3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133593 times)

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14400 on: August 04, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Ok I have a string question and never remember this being asked before, and yes I have read this whole thread.  So maybe we have something new to talk about and a few people can learn from.  The bow in question is a HHA bow I got new June of 2012.  I have always bought HHA strings.  Just called them up and say I need a string for my 68" bow, they sent one, all was well.  This past fall I decided to try out some of these FF strings all you guys rave about.  The first one I got I ordered too short though it was shootable so I dealt with it.  I got another one and the length was perfect.  I am have a new problem so here is my question.  The sting loop on the top limbs slips out of the string groove and if left alone will eventually pop loose completely.  I have noticed the top string loop on my custom string is much larger than the bottom string loop.  Seems to me if the top loop was smaller this would not happen.  My HHA strings the top and bottom string loops appear to be the same size and smaller than the custom string.  So what size of top limb loop should I ask for when ordering a custom string for a HHA bow?  This will be the third custom string for this bow in 9 months and am hoping to get this one right.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14401 on: August 04, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I like my bottom loop to be about the size of a dime and my top loop maybe the size of a nickle. This seems to be "perfect" for me.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14402 on: August 04, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I also had the same problem with my string loops popping out. I made my own strings with loops as tight as I could get them and that took care of the problem.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14403 on: August 04, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Thanks bicster. I was hoping that was the solution.  My first string that was too short did not have the issue but since it was too short it gave me a higher brace height.  I think that changed the angle just enough to keep it from happening.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14404 on: August 04, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
I'm like Brian. When I ordered a custom string I told the maker to make the bottom string the size of a dime and the top the size of a nickel. No problems.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14405 on: August 04, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
we have some great custom stringmaker sponsors here at trad gang.  all will make a fine working string to your specifications.  

having been in that business for decades, i can tell ya it can sure be hard at times to nail the length and loop diameters.  it all depends on the bow and the input ya get from the bow's owner.

that said, i agree that the bottom loop needs to fit snug within the lower limb nock.  if that bottom loop is too large, you can whip it smaller with dental floss, a strand from an older bowstring or just some heavy thread.  

or learn to make yer own bowstrings.  it's really not hard and once you understand the process you'll make great if not perfect strings every time - check the "how to - resources" forum!

a super easy way to make the *perfect* bowstring length every time is to twist up flemish string by only creating the larger top loop.  make the bowstring a good 4" to 6" longer than normal and do not make a bottom loop.  take the non-loop end and fasten it to the bottom limb with a bowyers knot.  start off by allowing the top of the top loop to be 2" to 3" below the top limb nock.  brace up and check the brace height.  either undo the bowyers knot to adjust the length and/or twist up or down the string.  when the brace height looks and feels right, serve the center section.  that's how i do believe it was done many centuries ago.    :cool:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14406 on: August 04, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
Looks to me the bottom limb loop needs a similar size loop as the top limb ON A HHA BOW.  My Dave Johnson has the same string ordered at the same time and it works fine.  It has bigger tips on the bow with a more distinctive notches.  I guess it depends on the bow.  But I believe on the bow in question I need either a tighter loop or much higher brace height to make than angle work.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14407 on: August 04, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brazos:
...  I guess it depends on the bow.  ...
for the best of loop fitting, both bottom and top, absolutely!

the single loop bowstring i described above is actually a tillering string.  it makes for a positive no-slip bottom "loop" that just works.

since the self bows, and bowstrings, of yore changed brace height and length with the ever changing environment, it would make no sense for the archers of medieval times to have twin loop bowstrings.  one loop would work out best of all, imho.  and it's extremely cheap and easy to make.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14408 on: August 04, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
My latest efforts.
need to tweak the quiver some, but it sure is working good right now. I like it.
Last winter at the Kalamazoo expo, I checked out a couple of Howard Hills personal Quivers, and that is what I am attempting to make. I talked with Turay this morning and he suggested a few things that I had forgot about(can't find my pics on this computer) and so I came home after Church and made some adjustments and it seems to be working better. Need to break it in now.
Thanks for looking,
I should point out that it looks long because it is. The arrows are almost 31" bop.

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Lambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14409 on: August 04, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
That's a fine lookin quiver, Chuck.
Bow looks real good.
Did you get into making American semi-longbows?

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14410 on: August 04, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Thank you Eric.
I did start to make and American longbow.
It is called the Echo, and I actualy brought the first one to the Great Lakes longbow Invitational this time last Aug to let a few guys shoot. I debut the bow to the public at the Kzoo expo last Jan.
Thank you.
CTT

http://www.twotracksbow.com/store/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=184
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14411 on: August 04, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Nice looking quiver Chuck, mine is about 25 or26 inches deep as my arrows are pretty long as well.  Sweet looking quiver buddy.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14412 on: August 04, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
That's where I am at Bob.
Thanks man.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Lambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14413 on: August 04, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Well that's great, Chuck!

I went over to your site and looked at em... they look real nice.

How'd you come up with the name, Echo?

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14414 on: August 04, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Eric, What's old is new again. I love the classic days of archery.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14415 on: August 04, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Chuck,Are you going to be making Shrew Hills for Ron now?

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14416 on: August 04, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Ron has mentioned it for sure Nick.
I am working hard to get the other models in full swing and the ShrewHill will be coming in time.
Thanks
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14417 on: August 05, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
I can speak for Chuck's "Echo".

I give it     :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:   !!!

The highest tribute and the best evidence I can give of my thoughts on the "Echo" is that once I got it in my hands, it stayed and is still here....lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14418 on: August 05, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brazos:
Ok I have a string question and never remember this being asked before, and yes I have read this whole thread.  So maybe we have something new to talk about and a few people can learn from.  The bow in question is a HHA bow I got new June of 2012.  I have always bought HHA strings.  Just called them up and say I need a string for my 68" bow, they sent one, all was well.  This past fall I decided to try out some of these FF strings all you guys rave about.  The first one I got I ordered too short though it was shootable so I dealt with it.  I got another one and the length was perfect.  I am have a new problem so here is my question.  The sting loop on the top limbs slips out of the string groove and if left alone will eventually pop loose completely.  I have noticed the top string loop on my custom string is much larger than the bottom string loop.  Seems to me if the top loop was smaller this would not happen.  My HHA strings the top and bottom string loops appear to be the same size and smaller than the custom string.  So what size of top limb loop should I ask for when ordering a custom string for a HHA bow?  This will be the third custom string for this bow in 9 months and am hoping to get this one right.
I make my loops as small as I can possibly make them.  The bottom loop is aboput the size of what would go around a pencil.  The top loop is just big enough to slide down the limb when unstrung.  My bows do have very small tips but I have found the smaller the loops the quieter the string.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14419 on: August 05, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Have a question I have been pondering on. Do bowyers have different versions of each of the grips they offer?  Or is it just something they change up from time to time?  I have a couple bows of the same model and one a deep very narrow grip and the other is not as deep and a bit thicker.  Nothing wrong either way just wondering.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©