3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134723 times)

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13460 on: April 28, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:
Question, What do call it when some one shoots two turkey threw the head?

answer: A double header!  

What are we going to call Nick if he shoots another Gobbler threw the head?  

answer:???????

A)    Two Time Nick    
        B)     Double Header Nick            
        C)    Dead Eye Nick                

Best of luck on your second bird Dead Eye Nick.    :thumbsup:  
Geez,David,nothing like putting the pressure on me!  :p  LOL! But if I get another strutter in,I'll be going for a head shot for sure. The head and neck are about the same size as the vitals. Best thing about the head shot is if you miss high or left to right you get no harm,no "fowl" (<  :D  ) If you hit low you're still in the goodies.Unless they're strutting,their head just never seems to stop moving long enough for a shot.
I had 2 nice Toms,about the size of the one I shot,in my decoys yesterday but passed on them. I could see Gobblezilla in the hay lot about 60 yards behind me.The other Toms left and I pulled him up the hill about a half dozen times,but he kept going back to his hens.He never came far enough around the hedgerow to see my dekes. I'm going to move my blind down to the corner of both lots and hope to get him in. He's a big bird.The two gobblers I let walk went over the hill and out of sight.15 minutes later I heard a shotgun blast.Found out later that he missed the bird.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13461 on: April 28, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by toddster:
Headshot on turkey with longbow, wow awesome job.  Was you aiming at the tail feathers, lol, just kidding.  Seriously awesome job, definatley mount that one.
Thanks.You can't ask for a much better target to concentrate on than that glowing white and blue head. I've got the fan,beard and legs drying now. I'm going to make a holder with a picture frame on it for them and put a pic of my daughter holding the bird in it. If I get lucky and get the bird I saw yesterday,I'll get a 1/2 mount done for sure.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13462 on: April 28, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
Wow.  Nice bird.  Blind involved?
Thanks, Yes,a Big Mike blind.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13463 on: April 28, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Great bird Nick!

I keep reading more and more of this monstrous thread.

Been shooting that NM Classic I got for a couple or three months now......AND......my second Hill style bow is on its way!  It is a NM Shelton with osage riser and 4 lams of red elm.

These bows are addictive!  Finally got around to putting an SBD 8 strand on my Classic...Whoa!  Didn't know a bow could be this quiet!
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13464 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I just got a new Wallace Mountain longbow from Dave Wallace tonight. This bow is a work of art. The limbs are bamboo with a snake wood handle. The tip overlays are from a kudu I shot and are beautiful. I've been trying to upload a picture of it and I'm not doing very well. I'll give it another shot.

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13465 on: April 29, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13466 on: April 29, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13467 on: April 29, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
Bill, another Wallace Mountain beauty!  I haven't seen better craftsmanship anywhere.  Dave's finish work is absolutely flawless.  Enjoy that bow! Maybe take it in the pig woods next time at Hoppy's--unless it's too pretty.   :biglaugh:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13468 on: April 29, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
I'll try to take some more pictures tomorrow. I shot this bow out to 35 yards tonight and it hit the same as my Rick Welch recurve. I shot some really good groups at 20 yards with it. As good as I've ever shot. I plan on shooting a lot of critters with this bow.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13469 on: April 29, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Nice one from Wallace Mtn!

Enjoy!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13470 on: April 29, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Sorry Nick, didn't mean to put any pressure on ya. I know you can handle it anyway.LOL  Best of luck on Gobzilla, I'm rooting for ya.I plan on hunting first morning with Blackwood out of my ground blind. Birds are more scarce the past few years, but I only need one or two birds anyway. LOL Looks like Iv' got a bird or two working the top of my hill, so I'm more than happy to be able to hunt them on my own land. God bless
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13471 on: April 30, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »
The Wallace MOuntain I had was absolutely fantastic. And Dave is correct, his finish work is better than any I have ever seen before. It is uncanny how crystal clear he can get them. Mine also had the Narrowest grip of any bow ever I had laid my hands on. 1/2" at it's widest and about 1/4" wide where it contacted the palm, 2 1/4" deep and 4 1/8" long. Absolutely stunning bows. I only got rid of it because I do not like bamboo as a limb wood. I can feel the difference in boo vs red elm or maple so I let it go.
If that bow would have had red elm limbs it would have had a permanent home with me.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13472 on: April 30, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Brian, I have one that has red elm core and it is not only beautiful but great shooting.  I have real fondness for red elm as a limb core--very fine performing wood in a longbow.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13473 on: April 30, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
No problem David,I thrive under pressure!   "[dntthnk]"    :rolleyes:    :D  
Good luck,I can't wait to see a pic of Blackwood laid across a big ol' gobbler!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13474 on: April 30, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Funny story...
I was in the back yard playing chase with the kids and in between chases if grab the Vixen and shoot a couple arrows.  The vixen is one of those bows for me that just always shoots well, I mean there is never an off day with it.  My Morningstar I'm still learning but the vixen is the "holy grail" of bows to me.
   Well I got new neighbors last weekend and they are big into hunting. They shoot compounds and guns but I always welcome a fellow hunter. My neighbors brother comes walking over and says," oh so you shoot recurves huh!" and I reply that it's actually a longbow but yes I shoot stickbows.  

We get to talking about hunting, gun dogs, tracking yada yada and he asks why I shoot a longbow. I go on to tell him it's just alot more fun for me and its what I like to do. I tell him how it reminds me of the pure joy of shooting as a child and about stump shooting and that most wouldn't do that with a compound due to arrow breakage yada yada. Just then I saw this little size 1 rubber soccer ball I like to shoot buried in the bushes at about 33 yds and I said you see that ball, imagine its a rabbit, I then draw , hit anchor and release and send an arrow right thru the center of it. His eyes got wide and he mentioned he didn't know you could be that accurate with a "recurve" so I picked a dandelion at about 15 yds and hit 1/2" to the left of it. Then I had him throw the soccer ball for me, and I hit it two out of 3 time and only barely missed the third one.
Needless to say it was a very fun day, and he is going to come by Saturday and I'm going to let him shoot my 32lb semi-curve. He wants to give it a try!!!!!

Maybe we will add another to the ranks

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13475 on: April 30, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Good on ya Brian.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13476 on: May 02, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
Way to go Brian!  I'll bet he's a changed man come Saturday evening!
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13477 on: May 02, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Great story Brian.
There are two types of people in this world - Those that love longbows and those who just haven't tried them yet.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13478 on: May 02, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
I only shoot woodies out of my Hill style bows and I just got some beauties from David at Wilderness custom arrows.Man,he does great work!
Time to glue on some Snuffers and get back out after gobblers on Saturday morning.   :D  

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13479 on: May 02, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
I love the gray shafts!!! AWSOME

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©