3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 135298 times)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13040 on: March 01, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
My glassed Schulz has a trapped profile and my split bamboo is not - I'm guessing John altered the limb design between the two for some reason (probably similar to your ideas highlighted above).

The trapped Schulz is a very fast and shock free bow I can say that.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

« Reply #13041 on: March 01, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
I have played around with the amount of trap and even with revirse trap. My Schulz Legend 66"and 64#@26&1/4", is belly trapped very slim at the tips, soft in the hand with a 16 strand B50 string and very very fast considering the 26" draw comparative parameter. The one reason that I had a string follow for only two weeks, the arrow speed difference was just too much for me to cope with. I have nearly equaled it for speed and surpassed it for a smooth draw at 26" with a 68" 58@26" HalfBreed from a blank that is not trapped in the belly. I slightly tapered the glass and got a magical bow that still shows no signs of wear after thousands and thousands of shots.  I think the feel of the bow has more to with the limb action than the exact limb shape. Niether of these bows are for sale at any price, don't ask.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13042 on: March 01, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
I seem to be able to shoot Hill style bows with small tips better than bows with larger tips. I could never seem to do well with a HHA bow but using a Shrew Hill and my new Northern Mist Classic and I seem to be getting much better performance. The HHA bows feel bulkier in comparison.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13043 on: March 02, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
The thread was on page two so i figured some pics were in order.

here is the Vixen with a quiver full of arrows and my new glove, the BW stick tight super.  Ill tell you more about that glove later.

Oh and here is a new vixen. Not mine but the guy who got it asked if id post the pics in his thread so I did.  Plus, I think they belong here.

JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13044 on: March 02, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
The black widow stick tight glove is what I ordered.  I have been wanting a new glove, one with more protection than the standard bear paw classic I was shooting so I started researching.  I have shot the AL big shot and the Crossover and like them both.  Then I was going to get a Hill deluxe but all the stories of them flying off with every shot had me looking else ware.  I was hesitant about dropping 45-60 bucks on the AL if it didn't work out and I came across the BW stick tight super.  

This glove is fantastic!!!!! Thick, good quality leather with nylon overlays like the Big shot, and double straps on each stall to keep them in place with a nice wrist strap and they are ONLY $20.  So I ordered one and it was stiff as expected at first arrival but I put some conditioner on it and shot it a little for two nights and thats all it took. The thing just forms to the hand and give a fantastic release.  This thing should last a long long time by the construction of it.  It offers superior protection also.  I am now going to order a second one so i can get it broke in also and have a spare for, not if but when, I mis place my other one.  If any of you are in the market for a new glove but like me don't want to drop the money on a Big shot, seriously look at the Stick Tight.

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13045 on: March 02, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
I've been eyeing the stick tight glove as well. Its good to hear your take on it Brian. Might have to give that one a try. Hopefully before long I'll be breaking a new glove and a new Vixen in at the same time.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13046 on: March 02, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
That is great Greg. Nothing better.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13047 on: March 02, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Sounds like a nice glove Brian. I have a good inventory of gloves  and tabs right now, but if I need something else in the future, I might just have to give the BW glove a try.

Made a discovery today about what how my Misty Dawn like it's arrows to be nocked. I have been shooting them with the cock feather out like I shoot my NM Classic. Seemed like the thing to do, but even though my bare shafts shot nicely out of it, the feathered arrows wobbled down to the target most of the time. Just for the heck of it, I shot with the cock feather in. Son-of-a-gun, I got great arrow flight! Tried cock in on the NM...no dice. Must be out.

Now I'm in a fix. Do I keep both bows and live with the difference, or do I sell one or the other and get a new bow that matches the one I keep. I like both bows, but a 68" Shelton would make a nice mate for the Classic, while a Vixen with black glass would look nice alongside the Misty Dawn.

I know what you'd do, Brian!

P.S. Just had a thought: I wonder if I went to 4-fletch I'd get good flight out of both bows. Any thoughts on this one?
Chuck

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13048 on: March 02, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
I don't know Chuck, but your right, you know what I'd do!  I have heard it said if it flys good cock festher in then it could be a stuff arrow? I'm not sure of that.  If you have the ability to fletch if try a four fletch just for the heck of it

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13049 on: March 02, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I saw one of those Widow gloves at the Hog Hunt. Looked like a great option (especially when you look at the price) for those that shoot a glove rather than tab.
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13050 on: March 02, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
The black widow stick tight glove is what I ordered.  I have been wanting a new glove, one with more protection than the standard bear paw classic I was shooting so I started researching.  I have shot the AL big shot and the Crossover and like them both.  Then I was going to get a Hill deluxe but all the stories of them flying off with every shot had me looking else ware.  I was hesitant about dropping 45-60 bucks on the AL if it didn't work out and I came across the BW stick tight super.  

This glove is fantastic!!!!! Thick, good quality leather with nylon overlays like the Big shot, and double straps on each stall to keep them in place with a nice wrist strap and they are ONLY $20.  So I ordered one and it was stiff as expected at first arrival but I put some conditioner on it and shot it a little for two nights and thats all it took. The thing just forms to the hand and give a fantastic release.  This thing should last a long long time by the construction of it.  It offers superior protection also.  I am now going to order a second one so i can get it broke in also and have a spare for, not if but when, I mis place my other one.  If any of you are in the market for a new glove but like me don't want to drop the money on a Big shot, seriously look at the Stick Tight.
I am always amazed at how different archery things work for different people.
I bought a Stick Tight glove and was not happy.
The Berlin-style deerskin glove from Raptor Archery works perfect .... for me.

What works for one person well, seems to mean just that, and only that.

I am glad there is the classifieds so we can re cycle our tackle ...... on that long road to the perfect kit in the sky.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13051 on: March 02, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
Ralphie,
I have the deerskin glove too. I actually shoot better with it right now, but it's what I'm use to. My only complaint is finger soreness. I love love love the release I get from it, I just get sore fingers after a long 3d round . It's a great glove

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13052 on: March 02, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
True, true, friends I have recommended the deerskin to have also told me finger soreness is an issue. It never seems to bother me. I like feeling the string.
But for the price .... if the BW does work .... and it works for a lot of people .. it is the buy of the century.
ralph
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13053 on: March 02, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Brian: Found this discussion about shooting the cock feather in:  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=076546;p=1

Someone noted that it allowed lowering the nocking point. Right now, the nocking point on my Misty Dawn is at 3/16" (I nock above the nocking point.)

On my Classic, it's at 5/16". Might try lowering it and see if It straightens out my arrow flight with cock feather in.
Chuck

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13054 on: March 03, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
Outstanding Chuck. Best if luck in that ad keep us posted

Online toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13055 on: March 03, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
anyone else been having problem with index finger?  here lately been developing a callous and tearing skin on bottom of finger by my nail.  Thought is was the glove (american leather) switched, then thought it was me "biting" down on the arrow nock, but not it, any idea's?

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13056 on: March 03, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
I had that problem too todd - it was caused by shooting too much (i.e. heavy bow, 100 arrows a day, everyday). Once I switched to every second day and cut the callous off with a knife didn't come back.
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13057 on: March 03, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Hey Toddster,

I've had that problem years ago.  Sometimes you can be placing too much pressure on the arrow nock with your index finger.  Two things, is your string angle pinching your fingers, or can you just place your finger about 1/8" above the nock when you grasp the string?  Also, I nock above and don't have that problem anymore.  Those are a few things you may check out.

Some people also get porpoising arrows, so I know getting that finger above the nock a touch can help assuming you nock your arrow below the string nock.

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13058 on: March 03, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Todd, look in the "How To Resources" forum under "Finger Pinch Solved".

I was having the same problem you described and this little trick solved it.

Good luck.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13059 on: March 03, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Todd...sometimes its only the drawing elbow a little too high.  Make sure you are keeping it low and in line with the arrow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©