3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 136440 times)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12260 on: December 21, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Must be the angle, that looks like more than 2" of deadwood hanging off the shelf.
  I can see how you pull 30" though, you go right on past the corner of the mouth, my elbow would yell bad words at me if I tried that.
A wise man once said: "Remember drawing an arrow more than 28" is a detriment not an asset."

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12261 on: December 21, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
The Misty Dawn is being final sprayed as we speak. Hows that for a wait time!!!!!  I will be leaving town for Christmas so I told James not to mail it untill the 26th.  68" 50@27 yew back and belly with red elm in between. All under clear glass!!!!!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12262 on: December 21, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Bolivian rosewood riser.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12263 on: December 21, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
I anchor into my mouth and at my cheek bone. I think it is the angle as I have measure it and videoed it many times with the same result.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12264 on: December 21, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
Must be the angle, that looks like more than 2" of deadwood hanging off the shelf.
  I can see how you pull 30" though, you go right on past the corner of the mouth, my elbow would yell bad words at me if I tried that.
A wise man once said: "Remember drawing an arrow more than 28" is a detriment not an asset."
Kyle;

I agree with Swampthing there is dead wood hanging over the back of your bow. Furthermore, those 3 shots had 3 different draw lengths with the first being the longest but only because you increased it slightly just before the release.

Full length shafts are 32" but after putting on tapers they make a 31" BOP arrow so I doubt your draw is a true 30". A side camera shot will surely tell the tale-even if it is just for yourself to really know your "true" draw length while you only think about shooting and NOT drawing the arrow back for draw length.

If you've shot this way for a long time it is very hard to change things. In order to make changes-if you want to-then your backstop needs no target and you just concentrate on your changes. The backwards movement of your drawing hand had different results with each shot, albeit slight but the last shot moved backwards the most.

Howard Hill said, "Both hands do nothing." upon release. And yes one can have proper back tension yet, still do nothing upon release. One's draw hand is nothing more than a hook and the only movement necessary is the release of the fingers.

Just watched it 3 more times and noticed you seem to be gripping with all fingers and quite hard at that. The bottom two fingers should do all the gripping and set that grip at your side before even drawing.

On your first shot the bow really jumps in your hand-on the other two it doesn't move so something changed in your grip from shot one to shot 2.

About your arrows and their spine. Of course I can't see the flight but they appear to be very close to me. Light spined arrows will really go through paradox and that can be see but I don't see any of that. Also there is no arrow noise that one gets from weak spined arrows. Judging from your brace height those are 5" fletchings, correct? Try some 5.5" which should improve your arrow flight.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12265 on: December 21, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
I anchor into my mouth and at my cheek bone. I think it is the angle as I have measure it and videoed it many times with the same result.
But were you measuring it and videoing it just to see what your draw length was? and not actually concentrating on aiming/shooting? If that is the case one's draw length will always be longer than one's "True" draw length when in the act of aiming/shooting. This is why Swampthing and I see dead wood in front of your bow-very close to 2".
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12266 on: December 21, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
My arrow flight is good with these. They are carbons so they are 32" bop. There is no taper. When i check draw length it is when pretending to shoot or by video taping when I shoot.

I think you are right with my consistancy. Ive only been shooting lefty for a little while and I find that i need to continue to work on that. Thanks
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12267 on: December 21, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Khardrunner- I'll put my 2 cents in. Everything looks great! You look natural to me except I can see the concentration on your face. That's a good thing. Now if you shoot the same way for 30 years their ain't no tellin how accurate you can be. I'd keep on keepin on.....

When you come these parts we gotta get up and sling a few!   :thumbsup:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12268 on: December 21, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
I won't be down to SC again until this summer when I visit family. Maybe we can work something out then.

Shooting lefty certainly isn't as natural as righty, and I have to mess with some eye dominance stuff since I am RE dominant. I'm getting the picture though. Pun intended :-)
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Online Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12269 on: December 21, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Kyle, I give you props for switching hands.  Pavan did/does this too.  I shoot both hands and the RE Dom shooting leftie make me use a secondary point of reference (arrow) to hit decent.   I'd say you are rocking.  I can't fling near the # of arrows leftie.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12270 on: December 21, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Lookin good Kyle, especially for being forced to shoot lefty,just keep at it  and the consistancy will come.  The only thing I see is that maybe your gripping the the bow a little tight, can cause the bow to do funny things on release.

I'll call BS on that! A properly tuned arrow is just that, a properly tuned arrow, regardless of draw length or how much is hangin over the shelf.

Eric

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12271 on: December 21, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Form is looking good Kyle. That reminds me I have to tear myself away from work an get back to fun. Merry Xmas to all!

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12272 on: December 21, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
My arrow flight is good with these. They are carbons so they are 32" bop. There is no taper. When i check draw length it is when pretending to shoot or by video taping when I shoot.

I think you are right with my consistancy. Ive only been shooting lefty for a little while and I find that i need to continue to work on that. Thanks
Well if the arrows were carbons then you definitely were not drawing 30" because I was figuring an inch plus for field points.

Like I said before if you are checking draw length when that is in your mind everyone overdraws just to make sure.

"True" draw is when you are not thinking one little iota about what your draw length is-just shooting.
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12273 on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
That said, there is nothing wrong if one is not drawing what they think they should!

All in all you are doing real well for switching to left handed. Just curious what size carbons are you using?
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12274 on: December 21, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
I was finally able to get the job done this season with my HH 'Robin Hood'.  It was a nice primer for the upcoming Hill Gang Hog Hunt, although I'm hoping to take one more deer here in Michigan before the season ends.

ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12275 on: December 21, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Nice deer, great job!  Man that is a huge broadhead!!  Good on ya!!  I love that you got it with a Hill Robin Hood ... man that is a sexy bow.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12276 on: December 21, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
GREAT JOB!!!! I agree with Bob, that BH is huge. And the robin hood is a sweet bow.  Way to put it all together

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12277 on: December 21, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
Thanks Bob.  The BH is a Centaur Battle Axe which is 2-1/8" wide.  It went through her lungs, poked through her right side a bit and then broke off inside.  The blood trail was amazing.  She only went around 60 yards.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

« Reply #12278 on: December 22, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
One thing I do when switching back and forth from righty to lefty, I draw the bow back, hold it, move the bow around while staring dead at a spot. Eventually things will look right and then I tighten up and go for a hard static release, keeping my hand against my anchor point and it will slide just a bit back. Khardrunner, your form may adjust some as your tendon strength and muscle development gets used to shooting lefty. Your arm may tend to bend more your draw length may even shorten. You may find that holding is more natural when shooting left handed for some time. There is nothing wrong with a hesistation at full draw as long as you are not collasping. I still find it clumsy, at times, when I need to step into a shot shooting lefty. Like I have said before, the hardest part is learning which foot to lead with when sneaking through cover so the back quiver does not get hung up when still hunting.

Offline Mississippi bow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12279 on: December 22, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Hey guys how about some Howard Hill bow kill pictures.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©