3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134987 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13240 on: March 29, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
Well, thanks to you guys, this thread, and the Hill gang hog hunt thread, I bought a Northern Mist Classic off Limbolt about a month or 6 weeks ago.

I was getting frustrated with it.  The sideplate had a built out section on it.  One day I thought, "what the hay", and removed the build out material from underneath the plate.

What a different beast!  Shot and shot.

Fast forward to today.  I've been working out of town the past couple of weeks.  Today is my first day home.  Headed out to shoot.  I've got a few bows.  Several R/D longbows, couple of recurves which include a sweet new Kempf Kwyk Styk.

So what did I take out the door first?

You guessed it!  LOLOL....my NM Classic....WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS DONE TO ME!

I do have a question though.  Forgive me if it has already been covered, but I'm only to page 100 of this thread.

Question:  I hear many say shoot a heavy arrow from these bows.  I've got 3 setups worked out.
643 gr arrow @ 13.1 gr/lb
591 gr arrow @ 12.1 gr/lb
499 gr arrow @ 10.2 gr/lb

All 3 of these setups are flying great.  The lightest one is a little noisy on release, but the other 2 are whisper quiet.

When people talk about a heavy arrow for a Hill style bow....are we talking about greater than 10 gr/lb, greater than 12 gr/lb, greater than 15 gr/lb?
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13241 on: March 29, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Normally around 10 gr/lb up to maybe 12 grs.  No need to go higher.  That's a sweet bow....enjoy!  :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13242 on: March 29, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
I like between 9-10gpp. I know others like heavier, but I'm happy with the physics, the flight, and the quietness.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13243 on: March 29, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
I'm with khard, 9to no more than 10gpp for me
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13244 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
If you are shooting from a tree then a heavy arrow may be your friend - thank you Sir Newton.  I stay on the ground and too heavy of an arrow does not suit me.  9 -10 gpp is all I'll go.  They still are stuck in the dirt on the off side.  I do shoot a heavier bow 70lbs.  So at 10 gpp I've already got 700 grains.  They come off the bow a bit angry.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13245 on: March 30, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
I'm down at 8 - 8.5 gpp. I really like the flat trajectory and I've still got more than enough weight for whitetails and turkey.

I'd even use this setup on our local black bears - but would probably bump up the weight and add a skinny carbon to the mix for moose.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13246 on: March 30, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
I kinda fell for ash a few years back because of their toughness, weight and feel out of my HH style bows. In order to achieve some adequate FOC and shooting at my 58#'s I'm at 13gpp which serves me well for 25 yds and less. Little bit of a challange on the 3-D courses but you sure see the arch of the arrow.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13247 on: March 30, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
I kinda fell for ash a few years back because of their toughness, weight and feel out of my NM Classic. In order to achieve some adequate FOC and shooting at my 58#'s I'm at 13gpp which serves me well for 25 yds and less. Little bit of a challange on the 3-D courses but you sure see the arch of the arrow.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13248 on: March 31, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
I started shooting shafts of ash, tough stuff, but the mass weight is just too much for me.  I also have had trouble getting shafts where there isn't a ton of grain run-out.  Does grain run-out even matter with ash?  

I use the arrow fix tool and foot cedar with ash, makes it really impact resistant. My foots are only about 3" from taper to tail. They look good, but don't look as nice as the four footed arrows, but I think they are much stronger.  The last batch of 4 foots were terrible, breaking about 2/3 up to where the foot was getting thin, EVERY ONE was weak.  The batch was from a reputable source too.

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13249 on: March 31, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I have not had a Hill style yet,But reading this thread I'm real close.I have a question for ya,when canting a bow,is it done by turning your bow arm and hand or bending at the waist? or alittle of both? Thanks Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13250 on: March 31, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
A little of both.  Google some pics of Howard Hill and Fred bear and study how they do it.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13251 on: March 31, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks Cris, I'll do that
R/D's soon to come

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13252 on: March 31, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
bvs - canting the bow is a rather natural thing.  Don't over think it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13253 on: March 31, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Got some more done today...

This is my biggest quiver build to date and the heaviest leather used to date. I'm not a huge fan of the floppier leather used in some quivers.

After complete I'll soak it in water, but not drench it, and wear it while shooting so it'll preform before field use.

8.75" x 3.5" oval base with triple layer bottom for heavy BH resistance/durability. I have the strap cut and have cemented a softer pigskin leather to the side of the strap that'll contact my clothing. I'll sew it together.

This'n'll be around for a long time and will be handed down to a grandchild, if they're a lefty.

More later as I get'er'dun.

Hope everyone's Easter was good. I got to see alot of family today.  :thumbsup:

<><
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13254 on: April 01, 2013, 06:48:00 AM »
That has to be one of the best looking quivers I've seen.

I have a question for you Bud.

Is the top portion machine stitched?

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13255 on: April 01, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Tippman Boss hand stitch machine that belongs to my Dad. He's had it about ten years.

Thanks for the kind words Roy.

Bud

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13256 on: April 01, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
The Quiver is looking great Bud. Nice work.

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13257 on: April 01, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Beautiful craftsmanship, very very nice!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13258 on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Thanks Paul & Bob.

Got it finished.

Strap sewn.

In the dry

Soaked in warm water for forming

Taking some back bend shape

Beside my last quiver build for size comparison. Now to let it dry and then fine tune.

« Reply #13259 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
Nice work on the quiver. You could sell those, but I would bet the price would hit close to $400 to make it worth doing. With the to the back lacing, I wonder what the difference would be in use with the lap over going with the leather so the edge would be towards the strap side. If that edge would grab a wool jacket if one kicks the quiver up when going for an arrow, versus hanging up when dropping back to shooting position.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©