3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133560 times)

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14440 on: August 06, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
I stopped by the Jet Archery both at ETAR. While I did not shoot one, his workmanship looked impeccable.  Definitely worth trying for the price.
TommyBoy

« Reply #14441 on: August 06, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
In John's book the chapter titled "Hold it? your wrong", says it all. It is where the shooting style and the longbow come together. Every game animal that I missed, I was trying to hold it.  Everyone I hit, I did not.  I had a thing going in my head for a while, where I thought that I needed to slow it all down and lock in my anchor, to shoot tighter groups. I think that longer holding is what injured my release fingers. When one hunts on the sneak like I do most of the time, game animals tend to not wait around to see how tight of a group you can shoot.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14442 on: August 06, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by cahaba:
Has anyone shot one of these bows? The bowyer says he makes a bow similar to John Schulz. He gets $535.00 plus $25.00 if you want Koa.
  http://jetarchery.com/  
I just looked at the website. Looks like he does nice work. Only one way to find out if you like how it shoots.I've shot bows that guys have said were the best and wasn't all that impressed.Shot others that didn't have a big reputation and they shot great! Ya never know until you try it for yourself.

Offline False Cast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14443 on: August 06, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
Mr. Templin and his Jet bows will be at the Great Lakes Longbow Invitational this weekend. I've been planning on checking them out. They look nice on his site but I'm somewhat skeptical of his "unlocking the secrets" of the Hill-style. The proof will be in the pudding, however. I'll form my opinion when I put some arrows through his bows and have one in my hands.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14444 on: August 06, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
Yes, I will definitely wait for further reviews before acting on something like this. I'd prefer a bowyer who has been a round a little longer and has a good reputation built up. I have no way of trying before buying so, have to go on the thoughts of others most of the time.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14445 on: August 06, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Agree, think long..........think wrong!!!

All you have to do is concentrate on picking a SMALL spot, get to anchor and release.  Good shooting is more about a tuned arrow and a consistent grip and draw.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14446 on: August 06, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Those Jet bows do look nice!  Does anyone own one?  What do you think?

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14447 on: August 06, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
He was at Comptons and though I didn't shoot them they sure were good lookers. Guys came by that had been shooting and they sure had rave reviews. He has quite the impressive accomplishments with big game and an HH bow

Time will tell on the rest of his story but they did look nice and the price was right.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14448 on: August 06, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
He was at Comptons and though I didn't shoot them they sure were good lookers. Guys came by that had been shooting and they sure had rave reviews. He has quite the impressive accomplishments with big game and an HH bow

Time will tell on the rest of his story but they did look nice and the price was right.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14449 on: August 06, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Linwood,
Thank you for your first hand account review of the Jet bows. Although as you say you have not been shooting the style long, you do know what feels good to you and what does not.  I know I appreciate your comments.
With that said, I have found my bower of choice in JD Berry and his longbows. For ME they are the best I have tried, and like many others here I have tried alot of them. So where I will say (and I do alot to those who ask) that JD Berry's are phenominal and everyone should try one, not everyone will feel the same as I do depending on their own personal preferences.  
I am glad to see this guy and his company, because as American Longbow shooters we have seen some great bowers and products arise and varity is the spice of life, so one mans perfect may not be anothers but there are plenty to choose from.

I will say though, that the name dropping and the infomercial like statements of "unlocking the secrets to the Shultz/Hill longbow" are off putting for me, but not enough for me to write him off.  I just find it to be very bold statement, but then again Im sure he feels that he has mastered the perfect longbow so good on him for having so much confidence in his product.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline False Cast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14450 on: August 06, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
I'm going to bring my bow with me to the GLLI shoot this weekend so I'll compare the Jet bows side-by-side with my Schulz. I'm not in the market for a bow but I'm anxious to see if the Jets are all that the bowyer says they are.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14451 on: August 06, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
Please provide in depth detail on you thoughts!   :D

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14452 on: August 07, 2013, 02:12:00 AM »
I am in need of some arrow advice. I just received a 69" HH Red Hawk and want to shoot some Surewood shafts tipped with 135gr. Ribtek broadheads. Bow is approx. 49# @ 28" and has a FF string on it. What spine arrow shaft and what length B.O.P.? Thanks in advance.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14453 on: August 07, 2013, 03:46:00 AM »
Wannabe1 I am shooting a HalfBreed 50# 28" BOP with 160 gr. heads and 55/60s fly perfect.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14454 on: August 07, 2013, 04:54:00 AM »
TW - I draw 28" and was shooting 29" 50-55#'s through her w/125 grains up front.  Hope this helps.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14455 on: August 07, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:
Especially when one can pick up used John Schulz made bows at a fraction of that cost on the market.
Alright two4hooking.  I would love to know where your finding genuine Schulz bows for a fraction of the $550-$600 mark.  Are you holding out on us?  You're doing a real good job of keeping this Schulz treasure trove a secret.   :D

As far as the JET Archery bows go, I hope that Mr. Templin has success in this business.  I'm sure it's tough as hell to break into the longbow market.  Especially a niche like the American Semi-Long with such storied bowyers as Hill and Schulz.  Not to mention the current talents that have such fine reputations already established.  Best of luck to him.  He's located in eastern PA, so I would love to see a guy building a fine Hill-style bow in my neck of the woods.  

However, I hope he relies more on his skill as a bowyer than his sales pitch techniques.  I understand that a business owner must sell his product, but there's a certain decorum that one should follow.  Using the John Schulz and John Lee names better be followed up with an exceptional product.  Now David Miller, a Schulz trained bowyer, uses these names on his website when describing his study of the concave/convex limb design.  Those two men were in instrumental in his understanding of the technique.  Mentioning their contribution is a great gesture. And we know that David's bows measure up to the Schulz and Lee bows.  

One last thing. Giving Mr. Schulz his due respect by spelling his name correctly is a must.  Especially on a website that's using his name for marketing purposes.  It's a professional courtesy if nothing else.  So, it's SCHULZ everyone:
S. C. H. U. L. Z.  
To be honest I get really annoyed with all of the misspellings of this name floating around the web.  It's really not that hard to spell. :banghead:
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14456 on: August 07, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
Those used Schulz are out there if you know what to look for.  My friend Mike just picked one up on the big auction site for $450 plus shipping.  The best deals are on the unsigned bows.  Study John's handwriting and limb tips, then when you think you found one call Craig with the serial # to verify.

Mike's tembo was listed 4 times without a bid. My redman was had for about $500 after deducting the quiver and arrows it came with.  They are out there.

I bet they will be a lot harder to find now that I wrote this though.

btw....there is a 101# lefty for sale right now!

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14457 on: August 07, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Thanks two4hooking. Appreciate the info.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14458 on: August 07, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
In John's book the chapter titled "Hold it? your wrong", says it all. It is where the shooting style and the longbow come together. Every game animal that I missed, I was trying to hold it.  Everyone I hit, I did not.  I had a thing going in my head for a while, where I thought that I needed to slow it all down and lock in my anchor, to shoot tighter groups. I think that longer holding is what injured my release fingers. When one hunts on the sneak like I do most of the time, game animals tend to not wait around to see how tight of a group you can shoot.
What exactly did he mean by this or what did he say in his book? Did he mean to never stop and hold your aim on the spot your trying to hit?

Just trying to Hit em like Howard Hill. -Aaron

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14459 on: August 07, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©