3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 133313 times)

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #14740 on: August 26, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Centaur - I'll be chasing elk too, Sept 13-28 in SW MT with my new 68 inch Shelton, 64@29.  I don't have any good pictures, but Steve did a really nice job, black back, white belly glass, and rosewood riser.  I'm shooting 2216's out of it (hey what can I say, they shoot GREAT!) and big Snuffers, of course. I'll use the same setup for whitetails this fall here in Indiana, and on my farm in Missouri (first year hunting my own place!).

Have fun...

R

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14741 on: August 26, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
If all goes as planned, ill be chasing whitetail, Turks and yotes with one of my Berry bows. Ill be shooting beman ICS 500s with 175 VPA terminators from the Morningstar and 3 rivers cedars with zwicky no mercys from the vixen.  
I don't know what arrows the new Northstar will like
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14742 on: August 27, 2013, 03:06:00 AM »
Thanks, Brian & Andrew. I am having a good time with this bow!
Chuck

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14743 on: August 27, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by akbowbender:
My new-to-me Dave Johnson came today:

Bowboy_ar (Jason Luper) mailed it Friday. Not too bad for a shipment to Alaska!

The bow is named "Whitetail Magic", and is 66" 51#@28",  though it's specs have the weight as 43#@27". I haven't scaled it myself, but it feels the same as my Misty Dawn, which is 66" 51#@28".

The grip is 2" deep, which is an 1/8" deeper than my NM Classic and Misty Dawn. You wouldn't think an 1/8" would make much of a difference, but does fill my hand perfectly.

I've only shot a few arrows so far, but I think it's a keeper!
Very nice Chuck. I own your bows bigger brother,"Moose". Dave's bows are keepers for sure.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14744 on: August 27, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Another TradGanger had his DJ bow scale heavier than marked as well, by about 5# as I recall. I have had that happen on three Howard Hill bows but the last two I have checked--one I ordered for myself and the other one a friend just got--scaled right on the money as marked. Hope the issues has been corrected.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14745 on: August 27, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Nice group
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14746 on: August 27, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
This is my new Northern Mist Shelton. It's 53#@26.5 in. The date on the last two pics is wrong. My photography skills are terrible. These pics don't do it justice.

cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14747 on: August 27, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Very nice! I need to get a Shelton one of these days!
Chuck

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14748 on: August 27, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Gorgeous bow.  What's the woods?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14749 on: August 27, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Anyone know anything about the Hill Centennial limited edition bows? 1899-1999? Please PM me if you do. I have an opportunity to buy one. Going to meet the guy Thursday.

Thank you.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14750 on: August 27, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Thanks Brian and akbowbender. It's bamboo cores and stained American Elm. The riser is wenge.
"River from above"

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14751 on: August 27, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Cahaba, that is a beauty!  I'm on Steve's list for a Shelton.  Was going with brown glass, but that American Elm is amazing!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14752 on: August 27, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pokerdaddy:
Cahaba, that is a beauty!  I'm on Steve's list for a Shelton.  Was going with brown glass, but that American Elm is amazing!
Thanks Pokerdaddy. You will like yours.I really like how it shoots. I got a wedge style grip and the more I shoot it the more I like the grip. The way Steve molded the grip it just melts into your hand. It's shoots smoothe as butter.
"River from above"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14753 on: August 27, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
A little archery golf anyone!!

« Reply #14754 on: August 27, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
We would have the perfect place for that here, but we are not allowed. Funny thing is when it was still a golf course no one cared if I went out there and shot at ground squirrels and such. No one cared when we shot out there after it closed and we had our chance to play some archery golf. Now that it has been closed for a few years and gone to the weeds, the local archery club has made it off limits since they have a few targets way in the one back corner and we are not allowed to stump shoot there any longer.  They don't really own it they have just been given permission to use that back corner and it gets very little use and to put on a couple of shoots. I bet someone is really going to go off when I go out there with my 410 when all of those doves start stacking up on it.  We were allowed to hunt it before and there are no signs that says any different now.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14755 on: August 28, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Won't be long now!!!! I just talked to James at JD Berry and he said my Northstar is complete!!!!  He is trying to get it mailed off today so ill have it by Saturday because he knows I'm working out of town and I'd have to wait untill next weekend to pick it up if I miss it this weekend. I am stoked

It came in at 54&26 62" long. All yew limbs, brown glass back, clear belly and myrtle riser.  Oh how time just slowed down

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14756 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by cahaba:
Thanks Brian and akbowbender. It's bamboo cores and stained American Elm. The riser is wenge.
The stained Elm is awesome. Thanks for the pictures.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14757 on: August 28, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Here's Butch having some "Hill style" fun!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14758 on: August 28, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
I'd like to hear some comparisons between that Toelke Super D and other Hill style bows if possible nineworlds9.
Honestly the thing shoots just like a Hill bow, but a little quicker of course, I imagine that's the extra reflex in the limbs.  It is just as quiet as any Hill bow I've shot and the soft thump feels about the same as the 66" Old Tom I had, prolly just a bit softer though.  Braced it makes a perfect D shape.  I mean other than a slight difference in riser shape this thing is so slender and graceful it almost could be a Hill bow?  I wonder if they'd let me get away with it at the Hill Gang Hog Hunt, LOL??  

Anyway, I just sold the righty Shrew Hill on the board today, went in a matter of hours.  That was one sweet sweet bow, best Hill bow I've ever had the pleasure of owning.  Alas, a bout of tendonitis in my right elbow, "golfers elbow", is making shooting right no good fun right now, and I hate a rack queen, so I decided to let her go since I'm a primary lefty.

I am eyeballing chetterB's Big River 66" phenolic Hill right now hardcore being that its a lefty.  I dunno though.  Right now I have ideas to order a custom 70" 90-100# Tembo from HHA to use with the warbow arrows I have left from my warbow days from last year.  I feel the need to pull something heavy again.  Prolly not the wisest thing what with my elbow and all, but I tell yeah I have zero issues shooting left since its pushing on my bow arm, its pulling with the bad elbow thats the problem.  

I want to make the heavy Tembo black and gray and call it the Werewolf.  Seems an apt name for a 90-100# hogslayer?? LOL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14759 on: August 28, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
ChetterB sent me some good pics.  I'm going to go ahead and buy Lamont Grangers 'old' bow.  Looks like a dandy. That black riser and white glass did it for me.  Will be nice to have a lefty Hill bow again.  Black is beautiful.  Might have to sell the Super D, LOL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©