3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134228 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13860 on: June 18, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Glad to see this thread back on track talking more technical stuff about Hill bows.
    :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13861 on: June 18, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
When I first tried my hand at making strings James at JD Berry told me to make my loops small, as you all are saying and that as the string stretches it will fit over the bow to slide down.

It's odd how such a small detail can make such a difference, I pretty much have to force my bottom loop on the first time.

Good tips y'all

And in other exciting news, after 4 years of trying I got a job offer back home in KY so I am moving from the big city (st. Louis) and heading back to the country!!!
I'll be looking for fellow trad archers in western KY
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13862 on: June 18, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Charlie Lamb: "Glad to see this thread back on track talking more technical stuff about Hill bows."     :archer2:    

Thems just details Charlie...lol and everyone knows I'm not a detailed oriented kind of guy...lol

OOOOPPPPSSSS!!! Wait a cotton pickin second here... it ain't all about me, is it...lol

God bless,Mudd

PS: To each his own, whatever puts the wind in your sails.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13863 on: June 18, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
My Miller bows have all come with loops that 'barely fit' - same detail for the two used Schulz's..... Must be something in that.

Congrats on the new job Brian!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13864 on: June 18, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by R.V.T.B.:
I enjoy shooting my ILF Titans, and have several Bear takedowns that are a joy to shoot as well.  But, like a lot of you guys, there is just something special about shooting a "D" longbow.  I have hunted exclusively with Howard Hills or Whippenstick Classics for the past two years and shot about 15 deer with heavy Douglas Fir arrows.  It is funny, I shoot carbon off of my Titans, aluminum off of my Bears and wood off of my longbows. I make all of my own arrows, carbon, aluminum and wood and for me there is only one broadhead to have on the front end of my arrow... a snuffer.

I shoot a longbow a little different than most I guess, as I came up through the ranks shooting F.I.T.A. 35 years ago.  I shoot all of my bows with pretty much the same style...fairly upright, split finger with a tab, and I hold for several seconds at full draw while I build up back tension and pull through the shot.

I generally hunt with a bow quiver, even a Thunder Horn small fry on my longbow.  I just like the convienence.  I make, use and sell back quivers and that is all I use for targets, roving and chasing small game around.
I know the dudes that have shot with you , and going by their description , it doesn't matter what bow you are shooting , you are a fair hand with a bow ...
but as said elsewhere , shooting a good "minute of deer" group with a Hillstyle bow at 30 yards is a great feeling
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13865 on: June 18, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Also , I too am glad that I am not the only one who still enjoys a nice string, well made with a enough strands to let me know I am gripping it  , nothing to skinny either !
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13866 on: June 18, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Howdy fellers, I have a Northern Mist shelton on the way. From what I`ve read on them they are fine bows. Any of you fellers hunt with one ?RC

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13867 on: June 18, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Yep ... as finer bow as there is Robert . You'll dig it for sure ... the local pigs ? Probably not so much.
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13868 on: June 18, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Hey RC. I got a Shelton last fall and really like it. I had slow deer season last year and haven't had a chance to take any game with it but it's a sure nuff shooter.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13869 on: June 19, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Love the tidbit about the small bowstring loops. That's what's great about this thread.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

« Reply #13870 on: June 19, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
I came across a young fellow once with a Schulz built bow at a shoot, looking for a bow string from the vendors.  He was about to try to put a standard endless recurve string on it.  Someone else saw this and yelled "No stop.",  which got my attention.  While his original string was no good, the man stopped him because he was afraid those big loops would pop off the bow. I have always gone as tight as I could, mostly because it is less work when making strings and I don't like the bottom loop to come off when I am not looking. I wonder if those big loops on standard endless dacrons could pop off during a shot, I am not going to test it to see if it could happen. I had a spare string that fit his bow, right to position of the nocking point, although it had a few more strands than he needed.  While am typing this there is a giant centipede on the floor, I think it is staring at me.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13871 on: June 19, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Tapered arrows...

How many of you all shoot tapered arrows?

I have started putting a 10 inch nock taper on my arrows and find beneficial attributes to them.  The idea is that reducing the mass weight near the end of an arrow helps it recover faster from paradox.  

I think this attribute is especially noticed in bows not cut to center like Hill styles.

I noticed by reading the Bob Burton book that most of the vintage Hill arrows in the collections are tapered to some degree.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13872 on: June 19, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
And in other exciting news, after 4 years of trying I got a job offer back home in KY so I am moving from the big city (st. Louis) and heading back to the country!!!
Congrats on the new job Brian.  How far west in Kentucky are you headed?
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13873 on: June 19, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:
Tapered arrows...

How many of you all shoot tapered arrows?

I have started putting a 10 inch nock taper on my arrows and find beneficial attributes to them.  The idea is that reducing the mass weight near the end of an arrow helps it recover faster from paradox.  

I think this attribute is especially noticed in bows not cut to center like Hill styles.

I noticed by reading the Bob Burton book that most of the vintage Hill arrows in the collections are tapered to some degree.
I also have better luck with tapered wood out my Hill style.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13874 on: June 19, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
I shoot tapered Douglas Fir out of my Hills.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13875 on: June 19, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
Picked up a Two Tracks Echo longbow at Compton's, Saturday. 68" #51@28. Slight string follow and as quiet and dead in the hand on release as I've experienced. If you get a chance to shoot one, do it.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13876 on: June 19, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Austin Brown:

Congrats on the new job Brian.  How far west in Kentucky are you headed? [/b]
Austin,
I'll be working in Paduca from August through jan/feb, but I'll be living in Central city (Muhlenburg county).  After that I'll have a route covering western Ky/Evansville area.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13877 on: June 19, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
Howdy fellers, I have a Northern Mist shelton on the way. From what I`ve read on them they are fine bows. Any of you fellers hunt with one ?RC
I talked to Steve yesterday and he said he would call me next week so we could get the particulars on a Shelton to be built in a couple of weeks. We expecting pictures RC. Congrats on getting a great shooter. Any hints on what she is going to look like? I can't make up my mind on how I want mine . Totally blocked.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13878 on: June 19, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »

Originally posted by Austin Brown:

Congrats on the new job Brian.  How far west in Kentucky are you headed? [/b]
Austin,
I'll be working in Paduca from August through jan/feb, but I'll be living in Central city (Muhlenburg county).  After that I'll have a route covering western Ky/Evansville area. [/b]
I'm about 25 miles southwest of Paducah.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13879 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Speaking of strings and tight loops. I have always told my string maker to build the bottom loop the size of a dime and the top the size of a nickel. It is tight and fits my Hills perfectly. Never thought it would affect anything. Good stuff.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©