3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134389 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13720 on: June 02, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
Seems I won the Osage Custom on the St. Judes auction, 69" 69 @ 28 all Osage w/clear glass, I cant wait to get my paws on it!
If the old girl shoots as good as she looks, there may be some changes in the rankings around here!    :goldtooth:

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13721 on: June 02, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Paul, I am a huge fan of one offs myself. I just couldn't hang with you this year!!!!!!!!! We just got back from vacation otherwise you would have had to dig into the savings account! Good win Paul
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13722 on: June 02, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:
Wow Nick, that looks outstanding, need to see a full pic or two. Congrats on another nice one.    :thumbsup:  
David,Here's a full pic of the bow,sorry best I could do with the phone.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13723 on: June 02, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Beautiful Goshawkin!!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13724 on: June 03, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
On my recent trip to HHA (see post), I asked Craig if he would do a limited edition TG bow if there was interest. He is up for the idea if there would be enough takers. Craig was a lot of fun to talk to, and if you ever get to Hamilton, it is well worth stopping in and visiting.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13725 on: June 03, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
I am up to for a special edition bow for us, wink.  I regret not going to hamilton and visisting when I drove out to yellowstone.  Perhaps another adventure is in order.

Offline DarrenAltizer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13726 on: June 03, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
After shooting recurves and reflex longbows most of my archery life, I ready to catch the bug and get my first HIll style bow.
My question, which I know can be subjective to each person, is where should I get my first one from? Straight from HHA, or from another builder?
All your suggestions will be helpful cause I am always looking for information on good bowyers.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13727 on: June 03, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
HHA is certainly a good choice, but there are lots of others. Steve Turay and David Miller immediately come to mind. HHA has a much quicker turnaround, if you are looking to get a new, made for you, bow in a month or so. The others will take quite a while longer to get you shooting.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13728 on: June 03, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Centaur is right on. I will say, and it's no secret I love JD Berrys, that I do not believe there are finer American longbows made than the Berry Vixen, Morningstar and Misty Dawn.  Do some shopping around, call each bower and look at some pics.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13729 on: June 03, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by DarrenAltizer:

My question, which I know can be subjective to each person, is where should I get my first one from?  
I'd go with the classifieds on here.Some really good deals on some great bows. It'll be easier on your wallet too if you don't like the bow.Probably be able to sell it for what you paid and try another.When you find a bow you really like,you can have that bowyer build one right to your specs if you want.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13730 on: June 03, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
For a first Hill Id definitely buy used and try a Hill bow first.  Also, shoot it for at least a while before you judge how you like the style, days or a couple weeks isn't enough IMHO.  Some guys are quick to judge that they dislike Hill bows before really learning the basics on grip/ form/ thump.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline DarrenAltizer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13731 on: June 03, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Thanks alot guys for the help! I really appreciate the feedback. Probably will head over to the classifieds.

Offline Bowboy_AR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13732 on: June 03, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
So I think I'm pretty close to ordering a custom Hill from HHA (my first custom).  I acquired second hand a very nice Cheetah a few months back and just love it (posted pics here).  Just HAVE to have another one!  Would love any input on my choices, good or bad:

Tembo with caramelized bamboo lams, myrtle riser with straight grip, brown glass back and clear belly.  That much I'm fairly set on.  I would like to have the visible fades on the riser - was wondering if there's any negatives to this because it SURE looks NICE!  

I'm back and forth on length and stringfollow or backset... I draw about 25.5" with my 68" Cheetah.  At times I think 64" with stringfollow... next day, I'm at 66" with backset... and all other combinations of those choices.     :knothead:    It's probably 6 with one and half-dozen with the other and I just need to shut up and order the bow.  Any input though?  Thanks!  Love this thread!  :thumbsup:

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13733 on: June 03, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Bow,
First off GREAT CHOICES.  I LOVE colored on back , clear on belly. My favorite is brown back/clear belly. Loving your choices! With that draw you can get away with alot in the short range. Personally I would ask Craig his suggestion because he knows his models better than anyone. The Tembos rock.  I have a VERY similar bow on order now with James at JD Berry.

Offline Bowboy_AR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13734 on: June 05, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the input, Brian! I like clear glass a lot on the belly too and really think the brown glass on the back is a nice classic look!

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13735 on: June 05, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
25 inch draw I'd vote for 64" or 66"
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

« Reply #13736 on: June 06, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
If 25.5" is your max draw, mine is 26 plus a bit, and your release is crisp, as in you don't lose any of your draw in the act of releasing, a 66" that is very lean to the tips will shoot fine.  However, a 64" with backset and fast flight ready on a standard grip or a 62" reverse handle that is mean and lean will give a bit more cast.  The advantage of the reverse that is fast in the tips is you can get a soft in the hand bow that is still stable.  I would bet that you would like a standard 64" with a straight grip the best, make sure that the grip is the right size for your hand.

« Reply #13737 on: June 06, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Yesterday, I took my fast flight string off of my yew and put the Dacron back on it, to allow me to shoot a lower spined shaft.  At first I noticed some increased thump, but within a couple dozen shots, the thump disappeared and the groups got really tight.  I proved to myself that we have the ability to meld with the bow.  And once again my wife chewed my butt for trashing arrows.  She pointed to my stash of a hundred or so arrows that need repairs and said 'when you get this all fixed up and get it done for less than $100 then you can think about a new bow.' How could I let that arrow repair thing get away from me this bad?

Offline Scrub_buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13738 on: June 06, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
PLEASE do NOT post ads anywhere but within the classifieds forum.    :readit:  

thank you.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13739 on: June 06, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Nice Schulz in the classifieds righties!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

ehartunian and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©