3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 134062 times)

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #13980 on: June 26, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
I use the American Leathers Crossover.  Love it.  Well worth the money!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13981 on: June 26, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
X 2 on the crossover.  I usually try to buy one that is a little snug, so i like to make sure it fits in person.  I smear with pitch blend, and shoot it to break it in.  When they are sewn, an 1/8" change in material can make a glove sloppy loose or too tight even marked the same size.  I've had one 2 yrs and just bought a back-up, even though the original shows almost no wear, and I shoot a lot.  

I've also used the big shot and like it, but prefer the nylon inserts to cordura having used both for a couple years.

Offline Muss03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13982 on: June 26, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
So here is my issue lately when shooting my Hill. This is something that a shooting buddy of mine pointed out while we were shooting the other night. After my shot breaks, or maybe at the same time, my bow arm goes left. Not up or down, just left, really left, six inches to a foot.  I don't feel it or pay any attention to it, it just happens. I hold with a lot of back tension and settle hard into my anchor for a few seconds before I release and I feel quite a bit more tension with my Hill bow as opposed to any of my recurves. I guess the best way to explain it is that upon release I experience a pulling apart motion that seems to follow through after the arrow leaves the bow. I shoot pretty consistently and I would really have to consciously focus on keeping my bow arm still. Anyone else have this issue?

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13983 on: June 26, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Muss I don't know if that is really a problem.  Ask this question on the shooting forum.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13984 on: June 26, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Is there much difference between the American Leather gloves and the Dura Glove from 3 Rivers?
NFetscher

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13985 on: June 26, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
The problem down here with gloves is hunting in the muggy swamp they get sweaty and smell like something dead. I usually have 3 that I rotate and one broke in for deer season that don`t stink. I can`t afford 4 big shots... Anybody try the Hill style gloves with the nylon inserts?RC

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13986 on: June 26, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
RC,
I have a HHA delux glove ( nylon inserts) here is my take.  Fabulous construction , and great price. A lot of protection and a slick release,

My issue with it is that the tips are a little too pointy and it seems as if my anchor is too far off my face ( fixable if you want to trim off 1/8"-1/4" from tips). But the reason I don't shoot it is the stalls are not long enough for how deep of a hook I have. The stitches at the end are where my string would set and its too close for comfort for me. The string can fall in behind the stall and get hung up.
If you are a finger pad type shooter than this glove would be perfect but for me there just is not a lot of room for my deep hook.

I would have sold it by now but I have a hard time letting it go because it really is a great glove.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13987 on: June 26, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Oh, James at JD Berry has been shooting the same HHA delux glove for almost 25 years. So they must hold up well. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13988 on: June 27, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
I have always struggled with keeping my bow arm steady. I practice in front of a blank bale but my arm always moves no matter what I do and I do use back tension. With that being said, I am still pretty consistent with my accuracy.

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13989 on: June 27, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Brian, I believe HHA will put longer finger stalls on the deluxe glove if you request them.

I agree it's a great glove. I do trim the ends and that works perfect for me.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13990 on: June 27, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Jon,
I ordered the longer stalls, I think it's just an idiocentracy of how I shoot. 100% my issue and not a fault of the glove at all.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13991 on: June 27, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by bicster:
I have always struggled with keeping my bow arm steady. I practice in front of a blank bale but my arm always moves no matter what I do and I do use back tension. With that being said, I am still pretty consistent with my accuracy.
bicster,
Look up moebow's videos on youtube.  (Seems like you find more under moebow1.)  He shoots the Hill style in the ones I've watched and says that with proper back tension, your bow hand should move a little left after release (right-hand shooter.)  That made me feel a lot better.  And to me, the physics based on where your muscles and bones are make sense.  I know some swear it shouldn't move at all, but I think it just shouldn't move much in the left direction, and zero in the up or down direction.  I asked another Level 4 coach, and he agreed with moebow.  There must be something to it...
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13992 on: June 27, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Watch any of Howard Hill's old films and you'll see his bow hand move to the left when he shoots.The clip "Getting the Hawk" in Howard's section of the Legends and pioneers section shows it really well in slow motion.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13993 on: June 27, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Goshawkin:
Watch any of Howard Hill's old films and you'll see his bow hand move to the left when he shoots.The clip "Getting the Hawk" in Howard's section of the Legends and pioneers section shows it really well in slow motion.
That slow motion shows it perfectly.  Great catch Nick.  

I've been gone for a while.  Hope everyone around here is well.  Good to be back.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13994 on: June 27, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Welcome back Mike!  :wavey:  

Hey,did you.........Awwh never mind,I said I wouldn't tease you in public   :biglaugh:

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13995 on: June 27, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
Question, Did Mr. Hill favor white arrow's just for shooting entertainment (movies and show's) or did he like it better to see the path of the arrow?  We know he didn't shoot with a side plate so he could hear how the arrow struck the bow, so curious.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13996 on: June 28, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Hey, I see 13999 posts, and I just want to be number 14,0000......
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13997 on: June 28, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
RC - my Northern Mist Classic likes 400 full length carbons with 200 grain points. I pull 27" and the bow is 49@28. That arow ends up about 520 grains or so if memory serves me.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13998 on: June 28, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by toddster:
Question, Did Mr. Hill favor white arrow's just for shooting entertainment (movies and show's) or did he like it better to see the path of the arrow?  We know he didn't shoot with a side plate so he could hear how the arrow struck the bow, so curious.
I think I read it was because white arrows showed up on film better. He probably used them when filming.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13999 on: June 28, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I watched the trailer of travolta and Deniro, look's pretty good to me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©