3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134300 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13840 on: June 17, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nate Steen .:
.....Less is more....or like Hill said "too much thinking over a shot is bad"
I just read that part in his book this morning. I have to say I absolutely agree.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13841 on: June 17, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
It seems to me that we begin to lose some of the fluidity when shooting with a group at the 3-D ranges but shooting alone or during the hunt all happens as it should.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13842 on: June 17, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Bummed out here,been in the hospital since Friday,had emergency surgury and just got home today. I won't be shooting for a little while,but glad I got alot of catching up to do on this thread!
I skimmed through what I've missed quick and thought "Great! Nate's posting on here again!" Then I thought about it and realized if he's typing,he's not building bows!!! Gonna take that much longer for my name to come up on the list!
  :eek:    :D

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13843 on: June 17, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Howard did, and explained a lot of things that he glossed over with a non-descript explanation or with little emphasis that were vitally important to his style.  Schultz vid helped, but really a shooting coach would have been a great thing.  

Howard had it all figured out.  Problem is, we all struggle with different aspects, or lack some of the fundamentals to own his style. If we didn't, there'd be a bunch of Howard's running around shooting Asprin out of the air.  I sure wish I was taught the right way the first time! I'm thankful for the time I spend discussing the aspects of Hill form with one of the most well read archers I've met with similar challenges.

I always have fun, but I'm always looking for perfection in myself and I'm quite competitive.  Probably why I have TP.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13844 on: June 17, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by beaver#1:
Got my jungle cat in the mail today.  Strung it up and first shot at 12 yards( which is about the shooting distance at all my blinds) and it was a dead bullseye. Sure am glad I got it.
:thumbsup:  
It's a beauty for sure. Now you have to get some leopardwood arrows for it.  ;)

« Reply #13845 on: June 18, 2013, 04:24:00 AM »
Overspine you asked what bow weights I shoot. These days I spend a good deal of time shooting 52 pound bows, a 55 pound yew/glass, a 58 pound yew/bamboo (my favorite), a 60 pound lefty and I am back doing some shooting with my 64 pound Schulz bows. The extra heavy days are behind me. I still work out drawing the two 64 pound Schulz bows at the same time with both hands. I have to be careful to stay off of my first joints when I do that.  I have been getting some stiff finger problems lately and I had the bottom joint of my middle finger develop a hyper extension that took a long time to heal. None of which is the best thing for a classical guitarist.  I have to watch how much right hand shooting I do. If I go stump shooting there is a bit of time between shots and I suffer no ill effects. I reserve my 5 hour shooting binges for just left hand shooting now. Once Schulz said that it was impossible to shoot a thousand arrows a day, there were some talking about it back in the day.  I made it with an 80 something big 5. The first couple of hours at the tempo I was going I thought that I could get it done in five hours. I used two large targets 18 yards apart and two dozen arrows. It took 14 hours and I do not think the last arrows were getting back to full draw, man was I hurting for a few days after that. I would not recommend trying it.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13846 on: June 18, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I have always said.."It ain't rocket science"! but there are days my shooting says it might as well be...lol

Not being a detail oriented type when shooting in the yard I don't always seem to notice if an arrow is missing a feather or has a small bend in it.
Almost all of the arrows in "the bucket" are different from one another and yet most find their mark. Yep, it ain't rocket science...lol

For me...and I only speak for myself.. it's really all about a stroll through "Sherwood".

God bless,Mudd

PS: Chances are if you come shoot with me at some point you will be asked to put away the good arrows and shoot "out of the bucket".

PSS: My hunting equipment preparation and the attention I give to it's detail is a totally different story.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13847 on: June 18, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
PS: Chances are if you come shoot with me at some point you will be asked to put away the good arrows and shoot "out of the bucket".

Or to get off the Bass Pro parking lot!   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13848 on: June 18, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
The extra heavy days are behind me. I still work out drawing the two 64 pound Schulz bows at the same time with both hands. I have to be careful to stay off of my first joints when I do that.  I have been getting some stiff finger problems lately and I had the bottom joint of my middle finger develop a hyper extension that took a long time to heal. None of which is the best thing for a classical guitarist.  I have to watch how much right hand shooting I do.
pavan:
There would be a lot of younger guys, willing and able, to honor your Schulz bows, that are not good for your health!
Even over here in Germany!    :bigsmyl:    :goldtooth:
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13849 on: June 18, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nate Steen .:
And they wear a long time and are quiet w/out silencers.  
I'm wanting to learn to make my own strings for my Hill.  I got some B55 because it's cheeper.... blah blah blah... Does a 3 bundle 15 strands sound ok with a 65@30"? Should I go thinker?  I'd like to not have to use silancers. Also, should I make my string short to make up for the stretch?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13850 on: June 18, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
I use a 3 bundle 15 strand B50 for my 63 pound Hill with no problems.  I just pre-stretch the string overnight with a 35 pound dumbell to reduce intitial stretch and twist up as needed.  Do yourself a favor and make the string loops as small as you can get them to ride down the limb when unstrung.  For some reason my bow got a LOT quieter when I made the string loops small.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13851 on: June 18, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Charlie I think they should've had customers come out and see how a pro shoots..

I couldn't taken pictures of you giving them  great demo.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13852 on: June 18, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:
I use a 3 bundle 15 strand B50 for my 63 pound Hill with no problems.  I just pre-stretch the string overnight with a 35 pound dumbell to reduce intitial stretch and twist up as needed.  Do yourself a favor and make the string loops as small as you can get them to ride down the limb when unstrung.  For some reason my bow got a LOT quieter when I made the string loops small.
small loops. got it   :thumbsup:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13853 on: June 18, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
"I am setting up a lighter weight hill style rig to shoot IFAA which is 112 arrows from 5 - 80 metres ... 4 arrows an end ... so I am developing my gaps ... Hill style against all them uber heavy risered "stealth" D bows ... heck yeah ..........."

Good for you Ben.  I enjoy roving and shooting 3-D's with the guys but nothing separates the men from the boys like a good old fashioned field round.  Anyone can get lucky and drop that one arrow in there at 25-30 yards.  To be able to make four consecutive shots at distance from 20 feet out to 80 yards takes another level of skill.  I am lucky in that I live about ten minutes from my club, Sherwood Archers, which has two 28 target field courses.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13854 on: June 18, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
I enjoy shooting my ILF Titans, and have several Bear takedowns that are a joy to shoot as well.  But, like a lot of you guys, there is just something special about shooting a "D" longbow.  I have hunted exclusively with Howard Hills or Whippenstick Classics for the past two years and shot about 15 deer with heavy Douglas Fir arrows.  It is funny, I shoot carbon off of my Titans, aluminum off of my Bears and wood off of my longbows. I make all of my own arrows, carbon, aluminum and wood and for me there is only one broadhead to have on the front end of my arrow... a snuffer.

I shoot a longbow a little different than most I guess, as I came up through the ranks shooting F.I.T.A. 35 years ago.  I shoot all of my bows with pretty much the same style...fairly upright, split finger with a tab, and I hold for several seconds at full draw while I build up back tension and pull through the shot.

I generally hunt with a bow quiver, even a Thunder Horn small fry on my longbow.  I just like the convienence.  I make, use and sell back quivers and that is all I use for targets, roving and chasing small game around.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13855 on: June 18, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
uh-oh Randall....you just blasphemed the Hill crowd admitting you put a quiver on your bow...    :bigsmyl:  

Seriously though, I like the looks of a naked bow, especially a longbow...When I switched over to the Hill style bow, I put a bow quiver on it. It helped me 'transition' to the lighter physical weight of my Northern Mist Classic...After a month or so I took the quiver off and quickly came to prefer the bow without it...

However, if you like the bow quiver there's not a thing wrong with that...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13856 on: June 18, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
I also like the looks of a naked bow, but I also like the looks of a snuffer on the end of my arrows.  Snuffers and back quivers don't mix too well.  I have tried some of the side stalker types of quivers but they just get in my way.  I hunt thick, steep terrain.

My youngest son also hunts with a longbow and he has taken to just strapping a Kwikee Kwuiver on the outside of his back pack.  Works pretty well for him.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13857 on: June 18, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
just now subscribing to this thread. looks like i have a lot of reading to do.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13858 on: June 18, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Twofor and Blaino....

Steve Schulz taught me many years ago to make the my strings with really small loops to make them more quiet.  It was his dad's and Hill's teaching.....worked well for me for over 20 years.  I make them actually really tight, barely sliding down the limb until the string stretches a little, and the loops stretch a little too.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13859 on: June 18, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Going fast with bamboo and glass. Now to just get rid of that 10 strand fast flight twang. 14 strands of nicely twisted dacron, 4fps gone, but most animals won't be at the shot. Trade offs trade offs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©