3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 135100 times)

Offline Horserod

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13160 on: March 18, 2013, 02:39:00 AM »
Brian, I have noticed that too.  No one seems to ever have anything to say about the Great Northern Longbow.  I know they're out there.  How about it you guys that have/shoot them ??? I'd sure like to know too!  Horserod

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13161 on: March 18, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
I had a Great Northern Traditional that i bought off an auction site. It was a good bow - fine workmanship.  It shot well but it was a little lighter than I usually shoot so I traded it. I would rate it as a little better than most Hill style bows.
NFetscher

Offline MT Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13162 on: March 18, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Just got my Old Tom, from David last week and I love it, shot the hula out of it over the weekend.  very Zippy and feels very smooth, it shoots the arrows with less perceived effort if that makes any sense at all.  timing is perfect and the best part is it is VERY accurate.

68 inch 70 lb@28 string follow, straight grip.  lovely tips,  brown on brown glass shiney finish with the Myrtle handle.

Pics soon!

just a great bow!
Craig Ekins;
70" -60LB "Robin Hood",string follow  #47 of 50. LE
68" -70Lb Redman, string follow all YEW. "Yewlogy"
68" -75Lb@28. 3 lam Boo. String Follow- "LegendStick"

Ron Maulding : 68" Big Horn , Boo and Osage. 78#@27.

David Miller: Old Tom

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13163 on: March 18, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
I bought your Redman nineworlds. It's been cold, windy, rainy and about every other bad weather you can think of around here. At least it seems like it. I've shot it a few times. It's a lefty but I'm shooting it as a right hand selfbow. The arrows aren't exactly tuned for it but it's not shooting them too bad!

I took out a pigeon at about 12-15 yds and 15 ft up, off a beam of the barn with it! First shot was clooose with a condor on the front. Second shot was with a hammer blunt.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13164 on: March 18, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Called up JD Berry yesterday just to see how he was doing and ended up ordering a reverse grip hill he's calling Pluto after one of his dogs. I had no intention of placing an order for a bow but after he told me about it I decided to. He hasn't even broken the form out sounds like he hasn't made one since the 1980's.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13165 on: March 18, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Outstanding Mike!!!!! Anything from JD Berry is top notch. I had plans of ordering his reverse handled bow, but changed my order to an Argos. Now I am having second thoughts. Berrys straight limbed bow are tops in my books.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13166 on: March 19, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by jeffg:
The Art Vincent Quiver might cost More than a HH but the quality of workman ship and materials is the best bar nun. You get what you pay for. The stiching on the back side will not be a issure becouse of the stiching material. The stiching on the back side looks more professional than raw hide laced like a sneaker on the out side.
Stitching down the back exposes the laces to sweat, when it's warmer. The laces get dried out and eventually break.
Look at the laces dried out and breaking on this Art V Quiver. (excuse my temporary thread repair attempt.
  Art Vincent's laces are thinner and lighter than the lacing used on the HHA, or Northern Mist quivers.

Lacing down the back looks nicer than lacing down the side, because it is hidden from view when the quiver is in use, true. But in practical use the HHA or Northern Mist quiver, which has lacing down the side will last longer.

so, in short .....
 lacing down the back will fall apart sooner than lacing down the side.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13167 on: March 19, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by b.glass:
I bought your Redman nineworlds. It's been cold, windy, rainy and about every other bad weather you can think of around here. At least it seems like it. I've shot it a few times. It's a lefty but I'm shooting it as a right hand selfbow. The arrows aren't exactly tuned for it but it's not shooting them too bad!

I took out a pigeon at about 12-15 yds and 15 ft up, off a beam of the barn with it! First shot was clooose with a condor on the front. Second shot was with a hammer blunt.
Bona, sounds like you're having fun with the Redman!  Keep it up and share any other kills.  Great shooting bow for me.  Shooting it as a self bow you'll need a more flexible arrow.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13168 on: March 19, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
It does't take much or cost much to relace it. I can do that when the craftman ship is there. Art recomend using canola oil on it atleast once a year, that would stop if not reduce the lacing dring out. You gotta take care of any leather
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown
66" Nothern Mist American

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13169 on: March 19, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
There is a really cool 1950's HH bow on the auction site if you're up to pulling #110 lbs. If I could handle it I'd be tempted but one of you guys may want to check it out.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13170 on: March 19, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Here's one I've been enjoying that I picked up in a trade recently.  Only marking is "Osage Custom" and "69" 69@28".  Alot of fun to shoot, making me rethink my collection.  I enjoyed the only other Hill style bow I owned a year or two ago, a Tom Parson's Mattawoman.  Here is pics of the unknown Hill style.

Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13171 on: March 19, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Austin, that bow looks fantastic

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13172 on: March 19, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Brian I have had a hard time putting it down.  Only other bow that has been getting much shooting time is a Berry Renaissance I picked up in the same trade.  That's making me want a Vixen.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13173 on: March 19, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
The bateman glove wont stretch like the hhill. It takes time to break in but if you get the rt size it wont fly off your hand after you release the string..byron ferguson used to use one.and the release is slicker than chicken fat. On glass.the glove is definitely old school top of the line gear.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13174 on: March 19, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Hey MikeNova, you want to be carefull talking to James Berry. Awhile back I called him just to ask a few questions, and the next thing I know I have a Vixen on order. A couple weeks later I called him back, I told him my wife wants to know what happened. After all I just called to ask some questions. James just laughed and said, you want to be carefull who you call. James is a good guy looking forward to recieving my new bow.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13175 on: March 19, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Austin, I can guarantee that if you got a Vixen it would fast go to the top of your list as not only your favorite bow to shot but one of if not the best bow you have shot. I know that's a tall order but I have been blessed to shoot some really good bows and the Vixen tops every bow I have ever released an arrow from.

Arrow, I was highly thinking about the Bateman I just didn't want to get the wrong size and be out that money.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13176 on: March 19, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Great bow Austin. Looks well made.

Stepped outside to enjoy the brisk air today. Took the 70" Grevy, Louis Armbruster sure knew how to build them.

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13177 on: March 19, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by jeffg:
It does't take much or cost much to relace it. I can do that when the craftman ship is there. Art recomend using canola oil on it atleast once a year, that would stop if not reduce the lacing dring out. You gotta take care of any leather
Art told me about Canola oil when I got the quiver. I used Canola oil. Canola oil does not stop sweat.The rest of the quiver is in absolutely, drop dead, great condition !

Re lacing is not a problem. It would be better if it did not need to be done.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13178 on: March 20, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
I need your opinions please. I am sending my 12 year old Wesly back to Montana for Craig to refinish and put new antler limb tips on her. I don't now why I didn't have the antler tips put on when I ordered her. Question, Glossy or Mat Finish? I have come to like the glossy finish look but how durable is it compared to the duller mat finish?
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13179 on: March 20, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »
John,
As I remember from my selfbow days, high gloss is the harder finish.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©