3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133828 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14160 on: July 11, 2013, 05:40:00 AM »
I was working on my first ELB years ago, and an Englishmen came by and said I was making a nice Garden bow, with them dips in there. I got a big lesson on Buchanan that day. That gent turned into a good friend and bow building mentor for the ELB proper.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14161 on: July 11, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
Thank you Chuck!!!

I never gave the "no-handle" ELB to handle American longbow transition much thought until this very moment.

When I was much younger I tried my hand at building a few ELB's with some successes among a bunch of what I considered failures.

I should have tried using hickory for a "workingmans" version but because of the woods desire to soak up moisture I went instead to Osage Orange.

It doesn't take a lot of Osage to carry a whole lot of draw weight so I wasn't overly satisfied with my efforts results.

Yew wood, especially good yew wood was not easily come by her in the midwest but over time I was able to scrounge a couple of pieces that satisfied my desires for a true ELB.

I still own one ELB "John Jr." 80" tip to tip and drawing around [email protected] to say, I now use the bow as a piece of wall decoration...lol

Danged rabbit trails...lol

God bless,Mudd

PS Thanks again Tradgang folks for thought provoking topics. Now I am wishing I had another sweet pulling, slow casting ELB in my draw weight...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14162 on: July 11, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Hey Mudd, not to side track from the HH to far but, I think there is relation to the transition from ELB to ALB and/or AFB. Once the laminating started to become common, the "dips" became inevitable I think. It takes little material to make weight once you start gluing things together.

As to your slow casting remark, I have a 55#@30" ELB made of Hickory that might change your mind. I won a "shoot across the pond" with it earlier this spring. 90yds distant. That bow was made by my Late friend who informed me of the "Dips" that day I spoke of above. Nice bow it is.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

« Reply #14163 on: July 11, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Pig nut hickory if it is tight and very dry has way better cast than some would think. I am surprized that it does not show up in laminated bows. Birch is getting used and that soaks up moisture about the same or worse, but birch does not make a a good selfbow.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14164 on: July 11, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
I only had a little time to work in the shop this morning. Checked the alignment of the limbs by sighting along the string. (sorry for picture quality).

Then because of the difference in tiller between the limbs (bottom limb was 1/8" weaker) I measured width at the fades and found lower limb was wider by a 1/16" so I ground it down to match which brought it to 3/16" weaker in the top limb. Positive tiller.

Next I measured down from the nocks 8" and drew a line square across the limb. Then I measured from the center line again 1/4" each way at the nocks. This makes for a 1/2" wide limb at the nocks.
I then connected the nock marks with a line to where the 8" mark touches the edge of the limb.

After that I ground the limbs to those lines.
Since the nocks were ground away, they'll have to be recut later when I've got more shop time.

The arrow shafts have been tapered, stained, clear dipped, cap dipped white and as of this morning crested.

Now I'll be chasing weight on this bow which at the moment is a beast but too wide by nearly a 1/4".
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14165 on: July 11, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
You are rocking right along Charlie!

I bet we see an arrow fly out of it in the not too distant future.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14166 on: July 11, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Love the look of that new Berry, Mudd.  I have to say that even though I've been silent here for a bit, one of my favorite things is to watch your videos and hear the hardly perceptible "wheet" of your bows and the thud of your arrows hitting the bale.  I'll bet your foaming at the mouth waiting for that MorningStar to arrive.  Good luck with both of them.  

Well, after several months of thought I sold the first Hill I ever purchased.  My LE "Sirocco" will be going to a new home early next week.  It's a bittersweet moment, but I just didn't shoot her much over the last year because of other bows and some shoulder issues.  

That said, my shoulder is feeling much better and I actually shot a little today.  Trying to build the muscles back up.  I've also switched from three under to split.  For those of you who shoot three under as I did, try split for a few shots.  If you don't immediately notice the DRASTIC decrease in sound at the release I will be surprised.  For me it's night and day and is definitely worth the time little bit of time it will take to adjust my aiming point.  Do I actually aim?  I don't know anymore.  It's an argument that has been beaten deader than the proverbial horse around here, so I just go out an shoot the way it feels best.  As we all should.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14167 on: July 11, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Question guy's,I now have two hill style bows,a Dave Johnson 66"50@28 and just received a Wesley special 66"50@28 carbon and lamboo,I draw both to the same weight 52# on my scale,the arrows I have been using for the D.J are 55spine P.O.C.29.5 bop,I draw 28.5" they are perfect (or near to it )out of the D.J. but hit 3-4" left out of the Wesley, could they be to stiff for it and not flexing enough?

thanks Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14168 on: July 11, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Is the shelf cut the same for the two bows? Are you shooting RH or LH?
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14169 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
Got into the shop again this evening and made some progress on the bow. Took it down to 1" wide at the fades. It's starting to look more like a bow.

Removed some material from the tips to make it easier to get the string on and off and cut in the new nocks.

I made some templates from plexiglass a long time ago and they are used to lay out the handle contours.

It's 15 pounds heavier than I want, but I'm not finished working the limbs to shape and will finesse it to finish weight as I go.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14170 on: July 11, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
Nice bow build Charlie. Thank you for taking this non-talented non-bow builder along. I could only dream of doing what you're doing. I appreciate you taking the time to show us your progress.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14171 on: July 12, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
Well, y'all have done the evil thing, and gotten me hooked...I sent a check today for a nice HH (used but not abused), hope to see it next week!  This thread is awesome, epic, and how the heck am I going to read thru 945 pages?  So, now that you've sent me on this path, send me some HH mojo to shoot straight, and a deer or two in my path.  

Charlie, your build pics are awesome - I wish I could get THIS one!  Can't wait for your book!
Linwood

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14172 on: July 12, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Linwood,
HH bows come with mojo pre-installed!   :bigsmyl:
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14173 on: July 12, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Hey Linwood,

As I've told you you're going to love the bow you are receiving.  The bow is in (in my opinion) darn near immaculate condition for being four years old already.  Basically it looks exactly as it did when I purchased it.  

And like Butch said, mojo comes with the bow.  As long as you do your part to learn the proper grip that feels comfortable to you you will shoot straight and true.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14174 on: July 12, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  I'm stoked about it!  and yea, I understand the mojo, and my "responsibility" toward it.  I'm definitely looking forward to it!
Linwood

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14175 on: July 12, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
I know this has been posted before but with nearly 950 pages to sort through I thought posting the "Hitting 'Em Like Howard Hill" video link would be helpful to many (including myself).  I've seen the video multiple times and read the book several times.  Always good to see John's technique in action.  

There are four parts to the video all found here:

http://archeryduns.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/14895607

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14176 on: July 12, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
PROMOTING THE STOKE!  Thanks Mike!
Linwood

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14177 on: July 12, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
when this thread hits just over 1000 posts ... oops, PAGES!, i'll pdf the whole shebang and make it available as a download.   :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14178 on: July 12, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
946 pages ?    :scared:    :biglaugh:

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14179 on: July 12, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Thanks Rob.  It will be great to search the .pdf file.  But like bentpole said, I think we passed 1000 posts many moons ago.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©