3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133713 times)

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14240 on: July 18, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
Here are the specs as related by the seller to me:

"Howard Hill Archery Limited Edition "Sirocco" offered in 2009.  I am the second owner.  Only 50 "Siroccos" were built.  This one is #48.  The bow is 66" tip to tip, 48lbs @ 29", so probably right around 45@28.  It is right handed.  The limbs are a straight profile, no backset or string follow.  The handle has a locator grip as you can see in the photos below. The bow features a teak riser.  The riser handle is wrapped in black genuine stingray skin. This is the only time stingray has been offered by HHA.  Really comfortable in the hand and nice and grippy.  The riser has a sterling silver marlin inlay.  There are five laminations to the limbs under glass. From back to belly the lams are as follows: black glass, 2 lams of bamboo, 1 center lam of cocobolo, 2 lams of bamboo, clear glass. The limb tips have double overlays of whale baleen over bamboo. On my bow the belly lam of bamboo, the one under the clear glass, is dramatically darker than the inner bamboo lams, so I think it is tempered.  I've never handled another Sirocco, so I can't confirm that. "
The grip IS grippy!  I like it - especially in this heat - it doesn't get slick!  Great idea for a handle material, tho' I haven't seen it elsewhere.  I'm enjoying the bow (it's a better shot than I am).  Thanks Mudd for posting the pics!
Linwood

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14241 on: July 18, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
Sirocco...holy cow.  The cocobolo is a nice touch.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14242 on: July 18, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
Now I'm sorry I sold you that bow, Linwood.  I'm really glad you like it.  Craig Ekin came up with a beautiful design for that limited edition.  The name "Sirocco" refers to the hot and humid southerly winds that come off the deserts of northern Africa, cross the Mediterranean and blow across Sicily, Malta and southern Italy.  

Craig chose the name for this bow because it was also the name of Errol Flynn's yacht.  Howard spent a bit of time on the boat with Errol after they became friends while working on the movie "Robin Hood".  

With all that history and awesome materials it's impossible for that bow to not be cool.  Enjoy it.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14243 on: July 18, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
wELL, MIKE, IT is A LITTLE STRONG FOR ME, AND IT was YOURS, SO IF YOU WANT IT BACK, JUST SAY SO...It IS one of only 50, a special collectible, certain to increase in value (it already has appreciated  - oh, about 10%,BUT I would let you have it for a good price) :-) Honestly, I like it enough, but might order one a few lbs less in pull weight...if you wanted it back....  Let me know!

Originally posted by mikebiz:
Now I'm sorry I sold you that bow, Linwood.  I'm really glad you like it.  Craig Ekin came up with a beautiful design for that limited edition.  The name "Sirocco" refers to the hot and humid southerly winds that come off the deserts of northern Africa, cross the Mediterranean and blow across Sicily, Malta and southern Italy.  

Craig chose the name for this bow because it was also the name of Errol Flynn's yacht.  Howard spent a bit of time on the boat with Errol after they became friends while working on the movie "Robin Hood".  

With all that history and awesome materials it's impossible for that bow to not be cool.  Enjoy it.
Linwood

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14244 on: July 19, 2013, 05:39:00 AM »
It is something special.  and the stingray grip is the best material I have ever used, IMO.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14245 on: July 19, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
Kind offer, Linwood.   :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14246 on: July 19, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Kind offer, Linwood.    :thumbsup:  
I agree.  I'm crafting an email to discuss some options as we speak.  Keep an eye out for it Linwood.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14247 on: July 19, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Oh and in case you haven't seen it there is a 7 Lakes longbow with stingray grip in the classifieds right now.  I've never shot one, but I have read good things about the bowyer.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14248 on: July 19, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Stingray grips are pretty easy to do, but they take a little sanding to thin the leather and they are pricey.  You can get 1-2 from a skin, which cost about $20-45 each.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14249 on: July 19, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
Hmmmmm....I plan to do a little ray bowfishing next year.  I may have to look into this!

Offline FXJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14250 on: July 19, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
+Does anybody know if Steve Turay is coming to ETAR? A friend of mine went to the Baltimore show and he said Steve was not sure if he was going to make it to ETAR. Thanks,
 Frank X.

« Reply #14251 on: July 19, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14252 on: July 19, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
FXJr,

When I talked to Steve at Grayling in June he said he was doing no more shoots this summer. He is out of stock bows and cant get caught up. So he probably wont be there.

Eric

Offline Lambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14253 on: July 20, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Well, I'm back in the American semi-longbow busniess again.

Got this bow a few days ago, and it looks and shoots great!

It's a Zebra Grevy, made by Louie Armbruster.
47@28, 69" ntn. Green glass.

Offline FXJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14254 on: July 20, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Eric,
  Thanks for the information. Now I wish I would have gone to Baltimore!!
  Frank X.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14255 on: July 20, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Lambow, that's a fine bow to get you back into it.
Good luck.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14256 on: July 20, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
I've got a New Vixen listed f/s , I have a little wiggle room the on price, but not too much. Just giving the Hill gang a heads up if any ones interested.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14257 on: July 20, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lambow:
Well, I'm back in the American semi-longbow busniess again.

Got this bow a few days ago, and it looks and shoots great!

It's a Zebra Grevy, made by Louie Armbruster.
48@28, 69" ntn. Green glass.

Very nice! I have a 70" Grevy, 58@28, that I picked up earlier this month and it's quickly becoming my favorite bow
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14258 on: July 20, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
Lets see some pics Jim, I have two Grevys, they are definitely top performers.

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14259 on: July 20, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
SportHunter... a few of the Grevy

67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement