3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133413 times)

Online hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14580 on: August 12, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Sounds just like the Big Five I just picked up.  :D

Offline Ron Nepini

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14581 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Need to see some pictures, because a picture is worth a thousand words.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14582 on: August 12, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
At that length and weight that'll be one SMOOTH drawing bow!

I really like the HHA rust coloured grips too, sets off most bow woods very nicely.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14583 on: August 12, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
While awaiting the new Jet Bow I wondered if anyone here has a copy of John Schulz's book for sale, that I read about in these pages?  I've never seen it but am interested.  Thanks!
Linwood

« Reply #14584 on: August 13, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
I had Hill Razorback here for a few days. It had a straight grip that had the typical bulbous look of the Kramer bows, but this one had a nice asymmetrical shape that fit right into the hand with no conscious holding effort needed at all.  Plus the bow hung dead on target after the release, and thanks to Overspine's string had no hand shock at all. I would like to have copied it. I should have taken some pictures and measurements before I gave it to the kid.  He said that he kicked his dad's butt at a shoot with it. His dad was shooting my son's old Mcdonald and is thinking that the reverse handle gave the kid an advantage.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14585 on: August 13, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Linwood, there are two books written by John Schulz.  Unfortunately, they are both out of print, but can be found for sale from time to time on the web.  

The first book was "Hitting 'em Like Howard Hill 1975, reprinted in 1979.  There is also a video he filmed which basically follows the book as far as shooting form goes.  Released on VHS tape and apparently some CD/DVD versions are floating around, but rare.  Both are great resources. Thankfully, the video has been posted on youtube in four parts if you search for John Schultz.  Yes spelled wrong, but that's where you'll find it.  

The second book, "Straight Shooting" (2002) is more of a collection of stories about John's hunting and shooting exploits.  Again another great read if you can find a copy.  

I was lucky enough to find both in great condition and they are fine additions to my Howard Hill library collection.

"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14586 on: August 14, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
What makes an arrow shoot PERFECT with the cock feather in but the same shaft wabbles all the way to the target with 4 fletch on the 90. I had the same results with broadheads.  

I'll be shooting cockfeAthe in for sure. Just wondering.....?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14587 on: August 15, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
This Hill bug thread sat a long time before I clicked on it when it first appeared. After looking and reading the bug kinda bit me. I bought a Big Five from David Mitchell on the classifieds. What a nice quiet bow. That led to me contacting and ordering a Dave Johnson. An equally nice bow with a bit more thrust than my SF Big 5. Not as quiet as the Big 5 though, but still quiet. I found out Mike Ballenger of 7 Lakes Longbows was making a Carolina Night Hill style bow. I contacted Mike and also got to see one of his slender CN SF bows at the CTA State shoot back in 2012. That got my attention too.

I went on the Hill Hog Hunt in Ga and saw one of Howard's bows. I love the dimensions and asked Mike of 7 Lakes, since he's only about 40 miles from me, if he'd be willing to work with me to duplicate the bow as best as I could remember. The handle was deeper and fit my hand wonderfully. Mike worked meticulously with me and contacted me when he questioned my desires to make sure he got it the way I wanted. From the Hill Big 5 to the Dave Johnson to holding the true Hill bow in Georgia I, through Hill style growth and this thread and all the Hill insight within, found out what I needed in a Hill style bow.

The growth also involves shooting. Reading and applying what's been read, viewing videos and applying what's been seen including Mr. Hill's videos of him shooting. We each have our own style even if trying to shoot like or as well as possible as Mr. Hill. No one can be like him in my mind.

Of the three of my Hill style bows none are better than the other. And equally none have lesser qualities in craftsmanship from their bowyers.

This brings all my rambling above to this:

There are other Hill styles I will buy and try. I am not finished seeking out as many Hill bows as possible and shooting or even buying them. Like Mr. Hill said, he was born with a notion to "go and seek." So am I with this bug.

Thanks to all the Hill style bowyers out there that keep the American Semi-Longbow passion alive and well.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14588 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Well said Bud.     :thumbsup:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Linwood Hines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14589 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
THANK YOU MIKE!!!  I recognized the Schulz book - and found a copy in my attic (dumb place to keep books).  Now re reading!  I'd like to find the HH book too (hint, if anyone has one for sale).  I also received Charlie Lamb's book - that one is GREAT!  I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks for the info!
You're really keeping my stoke going -and btw:  the HHA Scirocco is still a little stiff for me - but it's getting easier!  Now I don't know if I'd want to let it go....
Linwood

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14590 on: August 15, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Bud don't forget to get a JD Berry!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14591 on: August 15, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Ok, for those of you who actually hunt with a Hill/Hill style back quiver, how many arrows do you normally carry while on a hunt? I want another one but, I usually only hunt one day at a time, rarely going longer than two days out. So, I carry normally 3 - 4 hunting arrows and one with a Judo. Seems like a large quiver for so few arrows.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14592 on: August 15, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blaino:
What makes an arrow shoot PERFECT with the cock feather in but the same shaft wabbles all the way to the target with 4 fletch on the 90. I had the same results with broadheads.  

I'll be shooting cockfeAthe in for sure. Just wondering.....?
I am RH and shoot RW feathers. I shoot cock feather in on all my longbows. I think it just depends on how your arrow bends upon release as it goes through paradox.  If feather or shaft contacts your bow and you get bad arrow flight, spin it and try cock feather in.  It doesn't really matter if it works.  

Wannabe, I carry 6 broadheads with a back quiver and maybe a judo.  I made a smaller hill style quiver for that reason as you don't need such a big quiver for so few arrows.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14593 on: August 15, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
I usually carry 4 or 5 broadhead arrows and another 5 or 6 blunts.  I love to shoot at deer while squirrel hunting.   :bigsmyl:

I also don't like Judos out opf my back quiver for they have a tendancy to pull other arrows out when I want a quick shot.  I use smooth blunts and more recently .38 casings (sometimes with a nail in the primer hole cut to a short point for squirrel).

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14594 on: August 15, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
 I love to shoot at deer while squirrel hunting. [bigsmyl]
Now that's funny right there!   :biglaugh:

To bad HHA didn't make a smaller diameter version of their quiver.   :rolleyes:

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14595 on: August 15, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
The large size is one of the best things about a back quiver IMO.

Here is a pic of my .38 point:

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14596 on: August 15, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
I found the Judos to be a pain also. When I draw one, it wants to pull up others with it. I like the .38 casing head! Looks like it would do the trick nicely.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14597 on: August 15, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
two4hooking- Do you shoot lighter spine arrows with the .38 blunts or add weight somehow?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14598 on: August 15, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Wannabe1, That's all I carry when i hunt from home.Four arrows will do it.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14599 on: August 15, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Wannabe1, That's all I carry when i hunt from home.Four arrows will do it.
Yes, but are you carrring them in a Hill size quiver?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©