3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 135378 times)

Online jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13000 on: February 25, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
I have been shooying GT 1535 out of my Old Tom untill I got some Surewood Doug fir. They great, that is what shooting a Hill styl bow is all about. There is something about a wooden arrow out of a longbow that feels right.
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown
66" Nothern Mist American

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13001 on: February 25, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Now that the hog hunt is over, are there any plans for another hunt? Is there any interest in another group hunt?

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13002 on: February 26, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
GregD there was talk at the hunt about another.  The talk is only in the infant stages right now though.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13003 on: February 26, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
Yeah, I thought it was Javies in Texas next year....  I might fly to that one though.

So my daughter (6th grade) was assigned a research paper that they had to propose their own topic for.  While I was away in GA with some of y'all, she decided to submit the following topic for approval:  "Howard Hill and how he helped to make archery a popular sport."  Came up with that on her own, and the teacher approved it.  I have to say I might get into a school project for a change!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13004 on: February 26, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
David,Get involved in that project.I remember helping my kids,right up to and in University.My daughters now a doctor,you won't regret it.I've got lots of Hill info if you need a hand.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13005 on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
Well y'all, Friday night the Berry Vixen was in good form. Took home second place at the 3D tourney, about 20 longbow shooters. Most of the LB were black widows, ACS (a&h), and some more hybrid mixtures. Only one Hill style bow, Kurt Stunkle took first, maybe next month the straight stick can do it. these straight sticks can hang with the best of them.
Congratulations on your doing so well with the straight stick, against the bows you mentioned.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13006 on: February 26, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by canopyboy:
Yeah, I thought it was Javies in Texas next year....  I might fly to that one though.

So my daughter (6th grade) was assigned a research paper that they had to propose their own topic for.  While I was away in GA with some of y'all, she decided to submit the following topic for approval:  "Howard Hill and how he helped to make archery a popular sport."  Came up with that on her own, and the teacher approved it.  I have to say I might get into a school project for a change!
Thats Great Dave! I've got the book hunting the hard way if you don't already have it..
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13007 on: February 26, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Dave, that will be a fun project,
And ralph, thanks.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13008 on: February 26, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Dave,  that brings back memories.....I did a term paper once in English Lit..."The Rise and Fall of the English Longbow"......got me an A from a non-hunting teacher.... ;)

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13009 on: February 26, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Dave-

When I was in college I did a essay on the Evolution of the Bow, I passed with an A too.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13010 on: February 26, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Over the past several weeks I've been talking about another hunt next year with a bunch of the guys/girls that attended the HillGang Hog Hunt.

We've had several suggestions about different game to hunt but the majority wants to hunt javies in Texas.

In the next couple of weeks we should have an idea where it will be, and how many hunters can be accommodated so we can set a date for next year.

Stay tuned...
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13011 on: February 26, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Craig Ekin sent some of the bows that Howard Hill made to the Hog Hunt. After handling some of the bows that Craig Ekin sent, I really like a thin deep core grip.

My grip was already one inch, so I'm adding wood to the handle to make it deeper. Then i'm going to reshape it and add a leather grip. I hope it works.

Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13012 on: February 26, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Texas may have a chance of being drier.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13013 on: February 26, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Dry is good! Lol

I can do snow up here if anyone's interested.....
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13014 on: February 26, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
If Texas is the next hunt lets make sure that there is a better population of critters.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13015 on: February 26, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
I am checking into some places in the near future.
Longbows & Short Shots

Online toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13016 on: February 27, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »
Sorry I missed the Hill hog hunt how did it go?

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13017 on: February 27, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by tradlongbow:
Craig Ekin sent some of the bows that Howard Hill made to the Hog Hunt. After handling some of the bows that Craig Ekin sent, I really like a thin deep core grip.

My grip was already one inch, so I'm adding wood to the handle to make it deeper. Then i'm going to reshape it and add a leather grip. I hope it works.

I remember talking to you about it.  Decided just to do it yourself it looks like.  Very cool.  Can't wait to see how it comes out.

I'm seriously considering doing that with my Tembo that has the locator grip as well.  I have to say the deep grips I tried felt a lot better than I ever expected.  I originally went with the locator since it was closer to what I was transitioning away from.  But I find with the Hill style it's not working for me and I was glad to get to try the more traditional deep grips at the Hog Hunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13018 on: February 27, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
3blades,  In 7th grade I did a paper on the use and importance of the longbow during the Civil War.

Offline Bowboy_AR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13019 on: February 27, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Hello everybody! Just want to say I was finally able to catch this "HH bug"... been following the thread for a while and itching to get my first Hill style bow! Well it finally happened a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier! Love the way it looks/feels/shoots/sounds... just LOVE it!  

It's a HHA Cheetah 68", 60# @ 28, made by Craig... no serial number, so unsure of the age. Craig was kind enough to tell me due to the checkering and the fact it only has one lam of bamboo between the two lams of juniper that it's more than likely anywhere between 9 and 15 years old.  Anyway... here's the eye candy:

I don't believe it's the ideal length for me... only getting it back about 25.5", but wanted a Cheetah ever since I found these Hill bows, so I let that sway me and jumped on the opportunity. I'm not unsatisfied AT ALL though and will definitely plan on adding to this collection in the future!  Thanks to everybody that has participated in this ENORMOUS thread... it has been most entertaining and informative!  And now you got me sick!    :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©