3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 135740 times)

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12740 on: January 26, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
You know that "Yew Bet" will make a perfect blind bow.  If you're in the blind use her.  If your just on the ground with your back up against a tree use the "White Mt."  Can you harvest more than one bird in CT during turkey season?  Here in NJ turkeys are by lottery permit only and it's one bird per permit.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12741 on: January 26, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Mike, I usually make a quick natural blind,but my daughter is coming with me this year so I need a pop up blind. She's practicing calling already.

I hunt private land here,so I can take 3 bearded birds.Might have to break out "BamYew" too. State land limit is 2.

I take a couple kids every year for the 2 youth turkey days the state offers. They are the 2 saturdays before opening day.The kids have to be 12-16.I have a blast every year with them. It's funny to watch how excited/nervous the kids get when a gobbler is coming in.I can't wait for my daughter to turn 12.She wants to take her gobbler with a longbow.  :goldtooth:

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12742 on: January 26, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Goshawkin....were you shooting instinctively at that knot, or split vision?....   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12743 on: January 26, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
After that other discussion I'm not sure now!!!!
  :confused:    :smileystooges:    :knothead:    :help:  

I missed so I'll go with instinctive
  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12744 on: January 26, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
Well I managed to make it out for a short hunt this evening, here in VA we have an "antlerless only" season that runs until march. Had some light snow on the ground from last night. I saw lots of tracks in the snow, including some coyote tracks, but no deer were sighted this evening. It was still fun to get out, here's a poor quality pic taken from my makeshift pit blind, featuring my 68" Big Five, it's 55# at 29", cocobola riser, tempered bamboo, antler tips, and buffalo hide covered dished grip. And naturally, it's a lefty. The arrow is a cedar, also from HH archery.

Glad to see this thread is still going, its one of the main reasons I ordered a Hill longbow, I'm normally a recurve or heavy R/D bow shooter.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12745 on: January 26, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Im glad those woodies are getting the use they deserve nick.  As far as the other topic I was wondering if that was you there.  I went back to 3U and Gap all the way now so I'm out of the discussion.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12746 on: January 26, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Im thinking of getting a Howard Hiill glove.  Do any of you shoot them? if so do you shoot the standard or the deluxe.  Thanks

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12747 on: January 26, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
Im thinking of getting a Howard Hiill glove.  Do any of you shoot them? if so do you shoot the standard or the deluxe.  Thanks
I like the one that Bateman makes better, It's made of cordovan, and I find that the finger stalls fit much better. Bateman has a website you can check out.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12748 on: January 26, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
darren,
I was looking at those but I use a pretty deep hook and am worried about the strings getting behind the stalls.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12749 on: January 26, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
I made this quiver a few weeks back and just finished building a bow to go with it.

It's 66", 49@26, bacote riser, actionboo cores, brown glass on the back and white on the belly.

It's my second bow and my first glass bow. It shoots very well and has very little hand shock. I just finished it up today and had to post a couple pics.
 Brad

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12750 on: January 26, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Great job on the builds!!

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12751 on: January 26, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Brian,  check out the American Leathers Crossover also

I've tried them all, used the Hill glove for years, tried/have the Bateman, but the Crossover trumps them in my opinion

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12752 on: January 26, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
I have a Hill Deluxe Glove.  I don't care for it.  Well made.  Just way too thick and clumsy for my taste.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12753 on: January 26, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
It seems so easy now.  I bought my first trad bow, a Wesley Special,  about a dozen years ago.  I shot it some but never mastered it and went back to a compound.  I sold off my compound late last spring and dedicated myself to my longbow since.  I have had good days and bad.  I have followed paths along the way that kept my frustrated for weeks.  I feel like now I have found my stride.  I have been on the right path for weeks now.  I pick the bow up and in one fluid motion let it rip.  Almost every shot is a winner and it seems so easy, without much thought.  The key now is I am sure of myself and know what it feels like.  I love my Hill bow.  I post this for the new guys.  If you are like me you are solo with no help.  You read all sorts of stuff on forums like this.  You try different things.  You have a few good shots and start down a fruitless path.  Just keep with it and one day it will click.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12754 on: January 26, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
Nice post Craig..

It took a while for me to "get" Hill bows but they are my favorite bows to shoot by far.. And I seem to shoot 'em pretty fair too !

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12755 on: January 26, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Brian,Yep,they're getting a work out.The ash are holding up great.Let's just say the rocks have an early lead on the cedars   :rolleyes:      :D

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12756 on: January 27, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
Are there any of you that have a Hill style from 7 Lakes Longbows?  What about one that you finished from one of his "blanks?"  I've been thinking of trying one of those and would like to see and hear more.

Anyone?

Thanks.

LOVE this thread too.

Nalajr

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12757 on: January 27, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »
Brian, the Hill glove can be ordered with 1/4" longer stalls.  They take some breaking in and commitment but are a good glove.  I have two. The Bateman in cordovan maybe be better?? I think Byron Ferguson use the Bateman.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12758 on: January 27, 2013, 06:26:00 AM »
Nala, there is one of those blanks sitting at my buddy's house right now. Osage riser, boo cores, black glass. We'll see how it turns out!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12759 on: January 27, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by BCWV:
I made this quiver a few weeks back and just finished building a bow to go with it....
classic - ya built a bow to go with a quiver ya just built.  awesome!    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©