3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133989 times)

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14040 on: July 01, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
Some proper shooting sticks to go with my Schulz.

55-60 spined 10" nock tapered douglas fir with 6 1/2 parabolics.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14041 on: July 01, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
If you dipped those Greg do you mind sharing how you did it? Paint? Thickness of paint? Type? Clear coat? I've been thinking of doing some all white but that yellow looks good.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14042 on: July 01, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Beautiful arrows
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14043 on: July 01, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
I held my 7 Lakes Carolina Night today. Man what a nice looking bow it's gonna be. Mike wanted to check with me on the grip before going forward. It's nice having a bowyer nearby.

No pics....sorry.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14044 on: July 01, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
If you dipped those Greg do you mind sharing how you did it? Paint? Thickness of paint? Type? Clear coat? I've been thinking of doing some all white but that yellow looks good.
Krylon spray paint.  2 coats white. One coat yellow.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14045 on: July 01, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
Congrats Bud, Always fun expecting the arrival of a new bow. I just ordered a new bow from HHA. Been wanting a lighter draw weight Hill. Decided on a 64" Cheetah with an extra lamb of boo for a little added speed. Brown glass back and clear glass belly. 46 to 48 @ 26 and no tip overlays.Buying it as a blank so I can shape and size the handle for a perfect fit. Also ordered a dark brown handle wrap and shelf leather.I will have to decide what I want to use for the finish. Bubinga riser, should have it in two to three weeks. Yea!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14046 on: July 01, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
This one is three lams actionboo and two lams maple. I asked or limbs no wider than 1" so the extra layer of boo was needed to meet weight. Brown glass back and belly. Osage riser. I have a green piece of leather for the handle wrap.  :)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14047 on: July 01, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks Greg.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14048 on: July 01, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Greg,
After you shoot those for a while, I am curious as to the durability of the color and finish. Please provide us with updated.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14049 on: July 01, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
Greg,
After you shoot those for a while, I am curious as to the durability of the color and finish. Please provide us with updated.
I have been shooting my test arrow all week into the dirt of my yard and shot with my Bud Mike for about 2 hours yesterday into my clay/rocky soil with blunts.  The finish holds up well.  I put a coat of poly over the Krylon which really helps durability.  I leave the fletch area clean and glue right to the Krylon.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14050 on: July 01, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Bud and David,sounds like you two are getting a couple sweet bows.  :thumbsup:

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14051 on: July 01, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
Thanks Greg

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14052 on: July 01, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
I have been dinking around with the Howard Hill method of split vision shooting as explained in his book. Anyone out there shoot split vision? Truly split vision as he describes? Pros? Cons?

I have been, according to the definitions I have read, a true instinctive shooter.

« Reply #14053 on: July 01, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
I do, left handed, I use it right handed on long shots. At first, when I went to primarily shooting lefty, I could get my eyes confused from left to right, but after a while it became natural. The one thing that Hill states over and over that this an 'imaginary, indirect aiming point'. he also stated that one can get too 'dogmatic' in explaining it.  After a few million shots it will become second nature and will seem more instinctive, but the basics of how you point the arrow will still be there. I think some very good purly instinctive shooters do this, even though they claim that they do not 'see' the arrow it is there right in front of them and it is a very familiar image. The acknowledgement is not one of conscious deliberating, more of a natural responce to what their eyes see.  Hill puts it all in more graphic terms and claims to be consciously aiming, even though it appears to be nearly instantanious.  I think that it is important to consciously point the arrow in the last few inches of draw, but at close quick shots, for me, getting very fundamental with the aim, would require that every shot would have to be in the exact same positions, which is nearly impossible when hunting.  For odd position shots, the imaginairy secondary aiming point will put you in the ball park. Then, at some point the accurate shot would be aimed with the impression of where the arrow is and the final complex number crunching done at a very fast intuitive level.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14054 on: July 01, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
I'm conscious of the arrow, but, I have no idea where the point is in relation to the point of aim.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14055 on: July 01, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
I would say that I do. But I'm to the point where I don't know EXACT placement anymore as I have shot my gaps enough to have them ingrained in my head now, but if I need to be exacting say on the gord shot he pulls off , ill know where that tip needs to be and put it there.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14056 on: July 01, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
I have been monkeying with it too.  The hardest part for me is seeing that dang arrow tip.  It vanishes on me.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

« Reply #14057 on: July 01, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
The steadier one's focus is, the clearer the secondary image becomes.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14058 on: July 01, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
The steadier one's focus is, the clearer the secondary image becomes.
Agreed.

Having tried looking hard at the point you want to hit I find seeking the point in secondary vision is getting easier.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14059 on: July 01, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
Wanna pass along that Steve Turay has a new Shelton listed on his website.  68" 52@28, RH Straight Grip.  Shedua riser, ALL YEW limbs with clear glass.  

Steve and I have been messaging back and forth for a few days.  I knew he was finishing it up as a stock bow, and I had planned on picking it up, AS IT'S PERFECT!  But alas, I just can't swing it right now.  I hope another TradGanger picks it up and enjoys it.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©