3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 135296 times)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13020 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Bowboy, sweet lookin bow! Cheetah would be my choice in a HH bow too.

Eric

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13021 on: February 27, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Bow Boy 68" is just fine for your length.  It is not as fast but will be a little smoother.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13022 on: February 27, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
Bow Boy-

The checkering is awesome! You don't see many like that, that's a special bow.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13023 on: February 27, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Bowboy, I really like that bow. The checkering makes it look really good and special!! A good way to spiff up a hill natural beauty!

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13024 on: February 27, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Great looking bow Bowboy love the checkering, just got my second Hill style bow ever, couldn't shoot the first one that great don't know that I gave it enough of a chance but me and my Super D are becoming friends fast. Wish I could have made to Georgia but newly acquired van let me down and kinda decided to drive local before heading out on a road trip once I fixed it. Been out bareshafting bow today and managed to do a first for me bareshaft with broadheads flying great at about 18 yards, have  always just used field points in past and now after a few problems and lot of adjustments understand a little more about fine tuning!! Broadheads will teach tat in a hurry. Thanks all enjoy this very informative thread and will continue to make a daily reader!!!
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13025 on: February 27, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Sweet looking bow!! Those cheetahs are gorgeous
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13026 on: February 27, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Good job on the Cheetah.  I think they are my favorite of the HHA stock models.

Darin,  I didn't think it was safe to bare shaft with broadheads.  Can't say I have tried it as I have always read it was extremely dangerous.  Sounds like you survived it but be careful.

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13027 on: February 27, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Darin,

Be careful shooting those bare shaft arrows with broadheads on them. Years ago I was shooting a bare shaft with a Snuffer on the end of it to see how it shot. I was shooting down hill into a back stop and when I let the arrow go, it went down the hill for a little ways and then went straight up. At the top of the arrows flight it made a 90 degree turn and flew into a housing development!! I never did find that arrow and was glad I didn't kill anyone. That was my first and only time trying that.

Bill

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13028 on: February 27, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
I can see where it would be, but really shows flaws in tuning and theres nothing around for a couple hundred yards but thanks for the advice. At first mine just kind of wind planed to the side or down I really did not believe it possible to get one tuned to where it would fly straight but now I know it's possible and bow shooting great.Thanks again for warning though as I never seen one take off like you mentioned, sure wouldn't won't to lead anyone else to do anything to get hurt. Picture of area by house where I shoot also hunt here some too.  

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13029 on: February 28, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Nice bow Bowboy!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13030 on: February 28, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Not to cut hairs, but isn't the Super D a mild r/d bow? Or is it a straight limbed bow with just the ends reflexed like a Ferguson z66, and Javaman American?

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13031 on: February 28, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
WoooHoooo! A couple weeks ago I acquired a Howard Hill Tembo 70" 68 @ 28 built by Ted Kramer during his time at HHA and after some quality time this week ive found the shaft she likes and got her fine tuned. What a sweet shooter! All i can say is that Mr. Kramer sure knows his business. She's got a few bumps and bruises but after a face lift she'll be good as new. How can you not love a Hill, no matter who built it!

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13032 on: February 28, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Brianlocal3 not a problem, from what I found out about Super D it is accepted as a Hill Style bow and if not that's ok too. A few of them where even slated to go on Hill Gang Hog Hunt, no Idea if any of them made it or not. It is definately not what I'd consider a mild R/D bow but then again all I really know is I like to shoot them,a lot. I will try to post an unstrung picture so you can judge for yourself. Thanks for input!!!                               Moleman I've tried to land a Tembo myself before just seems like a bow I'd like, How about some before and after pictures of facelift.                   Super D unstrung:

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13033 on: February 28, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Will do Darin, its gonna be a while before the facelift but i will for sure post pics. From all ive read the super D is an awesome bow, congrats on a fine piece!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13034 on: February 28, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Darin,

Ill agree , Hill or not they are great shooters!!!! And that one looks sharp. I'm going to say its a straight stick with some flip at the ends, and looks sweet.
Javaman has one like it.

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13035 on: February 28, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Thanks Brian

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13036 on: February 28, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I want to try some sure woods out of my vixen. What spine are you shooting

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13037 on: February 28, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
Brian 65-70 spine, 125 grain up front almost 29" Bop. Just got em bareshafted yesterday,need to build a few more now. I do a lot of stumping untill the chiggars come out surewoods one tough shaft!!!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13038 on: February 28, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
Sweet, thanks

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13039 on: March 01, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Bowyer question that started to bother me once I looked at the different bows at the hog hunt.  I think I'll post on the bench too, but wanted to get thoughts on this thread as well since it's Hill style bows I'm concerned about.  (Skip the big paragraphs if you want me to get to the point.)

Trapping the limbs.  Doing it on wooden bows means reducing the width of the bow on the back to make a trapezoidal cross section.  The idea is that wood is stronger in tension than compression.  A rectangular section has a neutral axis at the mid point, putting the back and belly fibers at the same stress, even though the belly will start to fail at a lower stress.  Reducing the back starts to move the neutral axis towards the belly, which increases the stress at the back fibers compared to the belly fibers.  This brings those stresses into better balance relative to their respective limits.  

In short, trapping the back gives you a better balanced and more efficient bow limb when the compression strength is less than the tension strength.

Now I noticed that a couple of the Hill bows built by Dave Miller and John Schulz in particular were significantly trapped (back) in the same manner.  In comparison Craig's bows are rectangular, and Nate's bows seem to have semicircular sides almost.

However, in a fiberglass bow, the majority of the stress is carried in the glass as it is the outer fiber and has a higher modulus of elasticity than cane or wood.  Fiberglass in general actually has the opposite problem compared to wood.  A highly oriented type we have researched at work has the following properties and is indicative with the trends of all glass composites.  This particular type has a yield strength of 52,000 psi in tention, but 59,200 psi in compression.  Looking through a bunch more samples and data that 10-15% increase in compression strength is the standard.  (Carbon however, is the opposite, with tensile strength being about 50% greater than compressive.)

So theoretically, a glass lam bow should have a trapped belly if anything for improved efficiency based on engineering principles.  The effect of the wood core may negate this slightly, so I could see a rectangular cross section being close to optimum.

So my question is, why would anyone trap a glass laminated bow, especially trap the back?  The only reason I can come up with is it works with wood, so people feel it must help with glass.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©