3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 140516 times)

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #7420 on: February 10, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Thanks Rik, I like it.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7421 on: February 10, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Cool stuff Rik.RC

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7422 on: February 10, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
Rik-

Good stuff, I like this part of the quote.

"When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style."

When you look at Howard Hill drawing the bow it looks so natural and he looks comfortable. This is because he reached his maturity in the art of archer.

"When one has reached maturity in the art, one will have a formless form."

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7423 on: February 10, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Rik,

That is some interesting and thought provoking information.  Archery is a martial art.
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7424 on: February 10, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Mr Hinton ...
Are you sure we ain't related ?
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7425 on: February 10, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
we do this repetitious shooting into the bales and long shooting to develop our form until the shooting act is almost 'thoughtless'....only then can we concentrate on the target with the intensity needed for very accurate instinctive shooting.  And we respond to the target/shot scenario much like a martial artist responds to the situation faced.

when I am shooting well,  and I try to get into this shooting state every time now,  I see the arrow being drawn back by my hand in my peripheral vision....but once I'm at full draw, the string and hand are not visible (but they feel as if they're behind me) and my mind and body are now the arrow and where I look is where my mind is aimed, and I will leap forward at the shot to bury myself into the target.  And I will not miss because I have control over my body.  Kinda like feeling myself run into the target, I won't miss...

I think this is what Byron means when you 'become the arrow'...I shoot very accurately for me when I shoot this way and any target out to about 80 yards is in grave danger.

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7426 on: February 10, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Rik,

I'm impressed. I didn't think anyone even remembered Bruce Lee anymore. He's one of those people I'd like to have met.

Well done.   :thumbsup:
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7427 on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
My friend's grandfather was one of Bruce Lee's students...his stories are incredible.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7428 on: February 10, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Jon ... he is still a hero of mine ... my search for fluidity and adapatability [JKD]  is one of the things that tends to lead me to the swing draw ...

On a side note ... I have two new Hill style bows on order ...

Not tellin' which but ....
J.R.R TOLKIEN

« Reply #7429 on: February 10, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by sunset hill:
we do this repetitious shooting into the bales and long shooting to develop our form until the shooting act is almost 'thoughtless'....only then can we concentrate on the target with the intensity needed for very accurate instinctive shooting.  

I think this is what Byron means when you 'become the arrow'...
Yes....that is true and very clearly communicated Nate.  I can remember back in 1976 when I took a long ride out to Wyoming with a couple of buddies for a two week Whitetail hunt.  I was hunting/scouting some gorgeous territory one morning and ran across a string of barbed wire.  I remember looking down the strand to my right as I pushed the wire down and stepped over it with my left leg.  Holding my bow with my finger curled around the knocked arrow I began to push the wire down to clear my right leg to continue but caught a movement to my left and turned to see a nice eight pointer lookin at me about 25 yards away...slightly up a steep grade through some young saplings.  

Without even thinking, while straddling the barbs, I swung to the left and up at the same time drawing and the arrow was gone.  The buck jumped vertically taking two bucking leaps up the grade, turning towards me and did an amazing mid-air flip over on his back.  Never moved after that.   And I stood there with that barbed wire in my crotch for what seemed to be an eternity wondering what happened.

For several years prior to that experience I shot my bow every day and seemingly all day long on the weekends religiously for that moment.

Truly magic and dumbfounding...truly instinctive and unforgettable.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7430 on: February 10, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Tony thank you for that story.  Wow!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7431 on: February 10, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Ben,  mate....

if you are adding on to the house to accomodate the new bow collection, don't do it....save the remodel money for hunting!

you must be getting tight quarters for the bowstash by now....how they all getting along?  crocs rubbing shoulders with wesleys and redmen?

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7432 on: February 10, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Nate ... I had a bit of a give away and fire sale  over the past few months ...
the bow rack is back to the  barest of  essentials ... 3 bows and a bunch of arrows

Until "Hood" turns up .......   :goldtooth:
J.R.R TOLKIEN

« Reply #7433 on: February 10, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Maher:
.....Until "Hood" turns up .......    :saywhat:

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7434 on: February 10, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Mmmmm ... well I would ... but I won't.

Y'all just have to wait !
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7435 on: February 10, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I hear you Ben. I still read parts of the Tao of JKD when I'm struggling with a rough spot. It's like renewing your perspective.

Anyway, enough of that. About your two new acquisitions, it's just cruel to make us wait. Hints only make it worse. :)
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7436 on: February 10, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Jon ...
lets just say that one of these bows will be the culmination of years of suggesting, hinting and begging ...
And it will be a bow that'll take pride of place in my bow rack ... a bow bred to hunt the Sambar stags that live in our high country ... the flighty but beautiful fallow bucks of our low hills ... the dusty angry boars of our plains ... and a companion for this ol' Robin Hood nerd to take a rovin across the pine plantations and fields loosing well made wooden shafts "at the mark" over yonder .....
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7437 on: February 10, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
beautifully stated sensei:)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7438 on: February 11, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
This article is about a special visit Howard Hill took to Japan.

Longbows & Short Shots

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7439 on: February 11, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
To shift gears a moment--this week I went stumping with a buddy who was shooting a "new to him" Hill bow he bought here on the classifieds.  It was carmelized boo, and the lams were laminated boo--vertically laminated like actionwood.  Is that what all the carmelized boo limbs are from Hill?  Just hadn't heard they are vertically laminated.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©