3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133520 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14460 on: August 07, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14461 on: August 07, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:

btw....there is a 101# lefty for sale right now!
Yep. I made an offer on it that I thought was reasonable since a 101lb bow will not get shot much, if at all. Seller didn't even reply so I guess he/she thought it was not reasonable. If I got it, it would be a display piece and not a shooter for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

« Reply #14462 on: August 07, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
I should get that heavy lefty, it would go well with my heavy pignut.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14463 on: August 07, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
I emailed Jet and made him aware that whoever built his website misspelled Mr. Schulz name.
I don't like to see his name spelled wrong or anything else either. But that wouldn't stop me from buying a bow if it is that good either. I wish Joel good success in his business.

Update: Mr.Schulz name is spelled correctly now.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14464 on: August 07, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
If everything goes as planned I'll be able to give you a 1st hand account of Jett Archery's stringfollow "Jaguar".

I look forward to putting it through it's paces.

If it shoots as good as it looks...it'll be a winner.

I have seen very few bows that pictures did justice. If the same holds true for Joel's bows I'm in for a treat...

I love traditional archery eye candy but even more so if it does it's job well...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14465 on: August 07, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
I looked the site over and thought it was cool. He really only has good things to say about John Shulz and he could not find a bow to that standard so he started making them. Cool.
  for the record I would give a purty penny for a Shulz in my lb range.RC

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14466 on: August 07, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
X2 RC
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14467 on: August 07, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChiefStingingArrow:
What exactly did he mean by this or what did he say in his book? Did he mean to never stop and hold your aim on the spot your trying to hit?

Just trying to Hit em like Howard Hill. -Aaron
This comes from John's second book,   Straight Shooting.  Chapter 12 "Hold It? - You're Wrong" is all about how the static, draw to anchor, hold, aim and release shooting style employed by target archers and those who shoot bows with sights, isn't effective in most hunting situations.  He feels that holding at anchor for any period of time can allow for a slew of distractions to cause a poor shot.  Anything from a deer flicking its tail to the wind blowing the leaves could distract the shooter that split second it takes to miss the shot.

He states that his idols, like the Thompson brothers, Pope and Young and Howard hunted with a fluid style that allowed them to take a wide variety of game animals.  Some of these men were also accomplished target archers, but they did not use the static target style when they were hunting.  It just doesn't work.  That's why John always reiterates Howard's words to him:  ". . . make up your mind what you want to do, hunt or shoot target, because the two just don't go together."
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Hank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14468 on: August 07, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I was at Kalamazoo last winter and John Lee, David Miller and Joel Templin were all together in that center display area in the older section of the building -- that is like Hill Central.

I approached John Lee to ask him about Hill bow design, he pointed me towards David Miller and Joel Templin, he said that those were the guys to ask, they knew what they were doing.

Spent a lot of time talking with David Miller, I didn't know who Joel was. I did over hear him telling a guy that if he can teach a guy to draw a bow properly, he could have him pulling 70 lbs in a short time.

What I did get from him is that he was knowledgeable and a serious Hill style person. Hope he is there again next year, I want to ask about his bamboo.

I had a Zebra Longbow with me that was one of Louie's personal bows, they wanted to see it to check it out. Steve Turay got it and is building me a bow for it.
Remember, if you walk a mile in someone's shoes, you will be a mile away and have their shoes.

Online ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14469 on: August 07, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks Mikebiz

so....is it goog to learn the fluid draw from the start or should you start out learning to draw anchor slow?

I love Howard and John style of shooting....there is nothing better than watching those guys shoot....If you could put their shooting to music they would make the most beautiful music an archer could make!

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14470 on: August 07, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Hank ...

John Lee and Miller in the same room is cool stuff for the longbow fiend ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14471 on: August 07, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by mikebiz:
 That's why John always reiterates Howard's words to him:  ". . . make up your mind what you want to do, hunt or shoot target, because the two just don't go together."
That statement always comes up when guys discuss Howard's shooting method.Was he an instinctive shot or did he use his "split vision " method.I think Howard was talking about the style and speed of the shot,that a formal  upright target  stance and a long hold while aiming at anchor just doesn't work out too well while hunting.Myself,I think Howard saw and used the arrow in his sight picture to aim and got to a point where he was very fast to get his arrow on the right spot before he let her go.

Offline Lambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14472 on: August 07, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
I undersatand that Hill tought the split vision aiming method in his book "Hunting the Hard way"
and said he used that method in hunting... but also stated in a few of his hunting related story's about shooting a particular game animal by instinct.

I find it strange with all that Hill tought the Schulz boys, (John & Dan) from how to shoot (form) to bow building and hunting, that he never even mentioned the split vision method of aiming to them.

Hill also tought them to shoot with a dead release, while he himself, shot with a more fluid pull-through release.

Hank, are you saying that you traded your Louie bow to Steve Turay, for a bow of his making?

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14473 on: August 08, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
THANKS FOR THIS!  It seems that Joel Templin is, tho' unknown, quite knowledgeable and an able student of the revered. Now I'm even more stoked about the bow I've ordered from him!

Thanks so much too, for all of you all allowing me to "lurk" around here and learn from you.  Please keep 'em coming!  I hope my shooting will be worthy of your teaching, and the deer that get in my way.  

Originally posted by Hank:
I was at Kalamazoo last winter and John Lee, David Miller and Joel Templin were all together in that center display area in the older section of the building -- that is like Hill Central.

I approached John Lee to ask him about Hill bow design, he pointed me towards David Miller and Joel Templin, he said that those were the guys to ask, they knew what they were doing.

Spent a lot of time talking with David Miller, I didn't know who Joel was. I did over hear him telling a guy that if he can teach a guy to draw a bow properly, he could have him pulling 70 lbs in a short time.

What I did get from him is that he was knowledgeable and a serious Hill style person. Hope he is there again next year, I want to ask about his bamboo.

I had a Zebra Longbow with me that was one of Louie's personal bows, they wanted to see it to check it out. Steve Turay got it and is building me a bow for it.
Linwood

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14474 on: August 08, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
I'll check out Jet this weekend too.

Howard shot for a living.  Hours and hours behind a longbow. Talent, hard work! I think at some point he probably could shoot aspirin out of the air in his sleep. Shooting with his form is awesome when it all works out, and he had form down to a science.  So now assume your form was that good and then you could work only on aiming!!!  It's a dream, right?  How much arrow drop do you get with a 70#+ bow? NOT A LOT! Byron says he doesn't get any target anticipation (target panic).  He said it seems like most folks have some.  I'd say he's right or there would be a lot more Howards out there. I would be surprised if Howard really had to think about aiming much. He was an amazing talent and a few we're lucky to learn to do it his way, like Schulz, directly from Howard. What a great video Schulz gave us to analyze.  It is curious how he doesn't mention split vision.  Think of all the best athletes, most probably can't really explain how they do what they do. That's probably why there are some conflicting statements and stories about his process.  We can only strive....

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14475 on: August 08, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »
I agree Overspined.  I would imagine that after shooting tens of thousands of arrows things just happen.  The body and mind become one and there is no thought process going on.  A switch is turned and everything around you disappears.  It's just you and the target.  Focus 100% and target panic disappears.  Couple this with a quick draw and release style and there's just no time to be distracted.  I don't believe there is any "true" aiming.  It's more like point and shoot.    

I think the biggest challenge would be distance estimation.  After countless hours of practice that too becomes automatic.  What do you get?  Dead game, dimpled dimes and bulls-eyes on the target field.  You can call it instinct.  And we can argue over whether or not "muscle memory" is real (I think it is).  The bottom line is that one must commit an unfathomable amount of time to his craft before mind and body merge to perfect the skill.  Unfortunately, do any of us have that time to devote.  That would be a dream    :)  

Hey Lambow, good catch on Howard's release versus what he taught the Schulz boys.  Maybe this is a case of to each his own in the style.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14476 on: August 08, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
I do not know Mr. Templin, but he may of taken a bow building class with David Miller if so he indeed has unlocked the secret as David teaches exactly what John Schulz taught him! I see he sells Bamboo from Bamboo & Rattan works so that is where a lot of the good stuff came from you just have to understand and know how to pick the correct pieces for building laminations.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14477 on: August 08, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
Not to change the subject, but I found this sticking out of the end of a box yesterday.........

Wonder how the lady at the P.O. knew what was inside?

ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14478 on: August 08, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
That is awesome Rob, congrats!!!
Thom

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14479 on: August 08, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©