is likely a product of a birth defect and 2 torn labrums in my right shoulder.

As for arrow length, I think I could cut them down a little. I have to be careful about BH length though. I don't like it hitting my hand.

Next time I try woodies I will get another test set and see. The 60-65 lb arrows cut to 28.5 BOP flew awesome when I shot low shoulder. But again, that was uncomfortable and wild.
If using two blad broadheads they can be mounted horizontal(always the way I mount them) and one can gain close to an inch as the broadhead is above your hand.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12205 on: December 19, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12206 on: December 19, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
I dont mind it close. I just dont want to draw it to my hand or to the broadhead hitting the bow even when horizonrally mounted. I think I can get away with 31-31.5. I dont have any shafts that will work right now anyway. Ill have to do another test set sometime if I want to use wood.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12207 on: December 19, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
Cool picture! Man,John had a good set of pipes on him.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12208 on: December 19, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:

Still my archery fave ... alongside Swinehart ... and Dougherty .

Mr Schulz always had great hair , and his camo was the best ......
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12209 on: December 19, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Sit in a chair, make a gun with your finger and thumb and point it at something across the room. See that nice bend in the arm? Now do the same thing as you draw the bow, keep it bent like that. Like you would if you picked up a dead bunny by the ears and held it out to the side. Draw so the nock is in line with your eye, around the side of the mouth or so.  You still drawing 30" like that KHaRdRunner??

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12210 on: December 19, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Somebody mention John's pipes?  This photo always impresses me.  He was in great shape for sure.

Hey Ben.  Hope all is well in Australia. I'm a big Swinehart fan being that he was from the Northeast.  That and the whole taking the Big Five thing.  "Sagittarius" is a fantastic book.  If you guys/gals haven't read it yet, you should.  Great stories and excellent natural history information regarding his quarry.  Too bad that Bob had some demons and isn't around to tell those tales anymore.  Sad.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12211 on: December 19, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
I understand the principle Swamp. You can do the same thing with a drill or a handgun. I get it. To be honest my elbow isnt even locked. Its my high bow shoulder that rotates my bow arm forward giving me a longer draw. I wish It were more of a possibility to get that shoulder down but because of my anatomy im not sure that I can physically do that.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12212 on: December 19, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
I love the photo of Mr. Schulz that dragonheart posted!  I first saw it on the Wensel's website.  I wish that he was still involved in the archery game.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12213 on: December 19, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Hey Mike , Hope this finds you well mate ..... and well said .

Guys , for those who haven't read it ... beg borrow and steal a copy and you'll get a read of some of the most thrilling archery hunting , let alone  Hill style action,  anywhere in print ...

Mr Swinehart remains somewhat of an enigma , a Hill protege and by all accounts an amazing hunter ... one that left of all too soon ......

It was a chapter form his book [ inc. in Col Allisons 'The Trophy Hunters' ]  , read aloud to young fella of maybe 7 years old in Melbourne Australia , that lead a Dad [ a rifle hunting non archer ] tracking down and purchasing a copy of the book "Sagittarius" for his young son ..... the pictures of that book , back quivers , long longbows and well oiled rockabilly hair cuts that led this fella to have a life long love of longbows , and hunting with such .....

cool stuff .
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12214 on: December 19, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Wow. Schulz is ripped in that picture....
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12215 on: December 19, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Howdy Mate!  Ben...your endorsement is enough for me.  I'll have to track down a copy.  It must be a great book!!!

Sincerely,
Kevin
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12216 on: December 19, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Well well well everyone! All this talk of string follow bows pushed me over the edge. I just out in an order for my new JD Berry Misty Dawn!!!!!!  I told James to surprise me, so I'll let you all know what the woods are when I find out !!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12217 on: December 19, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Kev ... Merry Chritsmas my far off mate ! .. and yep ...its rare as hens teeth but a fine book to get the archery juices flowing

Brian ..... perhaps he'll do you a favour and get some yew in there , or if he is feeling particularly nice , he'll use yew or perhaps he'll use the best bow wood ever made and make it with yew ?

Did I ever mention that my fave bow wood , and ol' Robin's is Yew
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12218 on: December 19, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Merry Christmas Ben!!!!  I wish you and yours the very best!!!!!  :)
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12219 on: December 19, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
He may, but he knows I really like red elm, even though he is not a fan of it.  He tried to talk me out of red elm on the vixen, maybe I'll get a twin???
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©