3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 140511 times)

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #7440 on: February 11, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Dragonheart now you see why I wanted those early issues of the digest as well. I have a few but not the early ones. I would like to find the one with the John Schulz interview as well. Thanks for sharing. Flint

« Reply #7441 on: February 11, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
To shift gears a moment--this week I went stumping with a buddy who was shooting a "new to him" Hill bow he bought here on the classifieds.  It was carmelized boo, and the lams were laminated boo--vertically laminated like actionwood.  Is that what all the carmelized boo limbs are from Hill?  Just hadn't heard they are vertically laminated.
David,
Just took a closer look on the belly of my Half Breed.  Dang if it ain't true!

If you don't look closely it appears to be one piece but I can see shifts in the nodes which would indicate laminated strips.   Surprised me but it looks beautiful and shoots just dandy for me.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7442 on: February 11, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tony Van Dort:

Originally posted by sunset hill:
we do this repetitious shooting into the bales and long shooting to develop our form until the shooting act is almost 'thoughtless'....only then can we concentrate on the target with the intensity needed for very accurate instinctive shooting.  

I think this is what Byron means when you 'become the arrow'...
Yes....that is true and very clearly communicated Nate.  I can remember back in 1976 when I took a long ride out to Wyoming with a couple of buddies for a two week Whitetail hunt.  I was hunting/scouting some gorgeous territory one morning and ran across a string of barbed wire.  I remember looking down the strand to my right as I pushed the wire down and stepped over it with my left leg.  Holding my bow with my finger curled around the knocked arrow I began to push the wire down to clear my right leg to continue but caught a movement to my left and turned to see a nice eight pointer lookin at me about 25 yards away...slightly up a steep grade through some young saplings.  

Without even thinking, while straddling the barbs, I swung to the left and up at the same time drawing and the arrow was gone.  The buck jumped vertically taking two bucking leaps up the grade, turning towards me and did an amazing mid-air flip over on his back.  Never moved after that.   And I stood there with that barbed wire in my crotch for what seemed to be an eternity wondering what happened.

For several years prior to that experience I shot my bow every day and seemingly all day long on the weekends religiously for that moment.

Truly magic and dumbfounding...truly instinctive and unforgettable. [/b]
That is the definition of instinctive archery; case closed.   :archer2:
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7443 on: February 11, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Flint,

email sent
Longbows & Short Shots

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7444 on: February 11, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Tony that was what tipped us off about my friend's bow--the nodes didn't line up across the limbs. Wonder if they even use regular boo lams that are carmelized.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

« Reply #7445 on: February 11, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
I have all of the Digest issues somewhere. I am trying to recall the specifics of a conversation I had with him about his bow tests. i remember he was stunned with the Schulz test he did. Louis Armbruster, on the other hand, was a little disappointed when one of his bows were tested. We ran the same bow through a similar test and came up with much higher numbers. Louis wanted me to shoot the same tested bow. Even at a 27" draw I got more speed out of it with the same weight arrow, Louis said the difference had to be in the release.  Ever since,I have taken stated arrow speeds with a grain of salt, so to speak, because of release variances. Enough power is enough power, the important stuff, like is it fun and is it accurate counts for more. Not dissing Harvey's magazine at all, I looked forward to every issue, just saying the only thing cut in stone in trad longbow hunting is flint hunting points.

« Reply #7446 on: February 11, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
..... Enough power is enough power, the important stuff, like "is it fun" and "is it accurate" counts for more....
Are we havin' fun yet?     :saywhat:

« Reply #7447 on: February 11, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Tony that was what tipped us off about my friend's bow--the nodes didn't line up across the limbs. Wonder if they even use regular boo lams that are carmelized.
And it makes me wonder...too.  It does, however, look very cool and, since all of the strength of the fiber is linear, it really make no difference in performance...actually, it may even be better since the "nodes" are staggred.  I really like the look under clear glass and the bow shoots just dandy...imo.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7448 on: February 11, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that the bamboo in my new Sunset Hill will be linear.

I think I ordered bamboo....lol  Yeah it was.. and with brown and old ivory glass.

I have a mind like a steel trap but I think it's been sitting in a frozen pond...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7449 on: February 11, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tony Van Dort:

To shift gears a moment--this week I went stumping with a buddy who was shooting a "new to him" Hill bow he bought here on the classifieds.  It was carmelized boo, and the lams were laminated boo--vertically laminated like actionwood.  Is that what all the carmelized boo limbs are from Hill?  Just hadn't heard they are vertically laminated.
David,
Just took a closer look on the belly of my Half Breed.  Dang if it ain't true!

If you don't look closely it appears to be one piece but I can see shifts in the nodes which would indicate laminated strips.   Surprised me but it looks beautiful and shoots just dandy for me. [/b]
Didn't even notice but the carmalized boo limbs on my Tembo are laminated too. I should have realized it.  None of the nodes go more than a third across the back in any one spot.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7450 on: February 11, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Well Hill Guys,

Its 22-degrees outdoors (with snow on the ground) in my part of Kentucky.  The wind is blowing at 25 to 30 mph in gusts.

I‘ve been up on the hill above my house shooting both my Tembo and my Northern Mist Shelton w/green glass (see page 147 of this thread). Shot about 100 arrows each out of each bow into roll bails. After a while you forget it cold and windy!

It sure is a lot of fun shooting the Hill style bows along with reading and talking about them.  Just had to fling some arrows!
  :archer:      :archer2:
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

« Reply #7451 on: February 11, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Hey Larry....great to see you again.  

You have colder temps and more snow than we do here in Northern Mich.  Strange indeed.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7452 on: February 11, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Hi Larry

I dont feel so bad now if its that cold down there.  :D  

Maybe I will go fling a few.

Eric

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7453 on: February 11, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Larry...nice to hear you're out shooting.  Old dogs can always learn new tricks if they keep on shooting long enough.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7454 on: February 11, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
I was wondering do any of you guys that shoot like 10 bows when you switch from one to the other have any issues getting reaclimated to the next bow. For example if your shooting a HH cheetah for a while and you switch to a John Schulz then back to a HH tembo are you shooting them equally well or are you haveing to take a time period to readjust to the next bow?

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7455 on: February 11, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Maybe a bunch of you should go out and join Eric and me flingin' some arrows while we still have some daylight!!!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7456 on: February 11, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by MikeNova:
I was wondering do any of you guys that shoot like 10 bows when you switch from one to the other have any issues getting reaclimated to the next bow. For example if your shooting a HH cheetah for a while and you switch to a John Schulz then back to a HH tembo are you shooting them equally well or are you haveing to take a time period to readjust to the next bow?
At shorter distances like 20 yards and under, I can dial right in. However, over 20 yards, I need to shoot a few arrows to get into the groove.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7457 on: February 11, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
I am in trying to shoot just one.  In recovery from bow addiction!     :laughing:   Hi my name is...

I believe we are far better off for accuracy if we just shoot one bow.  With that said, I am working to practice that! It takes me far more time to switch and get "grooved in" than it ever has.  Trying left handed, that gots really interesting! :D
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7458 on: February 11, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Quick question guys.  For a Hill bow which string do you prefer, B50 or FF?
Currently I have only shot FF except for a few shots through Dragonhearts bow.  Which is quiter, more forgiving.  Speed difference is of no real concern.
Thanks

I really wish there was spell check.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7459 on: February 11, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Jeff-

On the Hill hunt thread I asked the guys to send you a pm with their shirt size.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©