3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134486 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13680 on: May 31, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
This is going to be a Hill style bow Shooter poll:  
I'm asking because I shoot 3U , and honestly I shoot it well, good enough to place or win in most local tourney and if I can make it I'm going to shoot my vixen in the IBO worlds and see where I stand in the big scene. I'm no Dave Wallace or Rick welch but I'm very very confident in my shooting........BUT for some dang reason I cannot shake the feeling of wanting to shoot split finger.
It makes no sense because where I hunt shots are no further than 35 yds and I am very consistent to that range, I shoot 3d which is usually no farther than 30, so why do I feel the need to shoot split????

I think it has something to do with why I like a back quiver and flannel. HA. It just seems to fit,

I shoot pretty good split in the backyard range (up to 50 yds) and roving but you out me on a 3D course and I'll skunk it shooting split finger.

SO...... I ask who shoots split and who shoots 3U?
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13681 on: May 31, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Brian, long ago and far away I used to shoot 3U, but there were a few shoots that required you to shoot longbow class split finger, so I switched, best move I ever made.
For me its quieter for hunting and with my facial structure it allows me a more consistent anchor.
Oh ,and I have to agree, on the ,"it just seems to fit". Just my experience and opinion.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13682 on: May 31, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Paul, funny you mention anchor. I feel as if my anchor is more consisten split and natural where as my 3U anchor is "forced" but repeatable

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13683 on: May 31, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Split here, that's just how I started shooting in another century   :rolleyes:  Nothing else feels right after umpteen years of doing it that way.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13684 on: May 31, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
I have to agree with David, after umpteem yrs of split, nothing else feels right.
I still play with 3U once in a rare while, but it is soon evident that I could easily earn the name
" Backhoe" as all I do is excavate dirt with my shafts.   :biglaugh:

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13685 on: May 31, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
My new Dave Johnson is in the mail   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  I should get it tomorrow,This is my first american semi longbow.Just reading over 200 of the many pages on this thread I GOT BITTEN by the bug real bad.when I heard Dave was building some bows I got in.So she is 66inches,50@28 string follow,Thanks for the tip on string follow(Mudd)  I call her "SWEET66" My son will teach me to post pic"s(so he says), Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13686 on: May 31, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Outstanding!!!!! Can't wait to see pics

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13687 on: May 31, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
X3

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13688 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
I started out shooting split, for many years.  I didn't even know 3U was an option until reading on the Internet.  One day I tried it and will never go back to split.  It just works.  Distance is not an issue.  With a HH style bow, shooting with a cant, you have plenty field of view.

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13689 on: May 31, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
I also shoot split finger.  I tried 3U a little when I was first starting out but just didn't like the feel.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13690 on: May 31, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Sorry, but I hate everything about 3 under, why not 4 under, or sights on your arrows. Sorry, I just had to get that out.    :o            

If you like it there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.Just not for me.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13691 on: June 01, 2013, 05:04:00 AM »
Split only here, never have been able to get used to the feel or noise of three under.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13692 on: June 01, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »
Sorry about the broken link to the pics.....just changed the folder name.  Links restored.

Recently converted to 3U.  More consistent with the elevation of my shots, and will most likely stick with it.  On the Hill bows the added noise isn't much, and it's only apparent to the shooter....folks around me tell me how quiet the bow is.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13693 on: June 01, 2013, 05:51:00 AM »
Split here also.I guess mainly for nostalgia,it's the way Howard shot.For me,three under,gun barreling,upright target stance,locator grips,aluminum/carbon arrows,etc.....just don't go with Hill style bows.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13694 on: June 01, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Split for me - I experimented with 3U and I didn't like how it made the bow feel at release and I lost some draw length ( I need all I can get) so went back to split very quickly. I could see how it has the potential to improve accuracy though....
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13695 on: June 01, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
I shoot split because that is how I started. I experimented with 3 under but I didn't like it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13696 on: June 01, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
I shot two fingers split from when I was a kid. Three fingers felt funny. Reading on TG about three under I tried two under. It worked. But I truly wanted to shoot "Hill" style and forced myself to go three split. After a short learning curve I can't see going back to shooting under. It now feels just plain natural.

James Berry - What's your wait time now????
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13697 on: June 01, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Gentleman, thanks for everyone's answers so far.  I expected as much with the nod going to split. Just getting a feel of everyone's preferences.

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13698 on: June 01, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
I shot split when I started on a compound in the days before releases were common. Switched to trad split then shot 2 under and 3 under. Last winter I was thinking about the swing draw method of shooting and dug out my old tape by John Shulz "Hitting Them Like Howard Hill". I was shooting consistently high for a while and did a lot of blank bale shooting at  10 ft. in the basement. All but 1 of my bows are tillered for split and they just shoot better without the artificially high nocking point I needed for 3 under. When my form is good I don't miss by much.
NFetscher

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13699 on: June 01, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Goshawkin:
Split here also.I guess mainly for nostalgia,it's the way Howard shot.For me,three under,gun barreling,upright target stance,locator grips,aluminum/carbon arrows,etc.....just don't go with Hill style bows.
I hear ya on having fun with the nostalgia thing  :)  
However....didn't Howard say something about "not being married to something so much....that it would keep you from changing if you found a better way"....
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

ehartunian and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©