3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 135174 times)

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13120 on: March 14, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
I needed a take down for a upcoming hog hunt next month. I got this one finished up and ready to break her in at a 3D shoot this weekend.

66", 52@26, brown glass back and belly with an osage riser.

I really want to take a hog with a setup I made, that would be sweet!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13121 on: March 14, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
BCWV ....saweet!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13122 on: March 14, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
BCWV,That's some nice work! Hope you get a hog with it  :thumbsup:

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13123 on: March 14, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Thanks fellas   :D

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13124 on: March 14, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Ol' Nick has a wild new edition coming to his house.......
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13125 on: March 15, 2013, 05:48:00 AM »
Nice work Brad! I hope to see you this weekend.

Offline BigJ1632

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13126 on: March 15, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Hi fellas.  Need some advice on a back quiver.  I've never used one before and I am looking to get into one as I have fallen in love with my (new to me) HH bow.  I don't want to put a quiver on the bow, so back quiver it is.  I've been thinking on a HH back quiver and was wanting some opinions as to the soft leather or the heavy/stiff model.  Also, the pros and cons of that quiver versus others I have seen on sites such as 3Rivers.  I'm not particularly married to the Howard Hill Brand, although I am pleased thus far.  Thanks for the help.
HH Wesley Special 58@31
Martin ML14 50@28
Bear Hunter T/D 50@28

Online toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13127 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Mr. Wesley is a great guy.  I went to his school 5 years ago.  He is first rate and has vast amount of knowledge of Mr. Hill and the method.  If you have a chance go and learn to shoot from him.  Not saying that he is the only one, but one of the last few.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13128 on: March 15, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
BigJ you may want to do a search on back quivers.  There has been tons of discussion on that topic on here.  Lots of opinions expressed.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13129 on: March 15, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
I thought it was interesting he shoots both split and three under. He also has shot wood in the past but predominantly shoots aluminum now.It makes you think that Howard would have been open to some of the newer arrow and bow making  materials out there today.

« Reply #13130 on: March 15, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
If you go with the stiff Hill model, I would get the longer model if your draw is over 26" or if you like longer than 27" bop arrows. I would suggest getting a bottle of Neats glove oil. I got two of them for a father and son, they came round and hard. Soak them on the inside of the quiver. The glove oil will make the hard ones pliable to conform to your particular back shape. Heating them up in the sun in the back window of your car with the oil treatment will soften them as well. But be warned, wear a shirt that you don't care so much for, because the color will bleed out and stain your shirt, a lot.
However, once they are broken into your own shape, you will never use anything else.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13131 on: March 15, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
I have the soft leather HH quiver, and it is a winner. I only use it for target/stumping so far, but I may try it for whitetails this fall.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13132 on: March 15, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
Howard said that he thought that people who said metal shafts are better may be right. and that wooden arrows went with the spirit of old time archery and demanded more from the archer.
I wonder what he could have done with today's aluminums or carbons?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13133 on: March 15, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Goshawkin:
Howard said that he thought that people who said metal shafts are better may be right. and that wooden arrows went with the spirit of old time archery and demanded more from the archer.
I wonder what he could have done with today's aluminums or carbons?
Honestly, I think he could shoot carbon and aluminum as well as he did wood. Not sure about shooting better. He was about as good as one could get.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13134 on: March 15, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
I have an Art Vincent Back Quiver, I feel he makes the best one out there and I tried alot of them.  Cedar Ridge Leather Works archeryleather.com
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown
66" Nothern Mist American

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13135 on: March 15, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
I have one of the soft HHA back quivers that I really like. It took the shape of my back quickly without any help.

I'm thinking about getting a stiffer one for practice, though, as I sometimes have a hard time getting the arrows back in the soft one with it on my back because of where it bends around my back.
Chuck

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13136 on: March 15, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
I have owned the HHA soft leather back quiver, and ended up selling it. The soft HHA model contours to your back quickly, but at the same time the opening at the top gets smaller as the quiver contours. I had difficulty putting arrows in.
The stiffer HHA quiver is based (I think) on the original, and it may keep its shape better. It also would take a lot longer (years I am thinking) to break in.

I came across Art Vincent at the Baltimore Bowmen shoot, and picked up a back quiver from him. He specifically pointed out his quiver had a stiffer construction at the top so the opening would not collapse.

The design of the HHA quiver is in some ways better(IMHO) than Art's,
 Why?
because the stitching goes down the outside.
The Cedar Ridge quiver (Art Vincent's), stitching goes down the back. In the summer time you will sweat right there, and the lacing does fall apart, It will need to be re laced. Not a big deal, but still a pain.
Art Vincent's quiver, (I have the "Rover")is a lot more expensive than the HHA quiver.
If I got a quiver again, I would try the stiff HHA.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13137 on: March 16, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by typical2:
I finished a reverse handle longbow this weekend.  I definitely used the Northern Mist Whisper for inspiration.  Those are great bows!

This bow is curly maple with ziricote riser and overlays.

I am pleased how it turned out.  Shoots great and looks pretty good too.  It is hard to make a glossy finish look good though.

Eric's bow really turned out great!  I shot it, he'll have to bring it to some shoots to show off.  It's like 70", I draw about 26 1/2", and still no vib!!  I was really impressed, he's going to help me glue one up!    ;)   I'm in the last stages of my first one, 68" backset Hill modeled after the Shrew Hill. I need to take about 10# off with sanding...

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13138 on: March 16, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJ1632:
Hi fellas.  Need some advice on a back quiver.  I've never used one before and I am looking to get into one as I have fallen in love with my (new to me) HH bow.  I don't want to put a quiver on the bow, so back quiver it is.  I've been thinking on a HH back quiver and was wanting some opinions as to the soft leather or the heavy/stiff model.  Also, the pros and cons of that quiver versus others I have seen on sites such as 3Rivers.  I'm not particularly married to the Howard Hill Brand, although I am pleased thus far.  Thanks for the help.
At Kalamazoo I checked out Steve Turay's, it's awesome to say the least. A guy was picking one up.  Beautiful and classy, soft yet thick, and a great size.  I suggest you check out his website, you'll be impressed.

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13139 on: March 16, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
Agreed .. the Northern Mist quiver is really great. Top shelf materials and workmanship. A good choice!
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©