3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 136438 times)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12280 on: December 22, 2012, 04:53:00 AM »
Chest expansion, back tension, bone on bone, extended bow arm, good for targets, yup.  Now go try to hit close range squirrels or crows doing all that, then you will find your "true draw."
 Just for kicks take along a "broken woodie" cut and taper it so that it is 28" from the valley of the nock to the flat part of the blunt tip.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12281 on: December 22, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
Pavan, I am sure my draw will change with time. In fact, I think it has shortened some since I have been shooting the Schulz more and have sold all of my other bows. I expect that as I get stronger things will continue to change slightly.

Kelly, I have checked it a thousand times in a thousand ways. I've had people watch me shoot, video tape, take pics, etc. I use the clothes pin method too. Every time we always come up with about an inch short of the point on those carbons. They are GT 55/75's in 32" BOP. The point sticks out another 1 inch.

Swamp, I have a bunch of woodies cut to 28.5" BOP. I shot only them out of that bow for over a month. I was inaccurate and uncomfortable whether shooting close or far.

I think I have found my "true draw" for now. I'm sure it will change with time.

I did shoot a chipmunk at about 4 yards using my current form. Does that count as close range?
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12282 on: December 22, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
Way to get er done Hawken 1911! Nice deer and bow.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12283 on: December 22, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
Check out my new quiver!  Now I'm all set up!  Is my strap position correct for shooting lefty??

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123983
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12284 on: December 22, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Nice shooting Paul!   Michigan late season deer are tough!

PAVAN, that's how I feel shooting leftie, but I do get exhausted fast due to the longer hold time. My form is better leftie, but I FEEL TOTALLY LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER when I draw from a quiver, nock, and any other motion not associated with the shot.  It's comical.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12285 on: December 22, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Yeah I found that nocking the arrow was harder to get used to than drawin to anchor. Its becoming more natural.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12286 on: December 22, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Anybody ever had any luck getting CraigEkin to reproduce a Schulz style grip on his bows as a custom option? I've really got a hankering to put in an order for an old school looking, super heavy Tembo.....
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12287 on: December 22, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
I cant imagine it would be a struggle. He can do about anything.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12288 on: December 22, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Rossco, Craig will put any style grip on your bow that you want.  Just tell him how you want it--even give him measurements like grip depth and width, circumference, if you want it sharp on the belly, etc.  That's what "custom" is all about.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12289 on: December 22, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
Anybody ever had any luck getting CraigEkin to reproduce a Schulz style grip on his bows as a custom option? I've really got a hankering to put in an order for an old school looking, super heavy Tembo.....
Now that sounds like a great bow, my 115# Tembo has a huge grip on it that took some getting used to, but now it is so natural I would want it recreated on any custom order.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12290 on: December 22, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
Check out my new quiver!  Now I'm all set up!  Is my strap position correct for shooting lefty??

nineworods9-

I bought the same quiver from a guy on the classifieds. It's good quality, and it lays flat on the back, like a Hill quiver should. The strap was a little short for me so I contacted Wyndotte Leathers, and they sent me an extension piece of strap with additional holes punched to attach at the bottom of the quiver at no charge. The folks at Wyndotte were super friendy.

Good Luck,
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12291 on: December 22, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Your Tembo is certainly heavy Wade!  My Schulz has a large, 2 inch. deep grip which really seems to help my consistency.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12292 on: December 22, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Hawken1911-

Congrats on the deer!

Man, just seeing all that snow on the ground makes me feel cold. lol
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Jacquesbonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12293 on: December 22, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Well Gang, I got to thank some of the Hill followers for helping make this happen! I was able purchase "The Charm" made by the man himself "Howard Hill" pictures are in this thread on page 783. I have made arrangements to procure the other bow pictured with it as well. That makes my collection of "Old Bows" by the masters themself nearly complete, Men like Hill,Bear, Pearson, and Bickford of England. Some of my english longbows date to the 1880's and I have Fred Bears first and only surviver from 1933, a 1930 Ben Pearsons yew stave, static tipped recurve, rawhide backed, pulling 100#s at 28"s. I have sold 335 bows since January two years ago! I wished I didn't have to sell them as my collection has dwindled to about 80 bows, but they are a super fine collection! Someday I hope to put them on a display and share pictures with all of you! I would like to wish each and everyone the best of the Holiday season! Merry Christmas everone! later Jacques

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12294 on: December 22, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Question.... I know John Shulz was very fond of Myrtle for his riser material. There are some others as well.

Besides the look of the wood (in a lot of cases it seems pretty plain) what is the attraction?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12295 on: December 22, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
It is a hard wood that is not brittle. Important for the thin fade outs, especially on all natural bows, and it does not transmit as much vibration due to it's resiliency. It's those little things that add up to the whole.

« Reply #12296 on: December 22, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
It is not quite as hard as many other woods, but it is very light. You guys keep this myrtle talk up and I may have to build myself a lefty reverse myrtle longbow.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12297 on: December 22, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradlongbow:

Originally posted by nineworlds9:

nineworods9-

I bought the same quiver from a guy on the classifieds. It's good quality, and it lays flat on the back, like a Hill quiver should. The strap was a little short for me so I contacted Wyndotte Leathers, and they sent me an extension piece of strap with additional holes punched to attach at the bottom of the quiver at no charge. The folks at Wyndotte were super friendy.

Good Luck, [/b]
Cool thanks for the tip Darren!  Say where in FL you at?  I'm in Tally
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12298 on: December 22, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Man since I started shooting Hill style bows I've been devouring Hunting the Hard Way, Saxton Pope's 'Hunting with the Bow and Arrow', and recently Craig E.'s book "Howard Hill: the Man and the Legend'.  All I can say is wow.  What a guy.  He had otherworldly archery skills, yet at the same time he was probably that guy who was practicing while everyone else was sleeping or loafing.  He had that blessing from beyond but was very much a normal joe.  I was cracking up today reading in HH: the Man/Leg in his own words that he was deathly afraid of...snakes!  Can you imagine?  Our hero, Tembo-slayer Robin Hood a self admitted snake-o-phobe?!  I'm starting to really understand why he was so well loved.  Reading his words I get the sense that he was unpretentious, and glad for his gift, not at all having a swelled head because of his abilities, rather acting humble and always striving to be an ambassador for the sport he loved so well.  As I said, what a guy!  Cool stuff.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12299 on: December 22, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Reading those period books by the guys actually making up the rules as the went was a passion of mine a few years ago.  The Witchery of Archery was another good one.  Pope's book amazed me when they went on safari in Africa.  Wow, what they went through to kill the King (lion).  Those guys had GUTS.  

One thing that changed was a lot more respect for game and the ethics of hunting in general since their time.  Those guys shot at anything and everything.  150 yds to an elk, why not?

I think it was Hill that said something like "son, if you want to kill an animal you've got to put some wood in the air".  

It's true of course, but not put quite like that anymore.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©