3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 136485 times)

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12220 on: December 19, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Another new bow in the making? Not fair, Brian! Can't believe that you are relegating the Vixen to the rack already!
Chuck

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12221 on: December 19, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Way to pull the trigger Brian! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

It took me a while to notice the benefit of stringfollow, for a while I just felt like I was 'really shooting well' but as time went by I realized the new bow was giving me some sneaky help.

I now favour it so much that I have asked Dave Miller to make my Expedition stringfollow as well. It's due to arrive in March - after that ill have to start plotting my next order but its guaranteed to be that profile.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12222 on: December 19, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Oh the vixen won't just hang in the rack, it will just finally get a rest. HA. 2000 arrows throug a bow in two weeks can't be healthy!! (exaggeration) it will be fun doing a side by side comparison
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12223 on: December 19, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
I just got ahold of a copy of Craig's book "Howard Hill: the Man and the Legend", man it is awesome!  A MUST READ!  Grab a copy if you can!  It's actually a perfect follow up to Hunting the Hardway or any of Howard's self authored books.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12224 on: December 19, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Man I am in the WRONG line of work to hang out (even virtually) with you guys. You light my bow buying desire, you fan the flames with your talk of ordering this or that every other day, then I look for fuel (money) and there is none! Bam, there's no way to fuel the fire but through bow envy!

Being a one income earning family on a teacher salary... must be a calling :-).

Nevertheless God provides what I need. Apparently I don't "need" any of these sweet bows! I will continue to live vicariously through you all for a while and enjoy the one sweet bow I do have... God did bless me with a Schulz that has had a special touch :-)
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12225 on: December 19, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Khardrunner what do ya teach.  I teach Algebra and Geometry.  My wife teaches Jr High Science.  Can barely make it on two salaries.  Couldn't imagine only one unless Pa pays way better than Texas.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12226 on: December 19, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
You know I was just kidding, Brian. I do believe in the 1000 arrows per week, though. I'd shoot that many if my old arms would hold up!

You're still young, Kyle. Your time will come. In the mean time, you've got an awesome bow in that Schulz!
Chuck

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12227 on: December 19, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
...I just out in an order for my new JD Berry Misty Dawn!!!!!! ...
Told ya so.    :deadhorse:
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12228 on: December 19, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
dragonheart and Ben, timely picture.  I'm just re-reading "Straight Shooting" by John.  Like Bob Swinehart, John is up at the top for me.  When he was putting on seminars at the Pa. Bowhunters festival, I was in awe, even though I shot recurves at the time.  Great to keep things going.
Thanks
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12229 on: December 19, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
No Pat, you said id sell the Vixen. That baby is not going anywhere. James Hill bows are the tops, so instead of ordering a string follow anywhere else I'd just assume stick with a Berry. When more people get the chance to shoot them you will understand what I mean. There is just majic I them.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12230 on: December 19, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I don't think you do KHARD. It is just part of my never give up nature. Have you ever just tried to just relax and shoot? exactly as it sounds, just let yourself be smooth and informal? You might be surprised at how your innate intelligence will compensate for your so called problem.  You have more than enough draw length to spare so there is no excuse there. Ha ha.    :smileystooges:

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12231 on: December 19, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Whelp you are free to think what you want. This is my relaxed shooting. In fact I am uploading a video as we speak (edit: actually need to get my cord from school so it won't be until tomorrow). This is how I shoot when I just shoot and enjoy it without thinking too much.

I grew up learning how to shoot off of Schulz's video. My first real bow and almost every bow I have owned since both righty and lefty were hill style bows. I ask a lot of questions and act like I don't have a clue so as to get as much information as possible. I'm a youngin' but I've been shooting hill style bows for around 20 of my 29 years. I had some time in there where I didn't shoot much, but I've almost always had only hill style bows.

I get it, and this is how I shoot. Relaxed. A pause before I release. There are some things I am working on and some things that I am trying. I am certainly not perfect and I welcome critique. It's how I learn. But I do get what you are saying, it's just not for me. Most likely it is due to my anatomy is my guess. I have sprangles deformity so it really messes my right side and my back up. No big deal. I work around it.

I hope I don't come across as negative, angry or too frustrated. I'm just not unintelligent, and when I say I understand something more than one time, I usually do.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12232 on: December 19, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Brian ... ordered a Misty Dawn?!?!?  Good on ya man!! Boy you got the fever bad buddy!!

Congrats ... remember we will need pictures.  :archer:  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12233 on: December 19, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
On my way out the backdoor I saw the USPS guy with a long tube running to my front door. Perhaps my wife has picked up on all the not so subtle hints I've been dropping about what I wanted for Christmas!!!!!     :banghead:    Now I know how my kids feel    :banghead:  Merry Christmas all my Hill brethren!

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12234 on: December 19, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Ho Ho Ho! Come on Christmas! You must have been on her good boy list.  :D

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12235 on: December 20, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
I'm excited to see it stik!!! And Bob, I have had the bow bug a while now, but the Vixen struck a beautiful cord and things worked out to where I had the money now so I ordered the bow. If I would have waited to order it next year like I planned I may not be so fortunate so I took my opportunity and ran with it. Tis the nature of the construction world, feast and famine!

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12236 on: December 20, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
Khard.....your form to me looks relaxed enough....you just happen to have a Dr. J wingspan unlike the rest of us.  Just remember to not be afraid of shooting......shoot the best you can in any situation  without dictating the situation and the pressure of shooting well will diminish....and greater accuracy will result because you have gotten out of your own way and just let your mind/body do it's best.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12237 on: December 20, 2012, 04:52:00 AM »
For someone who "get's it," you do have some frustrating issues. Good luck.
Well put Nate.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12238 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:00 AM »
KHard,
I have gone through phases where I work so hard to change something about my shooting only make my shooting worse. Although we all want to improve our accuracy, I think we put too much pressure on ourselves which creates other problems. When I just relax and forget about changing this or trying that I shoot much better. In my backyard, I have days where I can do no wrong and others where my groups are as wide as my target but it seems to come together when I shoot 3D. My best shooting seems to really come out when I shoot Toughman courses where I am only focused on the tiny shooting window and not thinking about form at all. We will all struggle with form for the rest of our lives but we are all built differently and will have variances of form from one another.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12239 on: December 20, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
I have noticed when I practice like I'm supposed to my immediate shootimg suffers , but if I'm just having fun I tend to shoot better.  With that said, I do truly believe that focused form training is a must and that it does help you, but it helps by making proper form something that happens naturally.  Unfortunatly I'm not good enough fr that to happen yet LOL . Maybe in 20 more years. Oh well, it's fun and I can put game down so all is well.

I am on Vacation in 12 working hours so  i am a little gitty.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©