3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133479 times)

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14520 on: August 09, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
I picked up a HH in trade that I sure like!

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14521 on: August 09, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Moots, how about some specs?  Other than takedown, double shelf, what are we looking at?  (Other than awesomeness?)

Dave, looks like the blank is working out for you nicely.  Good choices!  How close is the weight working out?  I remember that I asked for 55# on my blank, and after I finished it the first time I think I was at 63 or 64.  Apparently Craig expected more sanding....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14522 on: August 09, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
Ross, thanks, I agree with the pointing part. Something about a small grip just gives me a better feel. The only way I can explain it is like the difference between the hand control you feel throwing a baseball vs. a softball. For me smaller is much better.I like em thin and narrow, belly to back.( no pun intended )     :D    

Dave, Not bad really, my scale reads 50 lb but the bow feels more like 48 lb which is perfect. I wanted this bow 50 or under and so I'm happy.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14523 on: August 09, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
The more I shoot and make bows, the more I like colored glass on Hill style bows.  It's not that I don't like wood under clear, but with such a narrow limb, it just looks like at least one side should be colored. The wider limb bows show off more wood and seem like they are more fit for clear glass in general. Also, it's easier to see what you are doing with colored glass...when you are a perfectionist...

I've seen a bunch of bows start out with beautiful faces of wood, only to end up 1" wide at the fades and lose the character some pieces carry initially. That Hill Montana dual shelf T/D has some easily seen beautiful markings in the wood.  Really cool.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14524 on: August 09, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Timberking, I'm glad you gave it a chance. Any new bow can be tough to get used to until you "live" with it for a while.  I believe once you can get the hang of shooting a Hill bow with a straight or dished grip, you'll be able to pick up any bow and figure it out in a few shots. Curves, R/D, you'll find they are easy to figure out because the Hill bows demand a correct grip to enjoy them.  You'll start to notice how a bow wants to be held just by the feel and kick of the shot.  High wrist, low, it will start to really be a game of feel and they will all shoot about equally great groups. But there's something to a true longbow that screams traditional.

Originally posted by Timberking:
Ok, I've been following this thread for a bit now. Reading back as far as I can and just enjoying it in general. I received a Howard Hill "Wesley special" on trade a couple of months ago and to be honest I wasn't really happy with it. It was heavier than I was used to and thought it uncomfortable to shoot not to mention shooting WAY off from the Widow I was shooting. So I put it up for trade on the classifieds. No one was interested, nary a nibble. So it went for a bit more then I put it for sale. A few guy's asked questions but no takers... Flash forward to a few weeks ago and I thought I will give this bow 2 weeks shoot it and only it for those 2 weeks and see what I think of it then and see how it all goes. After all I'm a big Howard Hill fan and it wasn't right to just give up on it.  Well now all I have to say is that this bow is staying right here with me! I can now draw this bow like nothing. It's 61@27 and I was used to 53 doesn't sound like much but to me it was. The bow is 64" and has some string follow built in.  The bow is AWESOME! Shoots where I look and is sooooooooo much lighter in the hand than the Widow takedown LAG I was shooting. I am also enjoying the extra "whump" of the eight extra pounds. I can't believe I almost gave up this beauty!!!!  Consider me part of your brotherhood fellas. I'm here to stay    :)  

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14525 on: August 09, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Moots, good trade for sure. Beutiful bow, what wood is that pecan or some kind of fruit wood? Congrats   :thumbsup:
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14526 on: August 09, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
The specs on my HH Montana are 70" and 50# @ 27".  I have a 30 1/2" draw.

Four laminations of "lamboo," a carbon lamination on the back, highly figured bocote lamination on the belly, bocote riser, bone ivory tips, kangaroo leather on the grip.

It is a great shooter, and nice to look at.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14527 on: August 09, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
What are your thoughts on the carbon? Do you have solid comparator(s)?

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14528 on: August 09, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
I don't know Overspined, but I sure like how it shoots.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14529 on: August 10, 2013, 12:35:00 AM »
Moots, That's a good length bow for your draw. Sounds like a great shooter and interesting with the carbon addition and universal with the dual shelf and take down......better hang on to that one!   :)
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14530 on: August 10, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
So earlier posts had me thinking and I tried to find my point on distance today at our shoot on the longest field target.  It seems to be about 75 yds with my current setup.  Maybe plus or minus a few because my accuracy and consistency is a little challenged at that range. (My first attempt at point on at 55 yds sent me looking in the woods for arrow that went clean over the target.)

Another thing I noticed: point on is hard for me.  I'm looking at the target, and the point is a blur.  Actually two blurs.  So when is it actually on the center of the target?  Don't know for sure.  Now to decide if I care....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14531 on: August 10, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
That Montana is gorgeous Moots!  Dual shelf and take down to boot.  Got everything a man could need all in one bow.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14532 on: August 10, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
Green, What are the specs on your Wildcat. And what ever happened to Jerry hill? Don't hear or see to much about him. Watched him trick shooting on film, that man could shoot. Must have been in his blood.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14533 on: August 10, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Recently picked up another Pete George Timberline. Had a deep locator grip and I changed it to straight.
It's a "Midas" 66" 52#@26" Yew lams,clear glass back and brown glass belly. Not sure of the riser woods,looks like cocobolo and zebra wood with a white glass stripe.Zebrawood riser overlay.Great looking and shooting bow.Has some scratches and small dings.I think I'm going to send this one out for a 2 part epoxy refinish job. Here's a before and after pic of the grip.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14534 on: August 10, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
David - the bow's 68" and rated 54@28", but we recently put it on a scale and it weighs 56#.  With its' backset and a D10 string, this bow makes me happy.

I sent it off to a friend who is putting FF compatible tip overlays, and doing a complete refinish, including new leather.  She should be home later this week and I can't wait. I'll post up new pics when available.

It was written (possibly earlier in this thread) that Jerry suffered a stroke about a year ago and is unable to communicate.  Serial # on my bow is pretty low, and there's one on the auction site now that's just a shade older than mine, and I'd like to find out what year they were made.  I wish someone could get hold of Jerry's records to be able to answer future questions.

Goshawkin - once again, very nice work.  My order of Apoxie Putty arrived yesterday and I plan on making a straight grip of the locator on my Wesley pretty soon.  Thanks for the info!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14535 on: August 10, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Thanks Green.  My Montana does have some bells and whistles.

Goshawkin, the straight grip looks great on that Pete Geoge Timberline.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14536 on: August 10, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
That looks much better, Nice job on the grip Nick.   :thumbsup:
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14537 on: August 10, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Great job Nick it really looks good, I glad it went to somebody who will appreciate it. Ron.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14538 on: August 10, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Gentlemen, could I get your opinion?  Today at the Great Lakes Longbow Invitational I shot a Northern Mist Classic.  Loved it.  Curious thing is it has a unique finish, RED stained Maple veneers under clear glass.

I kinda liked it.  Different.  Wondered if any of you own bows with a similar finish or have seen them, and your thoughts on this unique look.

Going back tomorrow to possibly buy it.  Still need to try the Two Tracks Echo, as well tomorrow.  Today was quite busy as I had the kids and my wife with me...tomorrow is solo.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14539 on: August 10, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
I finally had an opportunity to shoot a Howard Hill Crocodile and Howard Hill Wesley special yesterday. I was absolutely impressed. I typically shoot 40-45# due to a wrist injury, but was shooting the 65# Wesley special (10 pounds heavier than I have ever shot) with no problems at all. Both it and the 55# crocodile were incredibly pleasant to shoot! I'm officially hooked! I can see in the foreseeable future easily shooting 75-80# without much difficulty if I train up to it!

I plan on purchasing a 45-50# hill style bow within the next few weeks. I am curious though the advantages of say the Wesley special over a Tembo? Do those extra two laminations really make a difference?  I am kinda tight on funds, so don't want to have to pay an extra $50 bucks if the feel is similar! Any input would be awesome! Thanks.

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©