3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133555 times)

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14420 on: August 05, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Two Tracks:
Ron has mentioned it for sure Nick.
I am working hard to get the other models in full swing and the ShrewHill will be coming in time.
Thanks
CTT
:thumbsup:   Great! It'll give me a little time to build the "bow fund" back up.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14421 on: August 05, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Goshawkin:

I am working hard to get the other models in full swing and the ShrewHill will be coming in time.
Thanks
CTT
:thumbsup:    Great! It'll give me a little time to build the "bow fund" back up. [/b]
X2

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14422 on: August 05, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
I feel your a 100% right Two4hooking, larger loops just cause headache's ( in more ways then one )....James

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14423 on: August 05, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
How many of you guys shoot Hill bows in the Hill style as described in the John Shulz video ?
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14424 on: August 05, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
I would say I use pretty much everything in John's video with one exception - I hold at anchor.

Wish I had his timing and accuracy.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14425 on: August 05, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanks
CTT
I am glad to hear the ShrewHill will be coming along. I had stumbled upon it on Rons site and had my heart set on one. I just found out they were no longer being made.

I will be waiting for the Shrewhill to come back, I can see a Osage and walnut one heading my way.

But since I had already been bitten by the bug I picked up a HH Big Five from the classified section.  :bigsmyl:

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14426 on: August 06, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »
Has anyone shot one of these bows? The bowyer says he makes a bow similar to John Schulz. He gets $535.00 plus $25.00 if you want Koa.
 http://jetarchery.com/
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14427 on: August 06, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »
Never heard of this guy but, his bows sure do look nice! I'd give him a try if funds were available.   :rolleyes:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14428 on: August 06, 2013, 03:44:00 AM »
As soon as I sell a bow or two I'm going to try one. His bows do look good. I talked to a guy that shot one and he said it was the best shooting straight D type bow he ever shot. I hope to find out.
"River from above"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14429 on: August 06, 2013, 04:09:00 AM »
That's great! Look forward to hearing your thoughts and shooting experience with one. I'm interested in the "Buckshot" bow.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14430 on: August 06, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »
That's the one I am interested in too. I hope you can get you one sometime soon. I am going to sell one of my Hill bows to help fund one.
"River from above"

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14431 on: August 06, 2013, 06:22:00 AM »
I saw Jet at Sawmill but didn't get a chance to shoot any, but He'll be at the Shade Mtn. shoot next month so I'll definitely give a few of his bows a try.
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14432 on: August 06, 2013, 06:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
How many of you guys shoot Hill bows in the Hill style as described in the John Shulz video ?
I do my best to emulate John's shooting style.  I don't hold at anchor.  It takes a lot of practice and patience.  John and his brother were undoubtedly drilled hard by Howard.  In the video you can see that he instilled that same practice makes perfect work ethic in his son.  That kid could flat out shoot.  

Are you trying to shoot this style?  If so what, if any issues are you having with it?
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14433 on: August 06, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by beaver#1:
Have a question I have been pondering on. Do bowyers have different versions of each of the grips they offer?  Or is it just something they change up from time to time?  I have a couple bows of the same model and one a deep very narrow grip and the other is not as deep and a bit thicker.  Nothing wrong either way just wondering.
Beaver, Ive had two different straight grip HH. They were just like you described. Prefer the deep narrow grip. The other wasn't too bad either.   :p
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14434 on: August 06, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
Not sure I am willing to pay that much to an unknown bowyer that name drops John Schulz, yet cannot spell it properly on his website.

Especially when one can pick up used John Schulz made bows at a fraction of that cost on the market.

I shot his bows at Baltimore.  I liked the slim handle design and his bows shot ok.  I was not crazy about the finish work on a few I saw at the table.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14435 on: August 06, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Well, Cahaba, you asked.....I shot his bow at Baltimore and I can only remember one longbow that had more hand shock and it was my Pearson Ol' Ben 5000. Two arrows sufficed for me. He claims to have "broken the code" on building longbows. But I realize that somebody else may find a totally different experience with them and if they float your boat that's great. In my personal opinion, it did not measure up to any of my many Hill and "Hill style" longbows--Schulz, Hills, Northern Mists, Talon, Dave Wallace, Fred Andersons, etc. And he was asking $650 at that time and I felt that was a bit steep for an unknown bow maker.  I guess he has lowered the price since I talked with him as they were $535 at Denton Hill. He clearly has talent and I hope he continues to improve on his design.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14436 on: August 06, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Thanks yall. You saved me some money at least till I can shoot one and see if it "fits" me.
He said he was going to be at Tannehill. It's right down the road from me and I had planned on checking them out there.
I sure wish I could find one of John's bows that cheap. All I have seen was expensive for used but they are probably worth it.
"River from above"

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14437 on: August 06, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
I don't have to go into work today until noon,so I shot a few bows this morning. They looked good in the sun,so I took a phone pic.
Both are Timberlines. Bamboo with the dark riser is a "The Safari" 66" 55#@27". The other is an all yew,"Yew Bet" 64" 56#@27"

Both bows were right on the money. Just realised all the stuff in this pic came from Tradgang. Bought the bow(both of them) from MikeBiz,the Hushpuppies from Terry and traded with Brianlocal for the arrows!
Thanks Tradgang!    :thumbsup:  

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14438 on: August 06, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
I DID SHOOT them at ETAR.  I was very pleasantly surprised by the smoothness and the "snap" from even the lightest of his bows there.  Now, y'all have to remember, I'm kinda new at this Hill style bow, and am stoked about them in general, but have no long term shooting history with this style, so my critique isn't as valid as you all with a long shooting history with this style bow.  But now I have shot a few different HHA bows (did as many as I could at ETAR) - and I liked the Joel's Jet bows enough to order one!  SO, I say try 'em!  I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF MY ASSESSMENT OF HIS BOWS is valid.
One note:  if Joel Templin's (Jet Archery)bows and integrity are as fine as my impression with his young son, who, was very courteous, respectful, and quite the fine young man that any of us would be proud to have as a son, at ETAR (he hadn't met me at Joel's booth - I met him shooting on the range there and recognized his bow)and btw was a GREAT shot - even at aerials (geez he hit 'em quite easily) then Joel's bows will be favorites of lots of people!
I am definitely anticipating enjoying mine!

Originally posted by cahaba:
Has anyone shot one of these bows? The bowyer says he makes a bow similar to John Schulz. He gets $535.00 plus $25.00 if you want Koa.
  http://jetarchery.com/  
Linwood

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14439 on: August 06, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
I am also shooting the Hill style.  I used to be quite static and had a bad problem with TP and collapsing.

I have been using the Schulz video as a model and have been getting "internet coaching" by sharing my form videos on photobucket with a few folks from this forum that really know that style.  

I am looking forward to this hunting season!  I am more confident now than I have ever been in my life.  I spend 99% of my practice time now on blank bale shooting and working on form.  I keep learning new improvements constantly and most have been spelled out in the video, I was just too hard headed and ingrained in bad habits to realize it until I concentrated soley on form.

There are not that many folks fluent in this style so treat that Schulz video as Gospel....and read everything you can from Hill or his students.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©