3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133630 times)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14360 on: August 02, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
That Cheetah's gorgeous.  Cocobolo and the bison grip look great!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14361 on: August 02, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by BarrBow:
here is the quiver I made in anticipation of getting the bow!

:eek:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:  
Awesome work!

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14362 on: August 02, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
That is some fine leather work on that quiver.  Nice to see someone taking a bit of artistic license on a tried and true design.  The Cheetah ain't so hard on the eyes either.  Enjoy them both.

And I'll state this again regarding hand shock.  I believe that it occurs in in virtually all cases an artifact of how you grip the bow. Try changing your grip around a bit.  I have a feeling that the way your gripped your Widow may not translate well to the Hill-style bow.  In very few cases hand shock is probably a result of a poorly tillered bow, but I know that Craig builds a fine longbow, so I don't think that's the problem here.  

Good luck with the Cheetah and quiver.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14363 on: August 02, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm typically a recurve shooter and am new to Hill style bows.

I am interested in purchasing a HH Tembo or Big Five and had a couple of questions.

Due to wrist issues in my left wrist, I can't pull more than 40-45# at my draw length of 29". I know this is a topic that's been beat to death, but what is the lightest hill style bow you would hunt with with accurate placement? I will only be hunting whitetails and small game. Will 40-45# @ 29" be adequate from a hill style bow? I know my longer draw gives me a bit more power.

Also what is the typical fade width of these models from those of you that own one? Handle depth? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, please know I would shoot more weight if I comfortably could, but a partial torn tendon in my wrist that never healed right keeps me from doing so. Thanks.

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14364 on: August 02, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
40-45# is fine for whitetails. Get an arrow around 500 grn with something wicked sharp on the end to fly perfectly out of the bow. You won't have any issues. I wouldn't be concerned at all.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14365 on: August 02, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Before you settle on a draw weight make sure that your draw length with with a Hill style bow is actually 29".

Due to the difference in grip style most archers will actually need a shorter arrow than with a recurve. Maybe as much as an inch and half or even more.

Width of most Hill style bows is right around 1 inch. Depth of the grip is usually around 2 inches +/-.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14366 on: August 02, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ifrit617:

Also, please know I would shoot more weight if I comfortably could, but a partial torn tendon in my wrist that never healed right keeps me from doing so. Thanks.

Jon
If you know anyone with a Hill style bow try it, depending on the type of wrist injury you have you may find you can pull a bit more with the way your hand/wrist sits on a straight grip as compared to a recurve grip.

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14367 on: August 02, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by stik&string:

Jon
If you know anyone with a Hill style bow try it, depending on the type of wrist injury you have you may find you can pull a bit more with the way your hand/wrist sits on a straight grip as compared to a recurve grip. [/b]
That's the problem, I don't know anyone with a hill style bow unfortunately. Wish Craig offered a test drive bow. Thanks for the tip about the draw length charlie, I will have to look into that.

Is the draw length for a hill style bow also measured from the back of the bow?

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Offline BarrBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14368 on: August 02, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Green, Goshawkin, mikebiz, Thanks very much guys!

mikebiz, I've been adopting more of a hill style grip even with the widow these last few years.  The grip on the hill was quite narrow compaired to the PLX. Once I put that thicker bison on, the hand shock is basically gone.  I forgot to put that I got the locator grip on the HH. I went to the range today, and if there is any handshock left, I didn't notice it.  I don't understand how these bows beat some people up so much.  Its a pleasure to shoot it.

Thanks again for the comments
Barr
_ _ _ _ _ _______________ _  _  _  _  _
64" Black Widow PLX T.D. Cross Grain Graybark 50#@28
68" H.H. Cheetah 58#@28

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14369 on: August 02, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
BarrBow, like I said I think most of it is in the way the bow is gripped by the shooter.  There are other factors as well, like poor design and/or incorrect tiller.  The type of string might even contribute to some buzz.  Ric O'Shay recently pointed out that Howard recommended a "heavy" string.  But a well built American Semi-Longbow gripped correctly shouldn't beat you up at all.  Fortunately I've owned all beautifully built longbows and I've worked on my grip so I've never felt the "shock" so many others speak of.  Just out of curiosity what did you set the brace height to on that Cheetah?  You can pretty low with these bows.  I shoot all of mine at 5 1/2 inches.  

Ifrit617, on Hill bows the drawlength is measured to the back.  Don't be insulted, but I assume you are calling the side of the bow facing away from the shooter the back.  Just want to make sure that we're talking the same language.  As others have said you will probably have a shorter draw with a Hill than a recurve.  I wouldn't be surprised if it went down between 27" and 28".  

I know all to well what it's like to be forced to lower poundage by injury.  My shoulders are shot and all I can manage on a Hill with setback limbs is 40#.  I know it will kill rabbits dead in their  tracks and I won't hesitate to hunt whitetail, though I haven't gotten out for them yet.  

Unfortunately you may experience the opposite of what stik&string said about your wrist.  The heel down grip may put some excess pressure on the wrist, but like he said it depends on the type of injury you have.  Keep looking and asking around.  There's got to be some Hill shooters out in the Green Bay area.  Good luck.  I hope it works out for you.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14370 on: August 02, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Thanks the for the advice mike. No offense taken, and yep were talking the same language. I too thought that the wrist down position may be a little harder on my wrist. Hopefully I will be able to find one in my draw weight to use a little bit before I drop the money for a new one.

Please forgive me asking, but why does the draw length decrease so much? Is it because of a slightly bent elbow in the bow arm?  

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14371 on: August 02, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Thanks the for the advice mike. No offense taken, and yep were talking the same language. I too thought that the wrist down position may be a little harder on my wrist. Hopefully I will be able to find one in my draw weight to use a little bit before I drop the money for a new one.

Please forgive me asking, but why does the draw length decrease so much? Is it because of a slightly bent elbow in the bow arm?  

Jon
Bow arm bent in combination with hand web and heel are more perpendicular with each other vs the recurve deep web forward hold and heel back position.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline BarrBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14372 on: August 02, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
mikebiz,

I just went with the recommended 6.5" from Craig's son Jon at Hill. I'd like to try a little lower as well.  It really seems to like Heritage 250's, cut at 30" with a 200gr point, 3 rh mild helical fletchings. My nock height is at 3/8ths. Right now with that setup, My chronograph reads 165fps, I strung the widow and shot the exact same arrow, and wouldn't you know it I got 165fps as well as the average! I'm not very concerned with how high the speed is, but I do like to know what it is.  I think these arrows are coming in at around 586 grains.

Cheers,
Barr
64" Black Widow PLX T.D. Cross Grain Graybark 50#@28
68" H.H. Cheetah 58#@28

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14373 on: August 02, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
I traded a Kohanna Kurve (sweet shooter) for a 66" 50@28" Owl and have been shooting it for a couple of weeks.  Man....this thing shoots so much differently than anything else I have had the pleasure to shoot in the stickbow world. (only been shooting for three months)

I have learned to cant the bow a little bit more and bend my bow holding arm just a bit. My cleanest shots feel like the bow holding hand is guiding the arrow or almost throwing it toward the target. The grip of the bow sometimes puts pressure on the heel of my hand but I don't feel anything that I would describe as "shock" but not sure how that terms is used in Trad circles.

Even the arrows seem to react differently to this bow.  The Owl is not fast but casts a flat arrow.  It really seems weird like I am watching the arrow spinning it's way in slow motion toward the target.

I did hear some positives and many negatives about the Hill bows before I decided to make the trade but I know that I did the right thing. It's just a cool bow to shoot and even though I still shoot my other longbows I usually begin and end the shooting session with the Owl.

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14374 on: August 02, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
dougedwards I hate to be the one to break this to you but you've been infected and there isn't a cure...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14375 on: August 02, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Congrats on getting hold of your new Hill bows guys! Love to see others getting the bug! :-)
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14376 on: August 02, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
Got my new Cheetah blank from Craig. Working on it now. I'll take some pics as it progresses. This bow is going to be sweet. 65" 48@26 brown glass back, clear belly, bubinga riser.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14377 on: August 02, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Sweet Dave! What do you have in mind for the work on your end?

Cheetahs are a NICE looking bow!
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14378 on: August 02, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
Hey Ross, I'm sanding the sides of the limbs right now down to 600 grit. Going with a satin poly finish and covering the grip with thin leather I had. I like a slim grip and don't want to increase the diameter of the grip much.I bought it without tip overlays and may make some out of Deer antler or cow horn at some point, but will leave it as is for now. I also may inlay my initials in the riser using German silver if I can make it small enough.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14379 on: August 03, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:
Hey Ross, I'm sanding the sides of the limbs right now down to 600 grit. Going with a satin poly finish and covering the grip with thin leather I had. I like a slim grip and don't want to increase the diameter of the grip much.I bought it without tip overlays and may make some out of Deer antler or cow horn at some point, but will leave it as is for now. I also may inlay my initials in the riser using German silver if I can make it small enough.
Looking forward to pics of your work and the progress.  Good luck!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©