3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH bug got me ... Part One!  (Read 140485 times)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH bug got me ... Part One!
« Reply #7540 on: February 14, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
I'm not a one size fits all kind of guy, lots of guys here shoot 3 under too. I really noticed it easier to draw with back muscles with the index at corner of mouth, for me.

I was playing around and you may even find the jaw bone easier to get to that way.

I thought the arrow closer to the eye made sense too, but now I don't think it makes any difference at all.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7541 on: February 14, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Absolutely.... Now, for those of you that can Hit'em like Howard, good for you. Or, if your all set.... good for you.
 For the rest of us humble humans who strive to be good at what we do, not just say we are, what do you think of this.....If you look at the above photo, you can see that the nock is under my right eye, and the point is under my left eye,  {the pic is flipped backwards, I know, but bear with me}   , but my eyes are looking toward the target. So I think it is as this, both of my eyes are on the target, better depth perception, the arrow is just inside, but still underneath them in my peripheral vision, better for getting the shot lined up, both together, the style forms a quasi range finding triangulation effect.  What I found is, out to about 50yds, the arrow point is quite close to the target when using split vision at full draw, even with my compact 26.5" draw.

« Reply #7542 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
Absolutely.... Now, for those of you that can Hit'em like Howard, good for you. Or, if your all set.... good for you.
 For the rest of us humble humans who strive to be good at what we do, not just say we are, what do you think of this.....
Ouch!   :confused:

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7543 on: February 14, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
I think the way a fellow anchors is best determined by facial structure and hand size.I must have a long face because a thumb behind the ear and the finger at the corner of the mouth ain`t happening.But I do anchor the way that is most comfortable and I try my best to do it the same everytime without thinking about it.
  I believe when you have ALL of your focus on whats in front of you instead of whats in your hand or touching your face you will be on the road to having your very best accurracy.Its really a simple thing and to much "thinking" and "changing" is a bad thing. Don`t try to shoot like someone else. Develop a style that feels best and works best for you and could be you may end up hitting them like Howard Hill....RC

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7544 on: February 14, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
I hear you RC. I remember Howard's anchor was on a missing lower rear tooth hole.
  If I may elaborate on what you said about "concentrating on what's in front of you."  I find it a less self doubting shot. When I reach full draw I am not as distracted by having all the arrow under my eye, like open sights on a rifle, but angled out, then triangled out front so I only really notice where the point is. Seems to work pretty good.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7545 on: February 14, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Using my index finger to anchor was real foreign feeling when I started with it around noon but it's coming along and accuracy is starting to pick up.

I see what Swampthing is talking about.. or better yet it's what I'm not seeing that's better...lol

It's a lot easier to keep the arrow out of my view.

I have to be honest and tell you that if I see too much of the arrow, I might as well let down and start over because nothing good ever came of it for me.

I need to totally focus on what it is I want to hit.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7546 on: February 15, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
I have a general question regarding HH's when they are marked certain #'s @ 29" yet I draw 27 1/2. Is this any real issue versus one marked 28"'s for instance? Is the tillering such that the bow is not as efficient vs one marked closer to my actual draw? I understand that there is an approximate 3 lb. drop per inch but I'm asking the question simply from the standpoint of bow efficiency? Not sure if I explained this well enough.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7547 on: February 15, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
I doubt there's a difference, at least any perceptible one.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7548 on: February 15, 2012, 06:12:00 AM »
I shot three under a good bit this season and I had to almost make myself not "see" the arrow.When I was locked on target and did`nt notice it I shot really good. Going back to split finger I never see the arrow or at least think I see it.As Brother Mudd said if I get distracted from the shot it aint gonna be good.
   I put my Hill down this year because my elbow was hurt. The extra "jar" from shooting three under did`nt help.Some say shooting three under does not change the way the bow shoots but in my experience it did. It went from being super quiet to a bit loud and uncomfortable. I`m going back to split and getting a String Follow and plan on bleeding some stuff this year Hill style. Lord willing of course.
  I`m headed to Ocmulgee WMA this Morning with Brother John after critters. See ya`ll tonight.RC

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7549 on: February 15, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by RC:
   I`m going back to split and getting a String Follow and plan on bleeding some stuff this year Hill style. Lord willing of course.  I`m going back to split and getting a String Follow and plan on bleeding some stuff this year Hill style. Lord willing of course.

Giddyuppp!!! RC !!!!!!!

My string follow's with a low stretch string and 10gpp arrow are the perfect remedy to elbow whack ...
Get into 'em mate !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7550 on: February 15, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by RC:
   I`m going back to split and getting a String Follow and plan on bleeding some stuff this year Hill style. Lord willing of course.  I`m going back to split and getting a String Follow and plan on bleeding some stuff this year Hill style. Lord willing of course.

Giddyuppp!!! RC !!!!!!!

My string follow's with a low stretch string and 10gpp arrow are the perfect remedy to elbow whack ...
Get into 'em mate !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7551 on: February 15, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Sic'em RC!

The recent modifications I've made to my shooting style and anchor has created another problem for me.

I hate building arrows or working on them but I am now being forced into replacing broken nocks. aaarrrgggghhh!!!....lol

I love my Hills and Hill style bows...and the best(hopefully) is yet to come.

I'm almost positive that Nate will make sure to build in as many center(X)shots as possible in my new Sunset Hill.

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7552 on: February 15, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Mudd: your problem is easily solved-just aim each arrow at a new spot-wholla no more busted nocks!
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7553 on: February 15, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
That's why I only practice with one arrow.

Plus, it's a bit more like hunting. With one shot, you have to make it a good one.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7554 on: February 15, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Hey Mud, 70kg burlap bail from Columbia?  Whataupto out there?   :biglaugh:
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7555 on: February 15, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
Those burlap bags are from the Lakota Coffee shop and they work great for making targets.

The arrows are as easily pulled as an eternity target.

The only draw back is I'm limited to field points only.

Rik,if I weren't so lazy I'd just shoot one at a time too...lol

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7556 on: February 15, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Come on Mudd lakota coffee shop thats what they all say.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7557 on: February 15, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Hey... you guys are right!!!

One shot....one kill.... and no broken nock...lol

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7558 on: February 15, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Can anyone tell me that has white glass on their bow if it will yellow over time or does it stay bright white.  I love the looks of the antique white on the bows that Oliverstacey posted up.  I was just wondering if I got white glass on the belly of a new Hill if it would kinda yellow up with age and give it that antique look.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7559 on: February 15, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Tadpole...depends on the type of finish used...certain lacquers and epoxy finishes won't yellow at all.  Certain poly finishes yellow really quickly depending on exposure to u.v. light.  by the way...be watching the mail.. ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©