3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 135810 times)

Offline Rod Cam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12720 on: January 25, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Nate you do not talk too much some guys do not like it the way you see it, you are just trying to help, the more they listen and try what you say, the more they will learn, I listen to you and you are the best teacher since John Schulz, so do not give up on these guys, if you do it is there lose.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12721 on: January 25, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Nate,

I have given up trying to get more data on the bow ... it turned ugly cold and then I got the Flu ... jsut getting over it now so I ahve not really shot much other than an arrow or two in my basement.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12722 on: January 25, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks for posting that article by Mr. Hill Rob!!  Very cool!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12723 on: January 25, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
I am on the waiting list for a 66" 40#@27" Dave Johnson LB.  I need to order some arrow shafts as all my other bows are heavier.  I am going to get both XX75 & some Surewoods.  First off yes I do know my draw length.  This is my 3rd Hill style bow.  What spine arrows do y'all recommend for both aluminum & wood with my set up?  I am not interested in EFOC, just normal arrows.  I am thinking 1916's for the XX75's and 40-45# for the sure woods.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12724 on: January 25, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Arrow length to back of point, BH weight?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12725 on: January 25, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mushin:
What do you guys think of the Tembo compared to Big 5,etc.? Is 72"to long its mainly for 3D.I have a 30" draw.
I've had several Big 5's and one Wesley, I didn't notice any difference. Most of the guys that I know who bought Tembo's say they're very smooth to draw.

I have a special piece of Myrtle wood that I bought last year, and I had it shipped to Craig. My next bow will be a Tembo with Myrtle riser.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12726 on: January 25, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Back of point for XX75's is 29-3/4".  Wood arrows less.  I try to keep the over all arrow length the same.  Trying to stick to 125 gr heads but could go 145.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12727 on: January 25, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Here's my Jerry rigged flu flus, just put these together to try and hit a few pheasants tomorrow.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12728 on: January 25, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Hey Sporthunter, can you tell us a bit more about your flu flus??
Thank you.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12729 on: January 25, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Ho and Nate, we want to learn more from you!!
Thank you for taking the time.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12730 on: January 25, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
David, I just wrapped up some wool yarn, tied off two points about a quarter inch from each other for the arrow to poke through and cut the ends open. Similar to making wool silencers. Just wanted to give it a try tomorrow due to a last minute hunt. I figure this should slow them down a bit. Two heads are judos and the other two are hammer blunts with thick paper clips crossed behind the heads. Just trying to emulate what I've seen on some bird game heads.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12731 on: January 25, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brazos:
I am on the waiting list for a 66" 40#@27" Dave Johnson LB.  I need to order some arrow shafts as all my other bows are heavier.  I am going to get both XX75 & some Surewoods.  First off yes I do know my draw length.  This is my 3rd Hill style bow.  What spine arrows do y'all recommend for both aluminum & wood with my set up?  I am not interested in EFOC, just normal arrows.  I am thinking 1916's for the XX75's and 40-45# for the sure woods.
My Dave Johnson pulls about 51 @ 27 and I am shooting 49# Poplars with 125gr Magnus heads and 29" BOP arrows and shooting 28.75" 1916s with 200gr up front. I got a feeling 1916s might be a bit stiff with a 125gr point.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mushin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12732 on: January 25, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
Thank you Darren been trying to get one of you guys to answer that for me for awhile. Paul

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12733 on: January 25, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
Thank you SP, keep us posted on how they worked out for you!!
Cheers And good luck tomorrow.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12734 on: January 26, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Some of you guys have been around for awhile and remember when Dick Wrightman had his Hill website. All the members would sign up to be on his email list, and we would discuss Hill stuff through email. After Dick suspended the email portion of the web-site, a lot of us gravitated over to Tradgang when LongbowBen started this thread.

From time to time, I'll check out the other traditional web-sites, and find guys discussing Hill stuff. Usually what I do is send a pm to some of the guys on that thread inviting they over here to Tradgang because it would great to have everyone hanging around one campfire sharing their adventures with a Hill bow.

I noticed today that over on another site their discussing Hill's method of shoot. Did he aim or was it instinctive. I seen our very own Nate Steen over there trying to set the record straight. There's also a picture posted of Howard sitting in a lawn chair at a shoot in Ca.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12735 on: January 26, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
I miss Capt Dick's email list. This has taken its place for me but he was always good for keeping the fire stoked.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12736 on: January 26, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Went out stump shooting today.I took this bow out,she's one of my favorites.Wish I could have one built exactly like her but about 66#.

My fingers and ears froze,made some good shots,made some not so good shots   :eek:  ,busted a few arrows,but had a great time   :thumbsup:  
Here's one of the better shots-

tried not to choke on this one.Do or die,that's a big knob of granite behind the log.Was a hair low,I was aiming at the knot.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12737 on: January 26, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Hey Nick I see you were out with White Mountain this morning.  If it's too light for you send it back my way with some new shoulders and I'll shoot her for you  :D   Glad you are loving it.  Nice shot on that Pileated Woodpecker hole.  Funny, I shoot the same fletching combo that you do.  That bow has quite a unique design and the aged Bocote riser is gorgeous.  Enjoy it!  

I too miss Capt. Dick and his participation here.  I was lucky enough to buy one of his longbows for my girlfriend a year ago and she loves it.  Dick is a really great man.  I think he's out there in Seattle working on dulcimers, which are apparently his new fascination.  He's one heck of a unique guy.  

As for Howard's shooting method it appears that he focused on the target "spot", but still maintained a faint view of the arrow point in relation to the "spot".  This is what allowed him to adjust for the second, and in his world, the third shot, if he missed the mark.  

So many mysteries still surrounding this man.  Truly a legend among legends.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12738 on: January 26, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Hey Mike,Not complaining,she's just perfect! I'd love to have another heavier to go with her though. I love the design,style and wood on this bow.Shoots right where you point her and very quiet.Grip is my favorite out of all of my bows. It's going to be a toss up for turkey season,"YewBet" or this one.

I got those arrows in trade from Brianlocal on here.
Yep the Pileateds make some nice targets(the holes,not the birds!  :eek: ) You know the tree will be just punky enough not to break your arrow.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12739 on: January 26, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
North side of oak trees provide some nice targets too.

I was aiming at the green one,not the dark mark I hit  :(

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©