3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 136024 times)

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12600 on: January 12, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Well I saw deer this time. Nothing inside of 40 yards though. I'll be heading out again for a last ditch effort this afternoon. After that, season's over!

I did take 2 shots (with the same arrow) at a coon. First one barely missed at about 25 yards. He watched me fetch my arrow then trotted off. I waited until he stopped on a log and hit him on top of the head. It glanced off of his skull. He didn't like that much and sprinted away.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12601 on: January 12, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Yukon:
Who makes TD Hill bows other than Hill?? I think I would go that route for the other one!! Is the sleeve the only option for td Hill?
Northern Mist uses a connexion hinge which works very well, it also adds some weight to the riser.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12602 on: January 12, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Kyle...I would say your shooting with the longbow has improved. A short while ago you lacked the positive confidence to take a shot like that.  A coon's body is smaller than a deer's chest, so go shoot a deer today! Looking forward to the story... ;)

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12603 on: January 12, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Yeah it has. I just had to find what works best for me. I'm looking forward to heading out again this afternoon. Hopefully either you or Mr. Schulz put in some last minute luck into that bow. This is my last chance this year!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12604 on: January 12, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
Those old Schulz bows have the mojo...you just had to learn how to make the mojo yours... ;)

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12605 on: January 12, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Waiting for some friends to come by for the weekend, so I'm killing time.  And I hate to see the best thread even half way down page 1.  

Howard Hill Archery C-6000, previously owned by World Champion Flight Shooter, April Moon.  This bow is almost identical to the first serial numbered bow in Bob Burton's book on page 60.  Picked this one up because it's lady's weight and perfect for me.  I need to get a string for it as it came with one that was waaaaay too short.  Nate Steen keep an eye out for an email from me.  I haven't forgotten about our conversation.  I'm looking forward to taking this one into the field someday.  As Nate said to me, "the nostalgia and romance of shooting it would be premo."  I agree with that.  

Riser appears to be maple with yellow woven glass on the back and white (now an antiqued off white) on the belly.  

Old school, retro logo. I never understood the use of the recurve for the logo.  Guess Howard was trying to push Jim Darling's new recurve design at the time.  There are two recurves on Howard's tombstone as well.  Always thought that was odd, too.  

"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12606 on: January 12, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Dan Toelke builds a D shaped Hill style bow with the bow bolt take down system. Very stable and a great shooting bow.
NFetscher

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12607 on: January 12, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Steve Turay (Northern Mist) will also use the sleeve TD that HHA uses.  A buddy of mine ordered one like that from him.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12608 on: January 12, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Cool, So Steve at Northern Mist use two systems, the sleeve and the hinge? I really like my Classic, but email Steve a few time to ask a few questions, but he didn't email back on all of them... I didn't get the bow from him, but still one of his bow.... Anyway life is probably really busy with this thread going strong!!

I still need to post a few pictures of the bow! maybe this week end.
Cheers

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12609 on: January 12, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
I am anxiously waiting at the door looking for the mailman.  my Bear Bruin should be arriving today, but then again it was SUPPOSED to be here on thurday.  So fingers crossed
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12610 on: January 12, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Good luck Brian! I had a Schulz arrive this week and I'm expecting an Old Tom Monday..... New bows to try is a ton of fun!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12611 on: January 12, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
Mailman came, and no bow, but I did get my 100gr inserts and broad head adapters from 3 rivers.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12612 on: January 12, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Ok,
well i have been buying up arrows left and right lately just messing around with different weights and lengths etc etc.  I think I am done buying for now.  

my BH adapters came in today as did my brass inserts for some carbons I had laying around.  

My arrow combos are as follows.  For the Vixen and J Hill i am shooting 30 1/4' 2117 with 175 up front. BH are 175 VPA terminators and 135 No mercys glued on 42 grain BH adapters. also shooting 29 3/4' 2018 with 175 up front. They both also love my 5575 GT trad with 100 grain brass insert and 145 up front.

the Misty Dawn is liking the 28 7/8" 1916 with 100 grain up front, but also shoots the 2018s with 175 up front really good. She does not like the 2117s though.  Tomorrow I am going to play with point weight and see what she likes with the 5575.  

So I have a few doz arrows tuned up for their respective bows. My goal is to have each bow their own doz arrows and then I just grab the appropriate arrows for the bow I am shooting that day.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12613 on: January 12, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
Hey guys, I know it isn't a hill style...but, my question is about them.
 I have a bear cub. And am wondering how a hill style would shoot compared to it. It is only 62" and I can fell every one of the 48#'s. not that it is too heavy I can just feel them. I have shot a 70# lb that was 66" and it seemed to be a lot smoother than this one. So I guess my question is, are most of the hill styles pretty smooth drawing?

I have been picking away at this thread for the past week or so and you guys are infecting me with the bug I think. Thanks guys, Mike.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12614 on: January 12, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Mike,
for me Hill bows fell a lot lighter than they actually are.  My NM Superior (R/D) felt like 555lbs whereas my 60lb HHA wesely special felt like 45lbs. Same with my Berry vixen and Misty Dawn, they both feel lighter than marked and very smooth.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12615 on: January 12, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG]
Brian, your post about bows that feel lighter than the poundage marked inspired me to snap a pic of this pair of siblings that i had on the rack.
These are both Jim Bo's the all Osage is 70 lbs and the Bamboo is 60 lbs, both 68 inchers. Both are Hill style and straight as a 2x4 stud when not braced, but absolute pleasures to shoot.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12616 on: January 12, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Very nice looking bows.  the riser/site window is different than most, I like the look

is that a homemade back quiver? and is that leather or canvas?

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12617 on: January 12, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Its an old home made Hill style that i made out of leather more than 30 yrs ago. As far as the shelf, it may possibly be the rest and strike plate that looks odd. I took a couple of more pics. Both shelves are cut the same.   [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12618 on: January 12, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
maybe it was just the squared up strike plate, cool bows.

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12619 on: January 12, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Thanks Brian and moleman. And Brian, I hope you keep up the turn around rate with your bows, lol. I am going to list my training wheels and when it is gone I will be waiting to strike on your next one(hopefully). Thanks again, I am going back to the 100 page mark, lol, Mike.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©