3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134143 times)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13940 on: June 23, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
Jeff, it may seem a little slow compared to a Robertson or Stewart Slammer, they're 2 different animals. Speed is a good thing, but not near as important as some make it out to be.

Eric

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13941 on: June 23, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
Since I will be flying to B.C. for the Longbow Safari instead of driving and taking the ferry, and since I have to fly with all of my gear for a nine-day stay on the island, I am having to keep my camping gear light.

So this weekend I tested my gear on a canoe trip. Good thing I tested it, because the summer-weight sleeping bag was a total fail, too thin and light to stay warm once it got below 40. WIll have to take my normal backpacking sleeping bag and go a little heavier than I planned. My solo tent worked perfectly though, and the new mini lantern is a keeper.

All in all, it was a good practice session for camping on Vancouver Island next to Comox Lake. Along the way I managed to catch some trout, saw some beautiful scenery, and for those of you Hill Shooters who will be hunting moose this fall, the moose photo is for you. Taken 50 yards from my tent, right after I caught that big brown trout.

If the British Columbia sky over Comox Lake and the Longbow Safari will be anything like sunset last night, I am going to have a hard time counting the hours until Saturday gets here and I can head out for adventure. 'Ol "Gone Outback" is getting antsy to kill some targets, longbow style!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13942 on: June 23, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13943 on: June 23, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your trial run with us Rik.

:thumbsup:    :campfire:  

Now go sic'em!

God bless,Mudd   :archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13944 on: June 23, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
In an earlier discussion I mentioned that I don't really shoot with the "Hill style". I found these videos from a few years ago of my form.
Decide for yourself.
   my form  
folks, having hunted with charlie, and seen him consistently squarely BBQ running rabbits, he is proof that it's not "a specific form" that will get the job done consistently, it's your personal consistent and accurate form that does the deed.  

do not be overly concerned that you are or are not emulating the the archery form of someone else.  be more mindful of your personal physical archery form, and how it applies to "consistent accuracy".  

for as with other free form aiming sports ... archery, consistency be thy name.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13945 on: June 23, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
You could not have said it better, Rob.  :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13946 on: June 24, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
Rik, what kind of bow is "gone outback"?

Beautiful pictures !

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13947 on: June 24, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
Some inspiring and thought provoking words:

Ever since I came into this world the force that has guided me seems to have been the urge to Go and See.

The idea of re-living his life if it were possible has occurred to almost everyone, I am sure. My own has been enjoyable, thrilling, frightening, and many times one false move would have caused sudden death, but I would not change my path if I had it to travel again, except I would perhaps spend even more time with nature than I have done. All over the world there are some who will understand, while others cannot.
Howard Hill
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13948 on: June 24, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
In an earlier discussion I mentioned that I don't really shoot with the "Hill style". I found these videos from a few years ago of my form.
Decide for yourself.
   my form  
folks, having hunted with charlie, and seen him consistently squarely BBQ running rabbits, he is proof that it's not "a specific form" that will get the job done consistently, it's your personal consistent and accurate form that does the deed.  

do not be overly concerned that you are or are not emulating the the archery form of someone else.  be more mindful of your personal physical archery form, and how it applies to "consistent accuracy".  

for as with other free form aiming sports ... archery, consistency be thy name. [/b]
Rob,
Very well said.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13949 on: June 24, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Love those quotes Bud. I often seem to rush through days as if there is a "goal" at the end. Life is too enjoy daily to the fullest and the "goal" is to cross the River Jordon with no regrets and bow your head before God knowing all is well. RC

Offline ROCKLAND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13950 on: June 24, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Amen...
Howard Hill Big Five  68" 52#@28

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13951 on: June 24, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
There are many ways to shoot a longbow well.

Some are similar to the way Howard Hill shot, others lean toward Olympic archery style, and others fall somewhere in between. They all work----when done consistently and with perfect form, each and every shot.

However, there are three easy ways to make sure you shoot poorly. The three deadly sins of the archer.

I am sure I will see many, many shooters at the North American Longbow Safari next week exhibiting these sins, but the problem is, most shooters don’t even realize what they are doing wrong. And that is why they don’t shoot consistently well. With just a little coaching, they could all shoot much better than they are now.

And so, without further adieu, here are The Three Deadly Sins of the Archer (according to Rik).

NOT REACHING FULL DRAW.
This is the most common error I see. For the most part, it is not caused by being over bowed. It is not a physical issue------it is all in the mind. Some do it because they are trying to get rid of the arrow as fast as possible. Others do it because they panic just before they reach full draw. Others do it because that is how their friends all shoot and they think that is the way it should be done. This archer’s sin takes more work than the other two to fix, but it’s not rocket science, and many great, great shots have put in the hours of practice needed to overcome the error and consistently come to full draw, each and every shot. They are now “Happy Campers.”

DROPPING THE BOW ARM.
You have probably watched dozens of people at every 3-D shoot you have attended making this mistake. At the exact moment they release the string, they drop the bow arm, either straight down, or down and off to either the left or right side. This archer’s sin is caused by not following through with the shot until the arrow reaches the mark. The result is erratic arrow placement. The solution is to keep your bow hand on target until after the arrow strikes. If you can do that, you are well down the road to consistent accuracy.

STRING HAND FLYING OUT FROM THE FACE. Many call this “plucking the string” but that is an inaccurate description for the problem. If you “pluck” the string straight back, directly in line with the arrow, you can shoot phenomenally well. That is called “follow through” with the string hand. Watch an Olympic archer shoot, and you will see what I am talking about.------they are well coached. Some of the best shooters either don’t move the string hand at all upon release, or they follow through with the string hand as I described above. The archer’s sin is to move the string hand out from the face upon releasing the string. This will send the arrow either slightly left or slightly right, depending on whether the shooter is left or right handed. Either way, it is not conducive to consistent, accurate shooting.

As we all know, there is no “one way” to shoot a longbow well, but there are definitely ways to MAKE SURE you don’t shoot well. The three examples above will assure it.

P.S.  Pat asked above what kind of bow “Gone Outback” is. It’s a 66-inch Sunset Hill takedown. A Bamboo Beauty. Nate made it for my third trip to Australia. Even the compound guys I was hunting with there had to admit, it’s one great-looking bow.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13952 on: June 24, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
What a provoked thought RC.  :thumbsup:

I'll second the Amen!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13953 on: June 24, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
What a provoked thought RC.   :thumbsup:  

I'll second the Amen!
X3.....  :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13954 on: June 24, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
All this talk of shooting Hill bows had me pumped so I went and shot my Expedition for a few minutes despite my neck being so torqued up I can hardly get out of bed in the morning.... Frowns from the wife but I sure feel better mentally (if not physically)!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13955 on: June 24, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
What RC said works for me as well.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13956 on: June 24, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Got the shelton today. Every arrow I have is to stiff for it but I shot it enough to get a good feel and it feels good. I have 35/55 gtips with a 250 grain point that was barely stiff but bogged the bow down a bit. I`m thinking of some  600 spine shafts and enough pt weight to get me to about 525 grains and the bow will liven up some. It does shoot sweet. I`ll post a pic tomorrow. RC

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13957 on: June 24, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
RC,

Might try some 90 carbon express heritage, .588 spine and good weight per inch.  I am giving them a go.

Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13958 on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
Lookin' forward to seein' some pics of your new Shelton, Brother RC!

Maybe with some blood on it....

:jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13959 on: June 25, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
Are laminate wood bows, like bamboo backed yew as susceptible taking a set when left strung to long? Like a self bow would.
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown
66" Nothern Mist American

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©