3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 135688 times)

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12780 on: January 27, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
If you look at the back or belly of the bow under the glass will look like laminate flooring.  Its like narrow strips were glue together to make a lamination.  The nodes don't line up, they are stagered.  I think someone told me it was actionboo.  My next one will be brown glass for sure it just screams classic.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12781 on: January 27, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Thanks Chrism, Guess I have more questions for Craig, HH site does not mention action boo anywhere.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12782 on: January 27, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Ray, I got my Whisper a couple of weeks ago and I have never shot a Hill style bow so well.  I bet you will really be happy with yours.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12783 on: January 27, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
I was kinda surprised when I got the bow.  It shoots great though.  Craig will do all kinds of stuff that is not listed, he will even use carbon.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12784 on: January 28, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by BCWV:
Thanks.  That is a great looking riser.  Bocote is a beautiful wood.  Love that dark waving grain.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12785 on: January 28, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
Carmelized boo at Hill Archery is only dark stained, per Craig. I've never seen action boo on anything he does, but maybe by special request. Steve at Northern Mist will and does use action boo, and has good results with it.  It's very consistent and performs well.  My preference with NM is action boo cores or elm.  Love my elm core bows.  I like the yew, boo, or combos from Craig.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12786 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
My Wesly's bamboo is thin slices that have been glued up.  Wonder what is up with that?

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12787 on: January 28, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Chris, I wouldn't worry about it. Laminated bamboo is really consistent and performs as well as anything else.

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12788 on: January 28, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
Chris I spoke with craig (HH) . He said yes the caramelized and some regular boo is indeed laminated. He calls it LAMBOO and says he uses it because of how well it performs.

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12789 on: January 28, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
I also asked a question about number of laminations vs performance. It is true that more lams increases performance. However, there is a law of diminishing returns that comes into play. The biggest increase is going from 3 to 4 lams. You will also gain going from 4 to 5 lams, but not as much as from 3 to 4. You will also gain going from 5 to 6, but not as much as from 4 to 5. I haven't noticed any significant change by adding more lams to a 6 lam bow. It also works the same way with other limb materials too because you are adding glue joints....but the biggest changes come with using bamboo because of the fiber increase.
Yes, the carmelized bamboo is a laminated bamboo. I also have some regular color bamboo that is action boo, but most of it is a one piece bamboo. The laminated bamboo (lamboo) increase performance a little, but not enough to get too hyped up about.

Offline ArrowPlane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12790 on: January 28, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
I tried making my first back quiver, and it's somewhat Hill-style, but not exactly.  I am having a rather hard time getting used to it, and I'm not really in love with it.

Since my Hill is on the way, I want to make another one, but right this time.  I'll be using my current until then to try and figure out exactly what needs to be changed on it from a form/fit/function perspective.

In addition to that, does anyone have any fanstic references for the construction of a back quiver?  Pictures are good for a sense of the style and construction, but to get the straps right with regards to alignment and fit, they don't do much.  I'm not a huge fan of the lace adjustment system on most Hill-style quivers, but is that the secret to getting them to fit right?

Thanks all for the input.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12791 on: January 28, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
I used the back quiver plans by Rob D in the how-to section but made a few personal modifications. I changed the top strap placement after trying it on the upper/inner corner of the quiver body but found it dropped the arrows too far away from my limited reach. I moved it to the center and now it's much better for my reach. An occasional bump is needed by my bow arm elbow to kick it up a bit for reaching the arrows, but usually not.

I used a strap adjustment style shared with me by David Mitchell. I like the lace adjustment ease of use. Simply untie and adjust and then retie. If the lace ever breaks, it's an easy replacement to be back in business.

The open slot in the fold over flap is where the strap used to be located.

If I build another one it'll be much the same but about an inch or two longer and about three inches wider. The leather piece was 26" tall folded to 21" +/- and 19" wide at top and 18" wide at bottom before lacing together. I'll likely go 28" tall folded to 23+" and 22" wide top and 20" wide bottom. I have the leather to make two more, but have yet to commit knife to a cut. Some day.

Treated with Olive Oil and then Aussie conditioner with a touch of waterproofing.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12792 on: January 28, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
Carmelized boo at Hill Archery is only dark stained, per Craig. I've never seen action boo on anything he does, but maybe by special request. Steve at Northern Mist will and does use action boo, and has good results with it.  It's very consistent and performs well.  My preference with NM is action boo cores or elm.  Love my elm core bows.  I like the yew, boo, or combos from Craig.
I bought a carmelized bamboo Big 5 from Craig a couple years ago. Craig does not stain the bamboo, it's heat treated to get the bamboo carmelized.

In my opinion it's a little stiffer to draw, and also a little quicker. If you go back on this thread a couple hundred pages, there's an in depth conversation on how the limbs are heat treated to get the carmelized look.

This is a quote I found from Rob D. "heat tempering bamboo/cane ("caramelizing") always increases stiffness, compression and durability.

as an example, if 2 tembos were built to the precise same spex, but one had the boo heat tempered to the point of changing the pith color (and molecular composition), the heat tempered limbed bow will be higher in draw weight."

link to the my carmelized bamboo Big 5
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=098440#000000
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12793 on: January 28, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
So which way does Craig carmelize?  Two methods said as per Craig....

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12794 on: January 28, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
I just talked to Craig on the phone, he does not stain the bamboo, it's heat treated when he buys it. I remember him telling me this several years ago when I bought mine. Stain bamboo will fade in the sun, the heat treated will is carmelized through out the bamboo.
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12795 on: January 28, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
I just talked to Craig on the phone, he does not stain the bamboo, it's heat treated when he buys it. I remember him telling me this several years ago when I bought mine. Stain bamboo will fade in the sun, the heat treated will is carmelized through out the bamboo.
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12796 on: January 28, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
Craig told me it's stained. This was a year ago, I have one up right now where we discussed it when I ordered it, maybe 1 1/2 yrs ago. Anyway, that's what he told me.  Maybe it's different now...     :dunno:  

I just wanted the color to be dark anyway, I wasn't looking for anything different like a performance increase so I really didn't care either way.  Whatever, really is of no consequence.

The information via Rob was exactly why I asked about it.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12797 on: January 28, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Overspined-

Nate also has been using carmelized bamboo in his bows foe a long time.

Your really going to like the carmelized bamboo; are you using clear glass?
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12798 on: January 28, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Matt, two or three of the bows you looked at this weekend had the amber bamboo in them. It really looks nice under clear glass or when used with solid color glass. I will often use it as part of the overall look in my bows,giving the edge of the limb something to do besides look white if using the natural colored boo.
Nice to see you agin at the show. Thanks for stopping by,
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12799 on: January 28, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Good looking quiver Bud, Saturday I'm making my first quiver via those instructions.

I gotta have something presentable to put my arrows in for the hog hunt next month!
Thom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©