3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 135554 times)

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #12860 on: February 02, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
Thanks Knapper.  That explains a lot.  Guess it'll be carbon or nothing on the convex/concave models.

I too am curious to see how the carbon works out.  I'm glad to hear that it is being used as a necessary alternative to fiberglass, not as a marketing or performance gimmick, or something like that.  Not that I think David would use a material in that manner.  As for glass I'm all for it.  Like I said it's on all of my bows to date.  And I know I stated here way back in the thread that once Howard discovered fiberglass he used it all the time and it's now part of Hill-style development and history.  

I agree with Ralph that the Expedition is one hard hitting, flat shooter.  When I was able to draw bows of comparable weight to my old Expedition it out performed them for sure.  I gotta get another one, just lighter in weight with CARBON.  

And for what it's worth none of my questions, thoughts, facts, insights or opinions are intended to nit pick or aggravate anyone.  I like hanging out around here, but this site only survives because we're allowed to do any and all of the above.  Minus the aggravating of course      :)
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12861 on: February 02, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Reading Knappers post I realize that carbon is a necessity. I remember David had some issues with the woven fiberglass.
If it's not available, than something has to fill it's place.
Glad for Knapper's info

and to edit in a melancholy thought;
broadcasting how great a bowyer is will, for sure, get him more business, but it will also almost always insure it will be a lot more difficult to get in the door after that.

Great bowyers are like great auto mechanics. Sometimes there are advantages to keeping them a well kept secret ....  ?
ha!
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12862 on: February 02, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
When John emailed me pics of his Expedition I was very impressed, its a great looking and unique bow. I emailed Dave and he said my Expedition could be either carbon or glass - I said build whatever makes the nicest, longest lasting bow. Can't wait to see what arrives!

@ Ralphie - I'm pretty pleased with my harem, I've been lucky enough to get my hands on some great examples of the longbow. Once the the Expedition arrives I'll be content.... Aside from the need for a Sunset Hill, a Sage, a Hawk..... Lol

@Darren - you're right brother, the bug really took hold in me. Once I got my first Hill everything just 'clicked'. They're the perfect bow for my imperfect shooting!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12863 on: February 02, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
Ralphie, have you heard of David Miller?  I haven't.  Anyone else heard of him?  

This is my futile attempt to jump start the forgetting process so his order line doesn't continue to grow    :D    :p
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12864 on: February 02, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up, knapper, I was told the same thing about the Millers and carbon vs woven glass.

Maybe he uses different finishes, but on my split bamboo HE TOLD ME he uses car clear coat bumper paint.

I realize things can change, but I'm trying to understand why everyone questions everything when facts are stated as being right from the source...it's frustrating feeling like everything posted is questioned without first checking.

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12865 on: February 02, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
Thanks for clearing that up, knapper, I was told the same thing about the Millers and carbon vs woven glass.

Maybe he uses different finishes, but on my split bamboo HE TOLD ME he uses car clear coat bumper paint.

I realize things can change, but I'm trying to understand why everyone questions everything when facts are stated as being right from the source...it's frustrating feeling like everything posted is questioned without first checking.
I think it's all about information gathering.
 With the internet, it's so fast, people tend to overlap one another.  People quote their source, as you did, ("HE TOLD ME he uses car clear coat bumper paint. "), to avoid the "where did you hear that?" ........

Everyone wants to know as much as they can, as fast as they can. All in all, I think that is a good thing.

Everything has negative aspects

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12866 on: February 02, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
Thank you guys for the Pics, I hope David uses the Curly Myrtle for my riser!

Cany wait till it gets here.

Ralphie, good to see the stable is all out of R&D bows!...I still have that Whip you sold me....Might sell it for a light weight Hill bow for my daughter!

Patrick
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12867 on: February 02, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
@ Patrick
It would probably be good to call him and make sure he uses the myrtle.

Calling my harem a stable !

Actually, I picked up two Fred Anderson Rover bows. shhhhhhhhh

A light Hill bow is hard to find. But a great idea for your daughter.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12868 on: February 02, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
You guys have me all pumped up talking about Dave.

So, if you don't want to wait for a Miller, you can go take the class with him!  You walk away with a bow that he helped you build to his standards.  No waiting involved!

A little bummed about the carbon thing though.  I don't think they make it in clear....  Guess the bow I leave with will have a black back.

Shot the tembo for awhile today.  Muscles felt fatigued after only about 50 arrows.  Wonder if it's the cold, or I just haven't been out there enough in the last couple of months?
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12869 on: February 02, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Talked to David a week ago and my Old Tom should be in my hands this month (February).  I say this because he told my that the wait time is no longer the eight months that I got but now it's 14 months......I got lucky and ordered last July.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12870 on: February 02, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
David Millers bows are outstanding in every way, I now own  four with a fifth coming in awhile. I have a , a cc/cv bamboo Hawk,an made with bamboo and yew and just recently picked up an and all are beautiful working pieces of Art. We are lucky to have more class bowyers now than any time in history and they have better material than ever to work with. David Miller is a Master at his craft. So many bows so little time. Long live the longbow. Ron.

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12871 on: February 02, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
I have been bitten by the Howard Hill bug also as far as the bows go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just do not know about the back quiver as of yet.  It has some major adavantages but it also has a couple of draw backs.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12872 on: February 02, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I think I have the bug to.... I have a Northern Mist Classic that so far I love. I would love to get a SunsetHill... And a Miller Expedition would be great, but the wait and the price are a limiting factor for sure!! We'll see, maybe Nate will restart building bows, and maybe I'll have enough money for a Miller as well on day.
Cheers

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12873 on: February 02, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Agreed Knapper, I use a Hill back quiver for small game, but generally not often for big game anymore unless I'm stalking or sitting on the ground. 1/2 the time I have a treestand on my back and don't want to sling a quiver on top. I can carry a GFA in the same hand as my bow so I do that a lot. I am making my own hip quiver to hold more arrows.  The hood quivers also would seem to keep the heads from dulling as easily. I realize arrows don't rattle much in a good back quiver, but they do make noise that I don't like for deer, the feathers even Krinkle a bit when you move.  I would use one for elk, they aren't as keyed in to every sound.

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12874 on: February 03, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
Agreed Overspined, but I may pick one up to have and look at.  Just what I need something that costs me money so I can look at it.

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12875 on: February 03, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
Darren is that wood as red as it looks in the photo that you posted.  If it is what kind is it.  If it is that red it is more stunning than a 20 year old!

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12876 on: February 03, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
That bow of Darren's is real eye candy!

Pete - I put my Expedition order in last July as well, hopefully it's not too far behind your Old Tom on Dave's list!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12877 on: February 03, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
The high gloss finish on Darren's bow is indeed good looking. Really sets off the woods !

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12878 on: February 03, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Ralphie,

Just curious, did you ever trade your Sage for another bow?

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline JohnI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12879 on: February 03, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
I went out today and shot both my Expeditions side by side. one 68" 69@27 fiberglass backed the other 69" 63@27 carbon backed. I shot the same arrows out of both at 25 yds. and found them to appear to have the same speed and arrows hit the same area of the target. Not exact science but I would say imho that the carbon backing is a plus.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©