3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133935 times)

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14060 on: July 02, 2013, 06:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pokerdaddy:
Wanna pass along that Steve Turay has a new Shelton listed on his website.  68" 52@28, RH Straight Grip.  Shedua riser, ALL YEW limbs with clear glass.  

Steve and I have been messaging back and forth for a few days.  I knew he was finishing it up as a stock bow, and I had planned on picking it up, AS IT'S PERFECT!  But alas, I just can't swing it right now.  I hope another TradGanger picks it up and enjoys it.
Wow that is almost too tempting, I would love to try a Shelton with yew limbs. My favorite Shelton has elm limbs. If I did not have an order in with Steve...will somebody please buy this bow....
Rom 1:20

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14061 on: July 02, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by ScouterMike:
...will somebody please buy this bow....
Dang, that sounds like a nice bow.  But I can't afford the attorney right now that would come with it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14062 on: July 02, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
I just saw this post/topic, and am thinking of a HH bow.  You mention Steve Turay has a Shelton listed on his site...that's not HH Bow's site (unless I missed something there)...would y'all mind 'xplainin' who/what/where this is.  I know I have a lot of pages to read to catch up (daggone - 937 more to go), but thought y'all wouldn't mind helping an ol guy out...
Linwood

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14063 on: July 02, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
http://www.northernmistlongbows.com/AllBows/bowsInStock.html

That will take you to his instock bows.  Steve Turay is a great guy and great bower.  His bows are thought very highly of.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14064 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
OK!  Thank you Brianlocal3!
I guess I'm on a "hunt".  I want to start getting into bow arms shape - it's been a while for me, and something new might be the motivation!
Linwood

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14065 on: July 02, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
If anyone has a HH bow for sale - RH approx.  45-48@28 please email me at [email protected]
Thanks.
Linwood

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14066 on: July 02, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Heads up....a relatively new Miller Old Tom just hit the classified's.  If I hadn't swapped/sold so many bows over the weekend, I'd be callin' for pics of this one.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14067 on: July 03, 2013, 01:18:00 AM »
Doggoneitall, y'all have me stoked.  The Special Edition on HHA website looks awfully pretty!  How do y'all think such a layup would shoot?  I like really smooth - am use to recurves.
Linwood

« Reply #14068 on: July 03, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »
I had plans to make it up to Hamilton last week and order, hopefully, the ultimate in smooth shooter, at least in my best guess. But it was not to be. A hail storm slowed me up heading west, I left my cell phone lay somewhere, and I developed a remarkable inner right ear problem going over the Bighorns. Apparently, allergies and altitude don't mix.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14069 on: July 03, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
R.C. I got a little behind reading! Here's my answer to some of your questions:

I use a tab made from cordovan leather with no stiches.

My bow is a Shelton TD 53 lbs at 27" draw, 66" long (tilered 3 under).

I use Douglas fir, 55-60 lb. spine, tapered shafts,27.5" long, about 520 grain shafts with 160 grain broadheads or field tips.

Like the look of your NM Shelton.

Mine was posted on this thread (a long time ago!)
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14070 on: July 05, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Does anybody know how to search this thread?  I'm struggling to figure this out. I was looking at getting some Hill BHs to use this year and wanted to read up on them a little for tips and tricks... I'm sure this subject has been covered in the 939 pages!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14071 on: July 05, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14072 on: July 05, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm not sure if you can search this thread sepoeratly,I couldn't figure it out either. Just do a POW WOW search for Howard Hill broadheads and alot of threads come up.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14073 on: July 05, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
First post  has a link for it. Have fun!
Thom

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14074 on: July 06, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
A few pics..........

Thanks for lookin'......
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14075 on: July 06, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Those look great Rob

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14076 on: July 06, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
I really like the wood combo on Second Chance.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14077 on: July 06, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
I agree Jeff, the Yew Lams on that bow are gorgeous to look at.  And the performance of that Boo/Yew combo is really something....a hard bow to put down.  Heck, it's hard to put any of them down!

The one named Red Hawk is the one I am trying to determine whether it's a Cheetah or a Half Breed.  The Lams look more like Juniper than Yew.  The serial # on that bow is what's throwing me as Craig said it's only a name on the bow....that he's never built a Red Hawk.  I need to call and ask him about the "R" in front of what would normally denote a Half Breed Serial designation.

Offline False Cast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14078 on: July 06, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
Lets talk bow length…

So I've heard the formula that says take your drawlength and add 40" for the proper Hill bow length. Does anyone deviate from that?

Does anyone subscribe to shooting a shorter-than-"normal" Hill bow for their draw length?

I've got a 25.5" draw length and my only bow, a Schulz Trophy Hunter, is 66". I love it and it fits me great. I'm thinking of ordering a back up from Mr. Miller and I'm considering trying a shorter bow for maneuverability's sake; especially because I hunt whitetails in thick cedar swamps.

So, what are your thoughts on bow length?

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14079 on: July 06, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Green, regarding Craig saying that it's a name on the bow--I have a friend who had Craig build him a Redman but he wanted it named "Tecumseh" and that is the name Craig put on it where usually it would say "Redman".  So evidently that's what happened here.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©