3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 135873 times)

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12660 on: January 17, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Wow, looks good to me.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12661 on: January 17, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I thought this quote fitting for shooting the HH bow.

"The way toward mastery of any endeavor is to work toward simplicity; replace technology with knowledge, hard work and skill."
Yvon Chouinard, Founder of Patagonia
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12662 on: January 17, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Canopy...finally a graphic that appeals to my likes...have to get one.

Butch...that quote was used in regard to Tenkara fishing but we all know how that style of fishing resembles shooting with a longbow

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12663 on: January 17, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Hey Mudd,
How are you and the Liberty getting along? I have Classic on order, sweet shooter.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12664 on: January 17, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Can he flip that around for us lefties??
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12665 on: January 17, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Can he flip that around for us lefties??
Forgot to mention, yeah flipping the image for lefties is no problem.

Ryan Steadman goes by steadman here I think if you want to PM him, or his website is  www.hardcorearchery.com.   (I think I can post that since he's a sponsor, right?)

Nate, I did think of you and your stratoliner fedora when I saw the picture at first.  But the original needed the string silencers off.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

« Reply #12666 on: January 17, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
He got the hat right, but could the body lean a bit more to the left, bend the arm a little more, cant the bow further to get the bottom limb tip past the leg, pull the arrow the rest of the way back and give him a pot gut. Then I can say it is me.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12667 on: January 17, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
58 winters

I tried to make a video this afternoon shooting it but what I ended up with was so out of focus I wouldn't post it.

I have got to get my camera and this computer synced up...Yes I am blaming the equipment...lol

I did make a still of my 1st shots.

For some reason my body was sore and stiff and did not like having to work outside in the cold.

God bless,Mudd

PS: Pavan, he would add a bunch more weight to get my image correct...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Allen Boice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12668 on: January 17, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Ah yes, I can see another Hard Core decal in my future for the rear window.  Ryan and Julie are the salt of the earth kind of people.  It's nice to have true traditionalists in our ranks promoting "Real" archery with their products.  If you haven't already, check out their line of traditional clothing.  I want one of the above decals on a sweatshirt.

John  14:6

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12669 on: January 17, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Good shootin' Mudd!

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12670 on: January 18, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
I was talking to a fellow the other day who is working through years of target panic and is relearning the Hill style of shooting and aiming and our conversation led me to think it might help others too...I will relate shooting to other sports as basketball and football as well...

when shooting instinctively, we have been taught to concentrate so hard on a target that all other stuff fades away.  just you and the target....

When shooting for form, our thinking is on form more than bullseye, and hence we start grouping arrows without really trying because our form is correct, and we are casually seeing the target.  When shooting to hit the target or animal, our thinking is on the target and we are casually thinking on form....  opposite mental processes going on here...

I believe that when the shot sequence in a hunting/3D situation is slower, more methodical, we are giving the mind and body too much time to create the shot sequence, and we often get sloppy in form because we are concentrating on the target too much, and since the form is bad, the shot can't go where we are looking....
(relate this too a basketball free throw shooter trying to make the winning basket in overtime pressure....what's he thinking about? form, he practices his form and follow-through and then imitates that form while looking at the basket/target....if his form is off, the ball is off target too....)

Now imagine a hunting situation where we are given little time to think, a running deer or a deer approaching out of nowhere and giving us 2 seconds to set up and shoot....we look at the target, the body goes on autopilot, we shoot without thinking much, and the arrow goes where we are looking very easily and we wonder how....(this situation is akin to a football quarterback needing to make a touchdown drive in 60 seconds to win the game and he must throw perfectly to his receivers to do it...he just looks and throws and it seems his throws are awesomely accurate and he takes no time to think, just throw..)

So anyway,  in my conversation with this fella, I brought up these scenarios to help him with his practicing and hunting shooting....when practicing, think about form, ingrain proper form while looking at the target and the arrows will start to group in the center, even though the target isn't the complete focus of attention...form is.  learn a rhythm of shooting form, and next time a hunting shot is needed, if there is time to shoot with your standard rhythm, then think about form/rhythm more than the target...(give the mind something to think about other than the target) and since the form is done correctly, the arrow will hit the target.   If the hunting shot situation is a hurried, no think situation, then let the body naturally do what it's been conditioned through practice to do and don't try to overthink the process...and the arrow will hit the target....like the quarterback hitting the receiver.

All this shooting stuff comes more naturally if you can standardize your equipment so that there aren't variables of bow weight, arrow trajectory, bow feel, etc. thrown in the mix.  It amazes me much trad archers limit their accuracy to short distance... because all their bows will shoot the same at 20 yards... and they never really learn one bow/arrow combination well enough to shoot well at distances where trajectory comes into play.   can you imagine how frustrated football quarterbacks would be if when the game was on the line, 50 yards to go for a touchdown, 30 seconds left, they were handed a football that was 50% larger/heavier than they were used to? Think they could hit the receiver then?  or how about when the basketball player must make two freethrows to win the game in OT and someone hands him a beachball to throw...think he could get it in the hoop?  Our hunting accuracy demands much more consistency than other sports, yet we hamper our own efforts by always shooting varying equipment...are we limiting our full capabilities?

Food for thought on a cold winter's day... ;)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12671 on: January 18, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Good food too Nate.  I have been shooting only the Vixen really lately and getting rid of the Bear also. Just the Misty Dawn and Vixen for me for now on. (until i see a bow I have to have LOL) but in all honesty I shoot other bows just to feel them, but really practice and focus with the Vixen.  I have finally found "that bow."

Also, I just got my HHA soft leather back quiver in today.  I need to get the strap set up for me and how I like it to ride, but OH MY. Its hard to believe how amazing Craigs quivers are and at a price that is just un heard off.  This thing is tops in quality.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12672 on: January 18, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
To Nate's closing argument:

I'm closing in on one year with only one bow and one arrow setup.  I've shot a few trial shots with other bows, but very few and my own bows are now quite neglected.

I am thinking of switching to wood arrows soon, and possibly removing the side plate as well.  But I decided to postpone until after hunting season.  And since I can hunt "antlerless deer" until  March 30th, it mmight be awhile longer. But after that change, I'm thinking another year might be in the works.

The yang to that yin though is that I'm always wondering what a slight change in the bow would feel like.  Would it shoot better for me?  I like the idea of yew, maybe I should try that?  I don't think I chose the right grip, I should mess with that some.  What if I shot a heavier (or lighter) arrow?  Perhaps my string should be more or less strands, or B50.  Now that I finally can hit the barn, is it time to move up to a heavier bow?  All this stuff I hear about string follow sounds tempting, maybe I should get one like that.  I'd like to try a shorter riser length.  Man, if only I had one of those old Schulz bows with the tiny tips...  I cruise the classifieds and auction sights right on the verge of pulling the trigger.

But so far, I've resisted.  It's tough though.  Really tough.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12673 on: January 18, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
That conversation sounds familiar.

I think the shooting at a long distance has REALLY helped. It's tough to focus on a dime at 40 yards. Instead I try to pick the center of the area I want to hit, then let my form do the rest.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12674 on: January 19, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Anybody shoot simmonssharks out of your Hills?If so how do they fly??
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12675 on: January 19, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
3feathers..if your arrow is spined correctly the Sharks will fly fine.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12676 on: January 19, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
When I shoot aluminium I have some tree sharks that work perfectly.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12677 on: January 20, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
Went for a little stumpin' walk this morning on some land I hunt.Looked for sheds and turkey sign. No sheds,but found a whole hill side roto tilled by turkeys. Saw one flock of about 30,with some real nice toms in it.

I took "BamYew" and some arrows I just traded for.With a Rick ****** Skinny string,Hush puppies and heavy ash arrows all you here is a quiet little thump.
Gotta love a good piece of ash! I shot for about 2 hours and only broke 2 arrows.Would have had a pocket full of broke off points if I was shooting cedar.

Sheep horn tips looked cool in the sun

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12678 on: January 20, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
looks like you had a good day there Nick. Those Ash can take a beating
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12679 on: January 20, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Yep,Had a good time Brian.Yes they can.I shot them years ago,but it was a chore keeping them straigh.I'll see how these do. The arrows are a little weak for that setup.They should be pretty close when I cut them to my length.Thanks again.
How'd the GT's work for you?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©