3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134863 times)

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13340 on: April 07, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
I use paper tuning and the planing method to tune my bows. What I like about paper tuning is it doesn't involve aiming and it shows me what is going on. When I use other methods of tuning, I am not completely sure if the arrows are flying right, left, or are just a bad shot. Overall, I wind up with similar results regardless of the method I use to tune my bows. I recommend trying the different methods and see what works for you.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13341 on: April 07, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
I got the quiver finished, oiled up, and already broken in to go afield. Now time will allow it to be broken in even more.

Still looking for any pics of reproduction HH arrows.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13342 on: April 07, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Went to the 3D range today.  We were taking some crazy shots from the Ironman stakes, and even some crazier shots than that.  Distances to probably 55-60 yds through branches or 3" gaps while leaning and ducking.  Would have been nice to have shorter limbs at times.  The fact that I came back with all of my arrows still shootable was amazing.  I think I had three ricochets into trees.  This one, however, was not a ricochet and hit the one sapling in the way of the kill zone from the shot we were taking.  I figured if I aimed for it I'd miss but hit the foam vitals.  Whoops.

Decent penetration though....

TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13343 on: April 07, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Great shot if you were aiming for it!  :p

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13344 on: April 07, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
great shot!!!! I too went to a 3D tourney today.  The books showed other trad archers but there were none by me.  I took my 4 and 2 year old along for the journey. I figured no chance in finishing the course so I shot from the compound stakes.  We had an OUTSTANDING time.  The kids made it thru 21 of the 40 targets up and down a lot of steep hills. They had fun so I called it quits then.  

Almost a shame to stop early cause I was shooting good, but alas these journeys are short lived with those attention spans.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13345 on: April 07, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13346 on: April 07, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Folks, on a somewhat different note, our good friend and Northern Mist bowyer, Steve Turay spun out on ice up in Michigan late this week as he was headed to the Ky TradFest and rolled his truck.  He called a buddy of mine at the shoot who he was supposed to meet regarding a bow.  He is OK but his truck probably isn't very well.  It was so thoughtful of Steve to call the guys who had planned to meet him at the shoot to take care of bow business and explain why he could not meet them there.  He is just a great guy and I am very thankful he was not hurt.  His wife was not with him on this trip.

I put this note here as most of us on this thread are very familiar with Steve and his fine bows.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13347 on: April 07, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Glad Steve is alright.  Trucks can be replaced.  Whenever I stop by his booth at a shoot he always shoots the bull about longbow design and his techniques.  He knows very well that I'm not going to buy one since I build my own, but is still very generous with information.

Speaking of building my own...here's one I recently finished.  It was supposed to be for a friend, but I missed weight on it.  Too heavy for him, but perfect for me.  Walnut lams with actionboo core, and curly maple riser.  It finished out at 58# @ 28".

>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13348 on: April 07, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Send Steve our best if you speak with him again David.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13349 on: April 07, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
I am glad to hear Steve is ok.  What a scare that is.  

Jsweka, great looking bow. You too do fantastic work

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13350 on: April 07, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Dave, thankful he is OK. Its still very much winter up in his neck of the woods, ya gotta love snow to live up there!

Eric

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13351 on: April 07, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Very nice John.  It's tough when such a nice bow doesn't make weight and you have to keep it for yourself....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13352 on: April 08, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Anyone have pictures of their arrows they made to look like Howard Hill's?
I don't know of reproduction arrows being made today to look like Mr. Hill's, but here is a picture which may be of interest to you;

This is a photo of Mr. Hill on a pig hunt in Valdosta,Georgia, in 1972. The photo was taken, and given to me, personally, by his friend Mr. Ted Wells, who knew, and hunted with him.
It looks to me like the arrow is plain except for a large, (say 12" or so), band of white.
I just thought this would help your historical reference, as to what Mr. Hill's arrows actually looked like.

ralph
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13353 on: April 09, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Ralphie,  Great picture, I just love the old pictures of Howard.  He must have been posing for this photo, no glove or arm guard!  Still a very cool pic!

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13354 on: April 09, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Well, after reading this entire post from front to back. All the other posts on this sight. Believe me thats no small feat! I ordered My Tembo! Now the wait begins.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13355 on: April 09, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
I have changed my mind on reverse handled Hill style bows.

Thanks to Brian for posting those pictures of Howard Hill shooting the reverse handle bows. He looked so natural and confident that it was partially imparted to me I guess,

My 1st shot at 30 yds with JD Berry's personal bow (Morningstar, 66" and 46@28)

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13356 on: April 09, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Thanks Ralph. I was hoping someone had reproduced some to look like his and had newer clear and close-up pics. I looked at some old films and it's kinda hard to see them, but, I have seen recent pics ( i.e. modern) that show some detail.

Cody R posted pics of this one on another site. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13357 on: April 09, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Howard looks pretty good up there, considering it is 3 years before his passing...   Nice bows.

« Reply #13358 on: April 09, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Those Stotler nocks give great arrow flight, but I have trouble handling them when hunting. I notice that head has the back guards ground off or it is a very old head.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13359 on: April 10, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
After a very long wait my Expedition "No Es Facil" has arrived. And it just so happens the arrows I ordered for it also arrived at the same time. Will post pics as soon as I get out of here (work).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©