3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134539 times)

Offline Andre.C

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13640 on: May 28, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »
Hi guys! I came across this Howard Hill-style old bow. I would like to learn more about it, perhaps you could take a look and tell me what you think? Can I post a couple of pics of it here for you? I am just starting out into longbows, after having a recurve. And I figured I absolutely had to get myself a HH bow, after seeing this 1000 page thread...
Thanks
Andrei

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13641 on: May 28, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
Andre welcome to the addiction!

If you will peruse through this "Hill/Hill style" bow thread I think you'll find that we all love seeing those bows, so "go for it"!!!

Thanks for letting us know that you're here.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Andre.C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13642 on: May 28, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
Hi Mudd, thanks a lot for the welcome! I am very excited to try this bow, it is on its way to me. I hope you guys can tell me about it. It is 69 and a half " long, 50# at 28"... Here is a link to the pictures, wasn't sure how to post them directly. in advance, thank you!! Cannot wait to shoot it.
 https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A75oqs3qGVyiY3

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13643 on: May 28, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Greg got his new JD Berry Vixen in from James.  He said he had James leave the old wrap off and he had some special leather for it......it looks fantastic!!

Old wrap

New Ostritch wrap

JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13644 on: May 28, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
And Nick, your collection is always impressive!!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13645 on: May 28, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by John McCreary:
Help me out here please. I recently sent my 12 year old Wesly Special to Craig at HHA to refinish her and install new antler limb tips. Why I didn't do that originally...I don't know. When I received the bow back I was very impressed. I have a high opinion of Craig and his work but this one exceeded my expectations. The bow originally was 54@30" when it came hone it was marked 46@29" which would put it at 49@30". Ok I figured adding the antler to the tips would drop poundage. So here is the problem, if you will. In trying different spine arrows65-70 lb 29_1/2" to BOP 11/32 cedar shafts with 160 gr field points are giving me the best arrow flight. The issue is I am pulling these 30_1/2"      :dunno:    ! So I'm pulling less weight and going up in spine, Real confusing...any thoughts?

John

PS: if I can figure out how to post pics I will share. She is a pretty little thing with that dark cocobolo riser, elk antler tips and those sexy long black limbs...
My guess is you may be drawing farther?? Sometimes less weight allows a more extended draw so when actually shooting, you may be drawing more fully... Drawing for a draw length and shooting usually gives different results.  Just a guess.  Did the bow get narrowed up at all? Any other changes besides the weight and tips? FF string change??

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13646 on: May 28, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Hey Matt
Can we get some more pics of that new reverse handle you built? Eager minds want to see

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13647 on: May 28, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
Hey David, I know the feeling.I missed a nice bird last year.I hit my top limb on a branch and my arrow went sailing off to the side. Our season was weird this year too. I've never seen the Toms stay henned up so long.It was tough calling them away from them. I should have shot another bird,but was waiting for a real big bird I could see to come in.I waited too long and they both left.Last few days were wash outs too and the birds moved off my property to shorter grass lots.Oh well,I'm sure we'll both be back at them next year.   :thumbsup:  

As for the 64" bow,I like it alot. It's probably the fastest Hill style that I've shot around that weight,56#. At our short draws,I'm 26.5",I don't think the bow length matters all that much.Honestly,I don't see an inch or two on each end of a bow making all that much difference on a Hill bow that's 66"+ to anyone with a 28" draw or under. I can see the guys with the monster 29-30+" draws feeling a noticable  difference though.I know later on in his career,John Shulz liked the shorter Bows himself,64,65".

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13648 on: May 28, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
And Nick, your collection is always impressive!!
Thanks Brian.Those are all Timberlines in the pic. I'd sell/trade any of my other bows towards another Timberline.
I have a few more nice bows from other bowyers. I should have had a Dave Johnson this week,but some how USPS managed to lose my priorty mail letter and money order! I hope it's not too big of a pain in the @$$ to straighten it out,I can't wait to try the DJ out.Heard nothing but good about his bows.

Your buddy needs a set of cowboy boots to go with that handle wrap,that looks pretty cool.  :D

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13649 on: May 28, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Hey Goshawkin,

I got a pair of cowboy boots but they don't match the handle wrap.lol
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13650 on: May 28, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by soap creek:
Hey Goshawkin,

I got a pair of cowboy boots but they don't match the handle wrap.lol
LOL! If you can find me a chunk of rattlesnake,lizard or elephant skin for a handle wrap,I got boots that will match.  :D

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13651 on: May 28, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Goshawkin, how many models of longbows did Pete George make? I am just curious? Thanks, Ron.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13652 on: May 28, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Hi Ron, I'm not sure.All I can tell you is what I have. 2 "The Safari" both are bamboo limbs. 2 "The Highlander" both are yew limbs. "BamYew" bamboo and yew limbs."YewBet" Yew limbs and riser
"The White Mountain" bamboo,glass on the back only.
Others I know of are "The Summit"(fancy,with riser and tip overlays) bamboo limbs and "White Eagle" bamboo and no glass.I tried to buy both of them and still hoping to one of these days.
I kow that the White Mountain and White Eagle are one of only a couple built like they are.
From what I've seen the Safaris are bamboo and the Highlanders are yew.
Sorry I can't be anymore help Ron,I'd be interested in hearing about any other models myself.

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13653 on: May 29, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Look what the post office dropped at my door...

I wonder what this could be?  More pictures and info to follow.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13654 on: May 29, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
I've seen those tubes before.....

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13655 on: May 29, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
It couldn't possibly be a miller.  Nope , probably a fishing pole

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13656 on: May 29, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
Shulz,Miller,Shulz,Miller,Shulz.... Just open it already!   :goldtooth:  
Either one will be awesome.

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13657 on: May 29, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
Nick I have a Timberline longbow that's marked "Midas" on the bottom limb and Timberline longbows on the top limb and its 66" long and has 3 lams of yew with brown glass on the belly and clear glass on the face. Its 52lbs at 26" and is very quick. It has a locator grip with is not my favorite but I shoot it well. Really too bad he quit making bows all his models seem to be very well made. Ron.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13658 on: May 29, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Hi Ron, Cool,never seen one before. Yep,I wish he was still building them,I'd love to have one (or 6!  :D  ) made exactly how I want it. I have one with a locator grip,not my favorite either.It's pretty shallow,so it's not that bad.
Post some pics if you get a chance,I'd like to see it. Nick

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13659 on: May 29, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
Nick sent you a PM. Ron.

Users currently browsing this topic:

ehartunian and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©