3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 140515 times)

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #7400 on: February 09, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
There's a bow of mine going in for some work and a refinish. Problem is I send it out priority mail (2-3 day) and it's been a week and a half already. Craig hasn't seen it and nobody at the post office knows where it is right now. Hopefully they find it soon.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline EastTexasRedneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7401 on: February 09, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Chris, How long will you have to wait for your new bow? Sounds awesome.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7402 on: February 09, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
3 to 4 weeks was stated but I know he has had some shorter lead times.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7403 on: February 09, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Nice find Jeff.
  I read; No pushing the bow arm towards the target, no tension, just bring the bow arm up, have it in the slightly bent position and don't allow it to fold up upon drawing, don't force it towards the target just keep it extended.
  Think of a "fire hose" under pressure, it is stiff but you can still point it all over the place.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7404 on: February 09, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Stiff tips on a 65#er    

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7405 on: February 09, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChrisM:
3 to 4 weeks was stated but I know he has had some shorter lead times.
I bet 2 weeks, tops.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7406 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
I got a cheetah in the works as we speak, I'm hoping Craig provides his usual 'ahead of deadline' service......
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7407 on: February 09, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by khardrunner:
There's a bow of mine going in for some work and a refinish. Problem is I send it out priority mail (2-3 day) and it's been a week and a half already. Craig hasn't seen it and nobody at the post office knows where it is right now. Hopefully they find it soon.
Uhg, that's not what I want to hear.  I was going to ship insured and delivery confirmation which should give me a tracking number to use, hopefully making it easier for them to track.

I hope yours shows up soon.  I know that I hear about them eventually making it after some period of time.  Hopefully that's the case for you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7408 on: February 09, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Yeah I hate to put a damper on your anticipation. This one is insured. It would be much easier if they would just find it!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7409 on: February 09, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
ChrisM
Craig is VERY quick.  Bet you have it back much sooner however I don't what his current load might be.  
My experience has been nothing but good+++ @ HH.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7410 on: February 09, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
Nice find Jeff.
  I read; No pushing the bow arm towards the target, no tension, just bring the bow arm up, have it in the slightly bent position and don't allow it to fold up upon drawing, don't force it towards the target just keep it extended.
  Think of a "fire hose" under pressure, it is stiff but you can still point it all over the place.
:thumbsup:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7411 on: February 09, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
The "Firehose" analogy was personally beat into my soul way back in the early 70s by an old Chinese Master. It still holds true today.

If your mind can envision the power of water flowing powerfully through and out your arm, nothing, and I mean nothing can bend that arm.

Be like water my friend. Be like water. . .

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7412 on: February 09, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I hear ya Rik ...

I learnt the same thing ... for a different equally cool art .....
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7413 on: February 10, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
I would like to hear from those who have had experience with forward handle risers and what your impressions are compared to a standard riser.
Thanks,

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7414 on: February 10, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
oops! Maybe I should have  said reverse handle.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7415 on: February 10, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
58winters, the forward riser bow is less likely to torque on you if your form is a bit off at the shot.  However, I have shot the regular style riser for so long that I just didn't adjust to the forward riser and decided to just stick with the feel I'm accustomed to. Yesterday I got to shoot my buddy's new Northern Mist Whisper which is a reverse/forward grip and it was a little larger than the one on the bow I had and I think if mine had been like his I would have liked it a lot more.  I bought mine used and it had a quite small handle and my hands are pretty big--that was definitely a factor in my assesment.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

« Reply #7416 on: February 10, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
My son is convinced that the Northern Mist whisper is the most accurate and nicest shooting bow that he has ever shot. He is a super shot and fussy about the smallest details, he is trying to sell me on them, he may win on this one.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7417 on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
pavan
Do you know what the core wood on your sons Whisper is?  Steve offers quite a variety in core woods.
It seems to me that the reverse handle would excel in pointability and as David pointed out be less sensitive to torque.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7418 on: February 10, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
In our discussion about the water hose analogy, I ended with a paraphrased quote. The original quote was from Bruce Lee, who was even more of a philosopher than he was a martial artist. For those of you who are not familiar with it, here is the entire quote:

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

Here is a second quote from him you may find of use. As you can see, it is about martial arts, but as you can also see, it applies equally well to archery—which to me and most of your ancestors—is also a martial art.

"Too much horsing around with unrealistic stances and classic forms and rituals is just too artificial and mechanical, and doesn't really prepare the student for actual combat. A guy could get clobbered while getting into this classical mess. Classical methods like these, which I consider a form of paralysis, only solidify and constrain what was once fluid. Their practitioners are merely blindly rehearsing routines and stunts that will lead nowhere.
I believe that the only way to teach anyone proper self-defence is to approach each individual personally. Each one of us is different and each one of us should be taught the correct form. By correct form I mean the most useful techniques the person is inclined toward. Find his ability and then develop these techniques. I don't think it is important whether a side kick is performed with the heel higher than the toes, as long as the fundamental principle is not violated. Most classical martial arts training is a mere imitative repetition - a product - and individuality is lost.
When one has reached maturity in the art, one will have a formless form. It is like ice dissolving in water. When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style."

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7419 on: February 10, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Thanks for your response David.I too like a larger grip. The little guys feel good but it is too easy to get my hand into a torqueing scenario at draw.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©