3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134229 times)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13880 on: June 19, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
RC, you should really enjoy that bow! As sweet a bow as you will find.

I talked to Steve yesterday, my Green Classic will be ready and waiting at the Grayling shoot this weekend.

Eric

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13881 on: June 19, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
I think tapered shafts look great but wont make you a better shooter. Dave wallace won withparallels. Most of the guys shooting at the worlds also use parallels.year after yr .I think they are onto something.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13882 on: June 19, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Has Steve Turay's wait time come down?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13883 on: June 19, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
After reading all the post about shooting with a lower brace height I had to give it a try. I moved my brace height from 6 3/8" down to 6" and my groups tightened up. Thanks for the tip on this.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13884 on: June 19, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Don't know what bow your shooting bicster but give 5.5 - 5.75 a try. I really get some improved speed out of the bow and have not noticed a single negative.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13885 on: June 19, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
I've been shooting tapered wood shafts for about 25 years and believe they are more forgiving. Can't prove any thing, but given the extra effort involved in tapering a shaft it shows I really do believe it works and I've made and shot hundreds of arrows in that time.

Besides, I really like the feel of a 5/16 shaft between my fingers compared to 11/32.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13886 on: June 19, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
I tried tapered shafts from a few bows a while back and didn't notice a difference in my bows cut close or to center.

I started building self and backed bows that average 1/2" from center and shoot tighter groups with my tapered shafts. My Shelton isn't cut to center and it likes tapered shafts better too.

I'm a believer!

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13887 on: June 19, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
Six pages in four days?  What Hill interest...?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13888 on: June 19, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nate Steen .:
Six pages in four days?  What Hill interest...?
And just think about those reading and not posting. Lots of Hill style interest out there not able to be gauged.

I'm interested in the tapered arrow comments. I have one set but they are for my 64# Hill style...I haven't shot it much at all of late. I'm enjoying the 50ish Hill bows I own.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13889 on: June 19, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
I have shot tapered arrows on Recurves RD and Hill bows and I prefer them as well.  The only down side is its a little harder to get the weight up.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13890 on: June 19, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
RC and Westbrook congratulations on your bows. I ordered a Classic and now the wait begins.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13891 on: June 19, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
How much does tapering reduce spine?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13892 on: June 19, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Maybe a pound or two.... maybe!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13893 on: June 19, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
I gave my NM Classic a try at 5 3/4", but the flight of my arrows wasn't as good as when it is at 6 1/8". With the lower BH, the feathers are touching the riser, so maybe that has something to do with the poor flight. Got it back up to 6" for my next practice session.

I haven't played with the Misty Dawn, which also shoots well at 6 1/8".
Chuck

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13894 on: June 20, 2013, 06:22:00 AM »
I had the same experience with my Dave Johnson. Set the brace low and 5" shields were touching the shelf when arrow was nocked and string at rest. I went to 4" shields for it and continued trying low brace and the shorter feathers helped. I also tried cock feather in when shooting per Nate Steen's advice and flight improved greatly.

Shootin' and tinkerin' seem to go hand in hand. I think we're all trying to find the perfect combo of arrow, brace, feather, etc... as we should.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13895 on: June 20, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
Good morning RC,

Congratulations on your pending Sheldon acquisition!

If you get along with your Sheldon as well as I did mine... you're gonna love it!!

God bless, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13896 on: June 20, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Now we are talking!   Good shot Mudd! Nuthin better than a little blood on the bow.

Don't you know those old timey longbows are no good for hunting  :laughing:

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13897 on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Like Charlie, I love tapered shafts from Hill bows.  They seem to fly like lasers.  Parallel are fine, but I perceive a difference.  

Another solid reason to shoot tapered shafts, when you order them, the best shafts are often used for tapered shafts, they are straighter, with good grain, because when they run a crooked shaft on the taper machine they would get garbage out. This means less straightening and more attention to weight groupings as well.

I think I'll be making some strings with tiny loops, I've made some, guess I never really noticed any difference.

I've noticed bowyers are cutting the string grooves more shallow all the time, I'm unsure if padded loops are even necessary anymore...my most recent bow had the padded loops protruding from the side of the bow. More apt to get rubbed.

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13898 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
I'm with you Nate. I keep checking in but there seems to be a change. I was encouraged when I saw your posts.
Recently bought a dozen Hill broadheads just because you should have them if you shoot a Hill bow even if you don't use them.  I found what they say about arrow flight is true. We've had some pretty gusty wind as of late and these heads stay on track. Using 5-1/2 sheild and parabolic on 1916 with glue in aluminum broadhead adapters and 35/55 GT's with brass glue in broadhead adapters out of a 50# @28 HH Wesley Special drawn 27-1/2.
I haven't worked up a set of Surewoods yet, that's next on the list. Suggestions here would be appreciated, heads are 160gr once file sharpened, shafts would be 28 BOP.
I picked one head as a sacrificial lamb for sharpening practice. I've been using mill bastards 10 to 6 inch and a 5/16 and 1/4 round chain saw files. It's going pretty well but any insights on sharpening would be appreciated. The No Mercy Zwickeys are ready to go but I would really like to give the Hill's a whirl in the quiver, gotta love the way they track in flight and I have had no problems with getting them to spin true.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13899 on: June 20, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
58...I love the Hill heads...work well for me.  I use a 1/4" chainsaw file,  sharpen one side (rw), flattening the bevel from the factory bevel until I create the burr, then lightly take off the burr...done.  Jagged sharp edge that will take off hair but holds up better in a backquiver.  Looks like the edge of a soup can...lol.  I stay away from the flat file on the Hill heads.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©