3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133692 times)

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14280 on: July 24, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Got a question... I saw somewhere on here [but can't seem to find it now] where someone was talking about John Shulz's "2/3 rule" (having to do with limb width) and was wondering if somebody could clarify it for me. I thought it was something like, in the first 2/3 of your limb you should lose 1/3 of its width. Is that correct, and if so, would that be measuring from the end of the fade or the center of the handle?

I've always just done a smooth taper from the end of the fade out to the tip, and have been happy with it, but I'm going to be doing another build here in the next couple weeks and thought I might try something different.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

« Reply #14281 on: July 24, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
If one goes from just a tad over 3/8" at the string grooves to a max width of 1&1/16" that is generally how it works out, but if you really want that limb to speed up add a parabolic core. On another note, I just bought a Hill Razorback for a 16 year old boy.  One I shot years ago was good, I hope this one will be good for him. question- Do I dare to put a padded fast flight on that 1981 bow?  I bought one from Steve McQueen that worked really nice on one of my bows and it has not suffered any ill effects from it. I no longer have his contact info.

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14282 on: July 24, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Do I dare to put a padded fast flight on that 1981 bow?  
pavan:
If she has wedged inserts there will be no problem. For sure! No tipp overlays needed for FF!
BUT have a look on the loops: they have to be padded! Better more then less!
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14283 on: July 24, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by canopyboy:
So, I've made my first Hill style bow (and first glass bow.) Cherry and black locust core lams.  String follow, 44@28.  66", but draws smooth out to almost 30" due to a shorter riser more like Nate used to talk about.  Almost no thump, I'm in love.  Was very hard to let go at the post office this afternoon.  Not sure how I lucked out on this one, but I took lots of measurements so I can try to duplicate.  I have some yew and black glass that I plan to make for myself...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WsUXcIN.
I couldn't resist and had to shoot it through the chrono at the club.  174 ft/s at 10 gpp.  I'm thinking that's decent for this poundage and string follow.  Passed around during Sunday's shoot and the comments generally fell into two columns: (1) how much do you charge? and (2) you really need to put anocking point on this strin

Thanks to everyone on this thread for keeping this bug going strong.  Maybe later I'll post about my experience on
Saturday shooting with a compound guy....
I like it David!    :thumbsup:
Since you put it out there.... What does one cost?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14284 on: July 24, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
I've heard many times that longbows of any sort can accept FF and a wedge isn't necessary so long as glass is in tact at the string grooves. Does anyone have true experience with and without wedges and using FF?  Any glass longbows bows explode attributed to FF?

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14285 on: July 25, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »
Does anyone have a 7 Lakes Hill style?  If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it and hopefully see some pics of it.  I haven't seen many other than the blanks that he sells.

Thanks

Nalajr

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14286 on: July 25, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blaino:
I like it David!     :thumbsup:  
Since you put it out there.... What does one cost?
Well Blaine, I think I have to make a few more and maybe retire before I can think about selling 'em.  For now I'll leave that to the professionals.  

But then again, I have such fond memories of that liquid corn at the hog hunt that you and I might just be able to work out some sort of barter system.....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14287 on: July 25, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
My JD Berry Vixen(Amazon Lady-Born on the 4th of July") 68" 47@28 came with FF string.

She does not sport either limb tip overlays nor  wedges.

I can only say that I love the way she looks, feels, and shoots.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14288 on: July 25, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
I certainly haven't read all of these posts but doesn't the hand shock bother any of you guys?

I will be receiving an Owl tomorrow but hand shock is my only reservation.

Do you just get used to it?

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14289 on: July 25, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Overspined, I've been using FF since the late 80's, bows with and without wadges, no problem. Wedges just plain look cool. I made a AM. longbow for Mr Mudd (Vixen) his bow has no wedges with FF

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14290 on: July 25, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Doug,

If shooting a bow that is well built and well tillered with an arrow of adequate weight hand shock will be minimal to non existent.  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14291 on: July 25, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bob B.:
Doug,

If shooting a bow that is well built and well tillered with an arrow of adequate weight hand shock will be minimal to non existent.  

Bob.
Well, I think you have to hold onto these bows and use a little bit of the heel of your hand too.  The tillering (even if done well) is done assuming a different type of grip than you'd have on a recurve/high wrist grip.  I've tried holding them with an open grip and not putting the heel of my hand into it, and even a smooth one starts to thump ya back into line.  Just like a good woman, I'm sure your bow will be fine - once you listen to how it wants to be held.  If you stick with it, it's one of those awesome self-correcting problems.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

« Reply #14292 on: July 25, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
I can add that if one slips on an icy hill side and jams the tip of a Jerry Hill that has neither the wedge or the overlay, the tip will crack when it hits the ice. A Schulz Hunter with the wedge will crack doing the same thing, but in all fairness the the Schulz did try to break my fall.
  I just got a Hill Razorback in the mail, it is in perfect shape, shoots really nice, it is about the most forgiving bow that I have ever shot, it could use a new string. I will soon have to part with it, because I bought it as a gift. That kid better like it, it is far better than I was expecting.  I could use a recommendation for a padded string maker for this bow, who is good and quick that knows how to make small loop strings for longbows?  I am not supplied or experienced with making anything but b50 strings.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14293 on: July 25, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by dougedwards:
I certainly haven't read all of these posts but doesn't the hand shock bother any of you guys?

I will be receiving an Owl tomorrow but hand shock is my only reservation.

Do you just get used to it?

Doug
Don't forget to leave a slight bend in that bow arm also....these bows need to be shot correctly.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14294 on: July 25, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »

Hey guys, new to me "no-namer". You probably saw it on the forums awhile back. I bought it off another member. 70" 75#@28" and it is a really nice bow. Boo laminations. Not sure what the riser is. Slight reflex in the limbs at the tips.

I really love this bow. BTW - I haven't really posted in here much. Hope to do it more.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14295 on: July 25, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Good looking bow, LimbLover.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14296 on: July 25, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
Here's a closer look.

Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14297 on: July 25, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
I remember that bow. I kicked it around for a few days about buying it. Look like you got a good bow at a good price! Good for you Nick.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14298 on: July 25, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
Wow...those are some bright string silencers Nick!  :scared:
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14299 on: July 25, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
There have been several bows that have become available over the past few months that had me wishing I could still handle the heavier wts.

Yours is definitely one of those!

Thanks for sharing.

His servant, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©