3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134485 times)

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13660 on: May 29, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Here is a sample of what was in the tube:

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13661 on: May 29, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Joe congratulations, that's a beauty it looks to be a Miller Old Tom and that will be one smooth shooting longbow. I have an early 66"er myself with the cougar inset and its a great shooting bow. David is a true master of the American Semi Longbow.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13662 on: May 30, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »
Joe, Very nice!

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13663 on: May 30, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
All you guys using FF strings, what sort do you use? 10-12 strand w/ B-50 padding on the string loops? I've always used B-50 and considering the change. My Wesley is 46@29" but I pull it 30-1/2".

John
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13664 on: May 30, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
I've been shooting Hill bows with either Dacron or skinny 450+, or skinny FF.  Dacron is just plain smooth and whisper quiet, the skinny strings add FPS and are still really quiet. These bows shouldn't make a sound really.  I tend to use the 450+ 6 strand with padded loops, I make my strings so I play with them a bit. When I'm building the bows I use Dacron, I can't deny how nice Dacron feels, but like the added performance as I generally shoot lighter draw weight bows, about 53# and under.

Some folks have found if they experience hand shock with Dacron, FF types of skinny strings help reduce it.  I'm of the opinion that something is wrong with the shooters form or bow design, or arrow weight if there is handshock of any appreciable amount with Hill style bows.

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13665 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Thanks guys, this is one of Dave Miller's Expeditions, 65# @ 27", 68" long:

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13666 on: May 30, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Every time I look at this thread I see another bow I'd like to have...must stop.....   :knothead:

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13667 on: May 30, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
My Bama Classic Elite on the right (courtesy of Greaseman), and a new to me Jerry Hill Wildcat SN 815 courtesy yesterday of Kestimator.  Can't wait for my Half Breed to get here....but at least I've got these two.

Gotta peel off the leather "over grip" to see if that's a nice looking piece of Elk underneath on the Jerry Hill grip.

I'm havin' way too much fun.        :help:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13668 on: May 30, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
That is my old Jerry Hill wild cat. Absolutely fantastic shooter. The shelve is cut like no other I have seen and just rockets an arrow.  
Only TWO lams in that bow too
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13669 on: May 30, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Rob, Ive got both the Wildcat and Half Breed, you will in no way be disappointed with either.
I havent had the pleasure of shooting a Bama Classic yet, but I will!
Very nice!

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13670 on: May 30, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
That Wildcat looks sweet!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13671 on: May 30, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Yes, the Wildcat's a great shooter.  I was intrigued by the channeled shelf as well.  I shoot 3U and this bow is tillered almost dead even....only 1/64" positive actually, so it shoots pretty quiet 3U.....and I'm diggin' it!

Brian - I'm interested in whatever history you can provide of this bow.  Was the over wrapped grip something that you did, or did it come to you that way, and when did you happen to own it? Any idea of the year it was built?  

Moleman - this Classic has a very narrow grip, and I'm wanting to add some leather on the sides, then over wrap that, but am hesitating for some reason.  This bow is 3 lams of Yew and sends a 13gpp arrow downrange on a very flat trajectory....I've had R/D bows that didn't shoot as flat.
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13672 on: May 30, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Rob,

I do not know the whole history of the bow. I picked it up from *****bay a year ago. The seller had stated he was the original owner and hunted it alot, but had dropped weight.  He had the now made with the locator fro jerry and he is the one who double wrapped the grip to make it larger. That Hil is amazingly accurate bad very very comfortable to shoot.  The year I am not sure of.  
I owned it for a few months but after I recieved my First JD Berry I knew my search for the "perfect" bow was over and honestly sold every other Hill style bow I owned, and I will tell you it was hard to let that one go, BUT I got it at a good price so I sold it at a good price hoping someone interested in shooting a Hill style would pick it up and become afflicted with the bug as so many of us had.  
Sorry I couldn't help you any more.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13673 on: May 30, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Thanks Brian...I'm thinking this bow was made probably early 80's judging by the S/N....but I'm hoping someone may know more than my WAG.  Interesting that you were only the second owner, and yep I believe I'm gonna have to take a look underneath that grip.  Lol.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13674 on: May 30, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Rob,

I'm so glad that you are enjoying the JH!  She was very smooth and easy to shoot accurately...but as you and several of my other archery friends know....I suffer from trade-itus and am always trying different types of bows and have to sell some to feed the fever LOL!!  I'm sure the wind will change directions and have me buying another Hill style on down the road.  I've only come back to the Hill style about six different times in my short bow shooting "career"  :)  LOL!!!

BTW...awesome photos!!  Your Bama is sweet looking too!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13675 on: May 31, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »
So, as soon as I had gotten some work stuff out of the way this morning, I grabbed the Jerry Hill and an Exacto knife to remove the well worn outer grip.  Turned out it was double wrapped, and laced back into the original grip lacing at its' start, again where it went over the original lacing at the conclusion of the first wrap, and then again at the end of the second wrap.  Here's the reveal:

I'm much happier with the grip size now, and the original leather certainly enhanced the riser wood and limb lams.  Happy, Happy.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13676 on: May 31, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
You photos were removed, I'd like to see the Newley remoded JH, please repost

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13677 on: May 31, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
You photos were removed, I'd like to see the Newley remoded JH, please repost
You may already know this but the photos weren't touched by the admins... it's something you did..maybe moved them to another album after posting.

I know I've done that myself before...lol

While it sucks, it is easily remedied.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13678 on: May 31, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
I've been shooting Hill bows with either Dacron or skinny 450+, or skinny FF.  Dacron is just plain smooth and whisper quiet, the skinny strings add FPS and are still really quiet. These bows shouldn't make a sound really.  I tend to use the 450+ 6 strand with padded loops, I make my strings so I play with them a bit. When I'm building the bows I use Dacron, I can't deny how nice Dacron feels, but like the added performance as I generally shoot lighter draw weight bows, about 53# and under.

When using "skinny Strings" do find a need to go up in arrow spine? I don't like to use string silencers, necessary with 450+?

J-Mac

Some folks have found if they experience hand shock with Dacron, FF types of skinny strings help reduce it.  I'm of the opinion that something is wrong with the shooters form or bow design, or arrow weight if there is handshock of any appreciable amount with Hill style bows.
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13679 on: May 31, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
I don't use silencers at all anymore, not even on the skinny 450+, FF, or D 97.  All you can hear is the whoosh of the string, or the arm guard contact at times.  The Dacron is lower pitched a bit, so sometimes I think it's even quieter.  

You will usually go up a spine grouping.

One nice thing about the quiet Hill style bow is when shooting alert animals, they don't really react to the shot noise and bolt,  or lack of noise. I've shot a lot of keyed up Michigan deer and NEVER had one jump the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

ehartunian and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©